Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Yes, he was quite specific and accurate. Hit everything he said he would and hit nothing he did not. I think they may have stepped up training a notch or two and it may be the reason it is sometimes hard to get a frisker. I suspect there may be a limited number with the newest training.
I don't know.

In SAN on Sunday (see previous post) he got nowhere near my crotch.

In ATL today (also see previous post) he got all up in my business and rooted around.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Please file a complaint against that idiot. 1-866-289-9673

Personally, if they had made me wait 30 minutes, I would have called the police. I see the potential 30 minute wait at unauthorized detention.
Originally Posted by Caradoc
So they planned to keep you separated from your carry-on and "stuff" for thirty minutes because the shift stuporvisor couldn't be arsed to schedule another half-trained moron to be on shift to cover opt-outs?

Wow.

I shouldn't be surprised, but every time I think I've seen the dumbest thing ever, the TSA just has to top it.
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Agree. I would also pay a personal visit to my congressional office. The delay is CLEAR retaliation.
Originally Posted by mikemey
I agree. It sounds like retaliation to me.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Seriously, next time something like this happens, start screaming for a supervisor and work your way up the food chain. If necessary, demand they call your airline's GSC over, who can bring the airport terminal manager over to get involved - if it's going to take them 30 mins, then make sure you make them suffer through every minute of it.

If they won't call the GSC, then tell them you want your stuff brought back and you're going back to the ticket counter to get them yourself - and if they refuse, escalate to an airport cop.

Any before anyone yells "armchair quarterback", I've done this very thing at SEA before, although it was over an ID issue, not a cancerbox.
Don't worry, my babies, I have bigger plans in store.

As for "my stuff" being out of view, the WTMD monitor was so overwhelmed by the entire process asking her for it elicited a blank stare.

Randy Wallingford, the TSA lead screener, had 3 different employees make multiple trips to bring my stuff back to me while I waited, which is when he made mention of the 30-minute wait.

He had the staff to move my stuff around, but not to grope me. That's odd.

And bocastephen, I agree completely with your assessment. Though I'm a non-exempt guest of the airline when I fly. Antics like that do not bode well for my family's financial well-being. And like CalVol, I was coming off of a sleep-deprived weekend where I didn't entirely have my wits about me. The TSA counts on the disorientation, and I'm glad I at least had my wits to opt out.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by barbell
I don't know.

In SAN on Sunday (see previous post) he got nowhere near my crotch.

In ATL today (also see previous post) he got all up in my business and rooted around.
Sorry to hear about this. I admire your composure. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to publish the names of folks who do this kind of uncalled for groping on an SPD. That sounds like a flat out assault to me.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
So he began his spiel:

TSA: I'll then place my hands on your upper leg and slide them up until I meet resistance"

barbell: I don't understand what you mean. What, exactly, are you going to touch.

TSA: I will slide my hand up your thigh until it meets resistance.

barbell: I assure you that there is nothing on the human body called "resistance."

TSA: It's the area where your leg meets your body.

barbell: You mean my crotch?

TSA: No, sir. The area where your leg meets your body.

barbell: That's what is known as my crotch. It is the area that includes my genitals. Are you telling me that you are going to rub my crotch?
It is evident the TSO and the supervisor are playing a word game in order to try to minimize the fact that they are touching your crotch.

While I understand that everyone's anatomy is different, I can assure you that I cannot stand with my feet spread apart enough so that someone's hand would not encounter my scrotum. It simply is not possible for a TSO to run their hand up my thigh until they reach "the area where your leg meets your body" without having contact with my testicles.

Any TSO that says that every male they do that thorough patdown on will not have their genitals touched is a bald faced liar.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
It is evident the TSO and the supervisor are playing a word game...
Indeed. For further evidence, see pat-down. I'd always thought of a pat-down as relatively unintrusive.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:04 am
Suspended

He had the staff to move my stuff around, but not to grope me. That's odd.
Maybe those staffers still hadn't passed their background checks, and weren't SSI-cleared to be trained to grope people yet.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhoenixRev
Any TSO that says that every male they do that thorough patdown on will not have their genitals touched is a bald faced liar.
It's been a long time since my gross anatomy classes, but I'm reasonably certain the statement would apply to everyone, not just males.

Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
TSA: I'll then place my hands on your upper leg and slide them up until I meet resistance"

barbell: I don't understand what you mean. What, exactly, are you going to touch.

TSA: I will slide my hand up your thigh until it meets resistance.

barbell: I assure you that there is nothing on the human body called "resistance."
{Lather rinse repeat}

We should all repeat this exact script, every time the screener uses such a phrase.

3 Stripe: There is no rubbing. You're welcome to leave right now.
What I wish I had the chutzpah to reply with, and I hope someone tries it: "Thank you very much! Per your direction, I will proceed directly to my gate."
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL 2.945MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond,
Departing MLB today Mrs Patom got forced to the NOS and opted out. She got the spiel about this is not an xray, etc but stood her ground. The "what I'm going to do speech" took longer than the actual frisk which was back of hand and no big deal.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:26 am

Just had my first opt-out experience a few minutes ago here at BOS Terminal C (AirTran c/p). When I approached the checkpoint, they were only using the WTMD, but as I got closer to the front of the line, they switched to Backscatter NOS only. An agent directed me to the NOS, and I told him that if they were going to make me go through it, I would opt out. The agent called for a male opt-out. He told me to wait near the NOS, but I moved to a different spot, so I wasn't so close to it, and also so I could see my belongings. After about a two minute wait, they let me go to the other side. An agent asked me to point out my belongings, and he transferred my stuff to a table. I had three bins, a suitcase, and my shoes, which was a lot to carry, so he placed my shoes on top of my jacket () and another bin directly on top of the bin with my laptop ( ). Next, he did the usual "pre-pat down" stuff, asking me if I had any sore spots, medical devices, or if I wanted a private room.

At this point, he began the pat down. He first asked me to face my belongings, and he kept me informed as to what he was doing. No touching of my "resistance" was involved. (He didn't even use the word "resistance" at any time during the pat down.) A swab of the agent's gloves concluded the pat down. All in all, not a bad experience for my first opt out. The agent was very professional, but I didn't like how he transferred my stuff to the search table.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Two at BUF to report:

September, noticed the lines were backed up at all WTMD except the far left, so sidled over there. Didn't see the dreaded blue boxes until too late. Opted out, as did my wife. Patdown was no big deal, as to be expected pre-rules change. The clerk did mention that "soon there would be no choice" and objected when I characterized the flying public choosing to go through this untested technology as "sheep".

Late January, my luck ran out again. We were running late for one of the last flights of the night and the checkpoint was nearly entirely closed down. No line, and I went first, getting the "belts off, nothing in pockets" speech. I ducked through the WTMD while the clerk was briefly distracted by a shiny object, but they called me back and turned me towards the NoS. I opted out and had the "humorous" experience of having four male TSA clerks standing around me telling that I'd have to wait until they had staff available to grope me.
The wait was only about 1 minute in the end, and while not appreciated, the grope was reasonably professional. He indicated that the gloves were new (although I didn't see, and didn't really have the time to be a @#$ about it), and my items were brought to me (although it didn't matter since there was literally nobody else going through the checkpoint and no TSA nearby my bags either). While he indicated that he would proceed until meeting resistance, I clarified that he had no right nor need to touch my genitals and he advised me that if I positioned my pants properly he wouldn't need to. I took the opportunity to share my viewpoints rather specifically on his organization's leadership and the complete idiocy of the entire procedure, as well as the questionable reliability and calibration of the machines in use. He admitted that nobody there had any idea when they were last inspected or calibrated, but pointed out that my argument around those machines was invalid since I had opted out. Well, yes and no...since that's obviously not my only problem with the security setup. They opened and re-ran my bag after I'd finished the grope, and I was on my way shortly thereafter. Total process time, under 5 minutes.

I have to say that while I am just as angry as others here about the complete lack of necessity for such idiotic and useless procedures, at least they were executed reasonably quickly, competently, and without crossing the line into sexual abuse. I told the LTSO as much.

And the bonus for opting out was that my wife was sent through the WTMD without having to opt out.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:44 pm

If you positioned your pants properly????
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
The clerk did mention that "soon there would be no choice"
??!?!?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Well, now... isn't THAT interesting?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Time to dust off the sling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.