Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Spence1097
Interestingly enough my gate was C12 next to security, and my flight was delayed for a couple hours....after my dinner I sat watching security for almost 2 hours counting opt outs, roughly 4/10 would opt out during this time period at this checkpoint.
^^^
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Does anyone have any experiences with Non-US NoS? I know there's one at AMS.
In AMS you can opt out. They make a big show out of trying to get you not to, and then in groping you when you don't take them up on the second chance to walk through the NoS. At airports in Russia where I've seen them there is no opportunity to pt out.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Does anyone have any experiences with Non-US NoS? I know there's one at AMS.
See my observations of AMS at this thread.

Of course, YMMV. Things may have changed since April, and the procedures may be different if you're flying to the US rather than to SIN as I was.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by jampa
I would suggest you post your Q on the tsa's blog itself and see what BB has to say.
I would, but I want an answer grounded in reality, not security-threat-fantasy-land.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by L-1011
The pat-down screener came over and asked me if I had I had any sensitive areas, I answered, "Yes, between my legs".
Brilliant. I'll have to remember that one.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
SJC Opt-out today

It was only a matter of time, but I did my part today to help out the opt-out numbers. All other transits through SJC since June have been when the NoS was either not in use or security contained one lane using the WTMD. Today I had no such luck. I entered security at an off-peak time, so there was only one lane with NoS being used as primary. While this would be my first opt-out, I was prepared to stand my ground and had all of the time in the world before my flight to waste. Thankfully there was no drama, no arguing, no retaliation by the TSOs.

I told the TSO that I would be opting out, and he got on the radio. I walked through the WTMD and waited for another TSO to do the pat down. He collected my items from the x-ray and took me over to the ETD machine.

I experienced what I would call a semi-enhanced pat down. It was open palm, but I didn't experience the scalp massage, patting of bare skin, or 'cupping' some have written about here. I would say it was thorough but no more invasive than the pat downs I've received at European airports. Upon completion the TSO said, "You're good to go! ^"

I'm hoping all future opt-outs are this hassle free. I'll be flying out on Saturday from GRR, an airport which just received the NoSs. I imagine it'll be fun!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
This is sickening!

From the Consumerist:
Pregnant Traveler: TSA Screeners Bullied Me Into Full-Body Scan

The two TSA agents asked me, "Why don't you want to go through this?" I said, "I don't trust it." They said, "Why don't you trust it?" I said, "I am pregnant and would rather be pat down." And they said, "Oh but you get ultrasounds, don't you?"

I answered yes and the TSA officer said, "Oh it is less than an ultrasound, and it's really easy so just go through."

The TSA officers are doctors now??

They repeated again for me to just go through the scanner and it would be done in 5 seconds. I was literally in tears because I wanted a pat-down instead of going through the machine, and I felt they declined me that option. No matter how much I pushed for a hand pat-down, they pushed harder for the machine.

Then, after I stood in the machine, the officer waiting on the other side of it patronized me by cooing, "There, that was easy, wasn't it?"

I mentioned that I was forced to do it and went to the belt to take my possessions, while tears ran from my eyes.

I really felt the TSA agents were just being lazy since a pat down obviously takes more time for them, but I also feel like when I specifically ask for something that is an option for me, I should be able to get it.
http://consumerist.com/2010/09/pregn...body-scan.html

TSA F--- Y--

Last edited by Wimpie; Sep 9, 2010 at 12:25 pm
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
At YYZ you get the full-on grope if you opt out of the NoS. What I don't understand ... why do your bags get uber-searched if you opt out of the NoS? Aren't all bags created equal? The people who are willing to go through the NoS are less likely to have dangerous items in their bags? (and there is no way they could statistically know that this quickly).

Clearly the full-on bag check is another retaliation for declining the NoS. One of these days I'm going to gather the courage to pack a vibrator in my carry-on just so they have to take it out and turn it on .
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Post Pregnant Traveler: TSA Screeners Bullied Me Into Full-Body Scan

Pregnant Traveler: TSA Screeners Bullied Me Into Full-Body Scan

Consumerist.com
Pregnant Consumerist reader Mary was recently going through the security checkpoint at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. When she realized that she would be going through a full-body scanner, she told the screeners she wanted to exercise her right to a pat-down -- even if it meant experiencing the TSA's new, icky "enhanced" pat-down. But instead of the screeners doing as she requested, Mary claims they proceeded to bully her into the scanner.

Let's hear it straight from Mary:

The two TSA agents asked me, "Why don't you want to go through this?" I said, "I don't trust it." They said, "Why don't you trust it?" I said, "I am pregnant and would rather be pat down." And they said, "Oh but you get ultrasounds, don't you?"

I answered yes and the TSA officer said, "Oh it is less than an ultrasound, and it's really easy so just go through."

The TSA officers are doctors now??
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
More people need to learn to just say "No" and stick to it. One of the first basic things everyone needs to know about saying "no" is that you don't offer excuses, you don't give a reason, you just state "No" and move on. Acceptable alternatives are "I'm sorry, that won't be possible" or "No thank you". Repeated pressuring for "Why" should lead to a "I declined. Why are you pressing the issue?"

Unfortunately the general public isn't up to snuff on their rights when it comes to airline travel.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phedre
More people need to learn to just say "No" and stick to it. One of the first basic things everyone needs to know about saying "no" is that you don't offer excuses, you don't give a reason, you just state "No" and move on. Acceptable alternatives are "I'm sorry, that won't be possible" or "No thank you". Repeated pressuring for "Why" should lead to a "I declined. Why are you pressing the issue?"

Unfortunately the general public isn't up to snuff on their rights when it comes to airline travel.
While I agree that people need to stand up to TSA there also needs to be some penalty for TSA employees who violate the public trust, such as this case. Surely these TSA employees knew a person could Opt Out and if not they should have not been on the job.

I would suggest something along the line of a $1,000 personal fine for a first offense, $5,000 fine for a second offense or the employee could resign and if a third offense occurred then the employee would be fired for cause.

Those would be internal controls. Any legal options available to the public should be used as needed.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
While I agree that people need to stand up to TSA there also needs to be some penalty for TSA employees who violate the public trust, such as this case. Surely these TSA employees knew a person could Opt Out and if not they should have not been on the job.
I fully agree. These buffoons need documented penalties for infractions like not accepting proper ID, not informing passengers of their rights to opt out, etc. with guidelines for re-training.

Too many infractions? Out on your ....
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: Delta, United
FWIW - I went through BOS today. Terminal A Elite line which is on the far right. At the time the elite line had one line going to the TDC. After that the line split into two (I choose the right line). In the station between the lines for the Xray scanners there was a WTMD on the left and NOS on the right. A TSO was directing people from each line into either the WTMD or NoS. In general I would say it was random timing in terms of getting selected. As I was waiting for my stuff to enter the x-ray the TSO closed the NoS. Not sure why probably cause of backup of some sort as at that point nothing was going through the xray. Yet I did not see anyone getting a pat down. About the time the xray started going again it was opened again. At that point a pax from the left line was ushered to the NoS. As my stuff went into the xray another PAX from the left line was usher to the NoS line. I was usher to the WTMD which was as usual. So I avoided any hassle. While waiting for all of this I did see one person get a pat down. After collecting my stuff I saw another PAX get the NoS and then a pat down.

So I managed to avoid the NoS only by timing luck with out any real effort. Best of all no hassles with my box of canolas from Mike's which the Mrs and I enjoyed tonight .
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

I would suggest something along the line of a $1,000 personal fine for a first offense, $5,000 fine for a second offense or the employee could resign and if a third offense occurred then the employee would be fired for cause.

Those would be internal controls. Any legal options available to the public should be used as needed.
How about immediate termination for a first offense, as well as criminal prosecution for assault and/or for violating the passenger's civil rights under color of authority?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
New Sign

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.