Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:21 pm

LAX Delta opt-out

Opted out, yet again, at the Delta Security gate at LAX. OK experience, and my first time of opting-out at the same time as another passenger. I had to insist that I stand somewhere I could see my bags, but the TSA guy was OK about it. My agent was friendly and professional, and stopped short of the "groin area." Which was good for me, but reminded me (again) of why I think the whole thing is utter hogwash.

All my experiences to date have been OK and friendly. Maybe I'm lucky, or else it is because I have a pretty mellow personality to begin with. Takes a lot to upset me.

I do worry about my bags, and trying to maintain a visual on them is always the biggest stressor.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
What pinch will they feel?

They WANT us to stop flying to make their jobs easier. Don't kind yourself; there will be no workfarce reduction and then we'll have 60k people literally doing nothing on our dime.
Too late.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by electra
Opted out, yet again, at the Delta Security gate at LAX. OK experience, and my first time of opting-out at the same time as another passenger. I had to insist that I stand somewhere I could see my bags, but the TSA guy was OK about it. My agent was friendly and professional, and stopped short of the "groin area." Which was good for me, but reminded me (again) of why I think the whole thing is utter hogwash.

All my experiences to date have been OK and friendly. Maybe I'm lucky, or else it is because I have a pretty mellow personality to begin with. Takes a lot to upset me.

I do worry about my bags, and trying to maintain a visual on them is always the biggest stressor.
You are probably lucky and don't fly all that much.

As any ultra-frequent flyer will tell you (and there are some that are even more than me, and I travel every week), the majority of checkpoint experiences are almost tolerable, despite me disagreeing with the patdown. At least the agents are quick and generally polite.

Then, perhaps say 1 out of 20 times, I'll get some just simply awful, inhumane experience, and have to summon supervisor, or have some agent that starts yelling, or is otherwise off his rocker. If you fly once a month, this will happen very rarely. If you fly one place a week, this will happen almost every other month.

Most TSA guys are just simple people following orders and don't really care/believe in what they are doing. They are tolerable.

There are a few "Zimmerman" type agents that believe they are God-like and need to protect the airplane from YOU. They have fantasies of being in total control. These are the ones that can make your experience a nightmare.

Keep flying, unfortunately once you'll have a very bad experience. When you do, we'll be right here to hear your tale.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by cardiomd

There are a few "Zimmerman" type agents that believe they are God-like and need to protect the airplane from YOU.
Wow..... did you really need to go there to get your point across??
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by Tron37b
Wow..... did you really need to go there to get your point across??
Meh, it is just a little insightful hyperbole. It is not meant to offend, but I think it is useful to see parallels in the overboard "security mindset" even if it requires "going there."

Zimmerman was an over-zealous cop-wannabe, not qualified (some reports say rejected) for the actual police force, wanting to "do good" in his mind, but in fact did very, very, very bad. The similarities are quite clear, including elements of stereotyping and erroneous belief in accuracy of suspicious behavior detection.

Obviously being shot is infinitely worse, more heinous an act, but that was a split second decision that was led up to by his persistent flawed thinking.

If Zimmerman did not have a gun and instead the two had exchanged words or a fistfight, the nation likely would have never even about the case. If he became a TSA screener, I would bet he would be the type to yell at a well dressed cardiac surgeon while roughly brushing his crotch in a semi-retaliatory grope-down, as has recently happened to me (to bring the thread back on track.)
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by cardiomd
If he became a TSA screener, I would bet he would be the type to yell at a well dressed cardiac surgeon while roughly brushing his crotch in a semi-retaliatory grope-down, as has recently happened to me (to bring the thread back on track.)
Agreed. I recently had an opt out pat down at PDX that involved a pretty hard "resistance" check. So hard that it would qualify as more of a hit - I jumped a little when hand met resistance.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Agreed. I recently had an opt out pat down at PDX that involved a pretty hard "resistance" check. So hard that it would qualify as more of a hit - I jumped a little when hand met resistance.
Did they happen to call it doing "the business"? That's what I got when I went through PDX earlier this month. Luckily "the business" didn't make me jump.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:28 am

This is not an opt out story but a more of a request that will lead to an opt out story.

If an individual was wearing a kilt how could the TSA do the resistance check without exposing the persons "business" area?

Would the TSA request to pat you down in private?

Either way I think this situation would provide a good opt out story. Thoughts?
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:56 am

Here's a link to the story of one kilt-wearer's rendezvous with destiny...

http://subliminalpanda.blogspot.com/...ince-2010.html
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by flitcraft
Here's a link to the story of one kilt-wearer's rendezvous with destiny...

http://subliminalpanda.blogspot.com/...ince-2010.html
Thanks for the link. Great story!!

If that happened to me I would call the police! Why is it ok for the TSA to do this?? Anyone else would get arrested!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
My luck finally ran out at BOS Terminal B AA checkpoint this morning. NOS CLEARLY being used as a primary. Gatekeeper waved me to walk into the BKSX and I quickly replied "I opt out sir". No flames please . I always wait until the last possible second, in case i get waved to the WTMD. No reason to say anything any sooner IMO. Really made a mess out of the entry to the NOS. First time I have had to opt out. Immediate call for male assist on radio, no yelling or anything. No male assist showed up, so the male gatekeeper switched places with another TSO and did it himself. Started within about two minutes of my opt out. Very professional, informed me every step what he would do. Resistance check was not overly hard in my judgment. Noticeable but not painful in any way. Did not take long, didn't sense I was being retaliated against at all or anything.

Last edited by TheBOSman; Apr 1, 2012 at 8:44 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
BWI on Thurs 3/29 was a typical SDOO. They usually have at least one NoS free line open.

SLC T1 today, 4/1. NoS being used for primary as far as I can see, though some people are being directed to the WTMD. It's not looking good, so I throw my stuff down and try my luck. NoS. I opt out ... no crap given ... yet.

However, I go back to the conveyor to get my stuff as they told me to do that last time. Screener doesn't like it and he calls for a supervisor. 3 striper lady comes over and I told her why I did it - they wouldn't let me watch my stuff in the past and they told me not to send thru until they're ready with an opt out. I had names of employees who told me that ready if challenged further. She said I was correct - the screener thought I just didn't want to send my stuff thru the x-ray. Assist comes over, they tell me they're ready and I send my stuff thru.

Got the same patdown guy I got last time. As I go thru the WTMD, another screener told me I was right and that they would have a talk with him. He picked up my belongings and brought them to the patdown area. I asked him to change his gloves - no problem. He asked me if I knew the drill and said I must travel a lot. I said that I did, and he went on with it. Done in about 2 minutes. Very thorough. He always give a great massage.

Glad it didn't get ugly.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier
If I were an LEO at that airport and you had reported that to me I would have arrested the TSA agent who did that. =) I would imagine there are other LEO'S somewhere in American airports who are aware that some of these moat dragons and people giving the patdowns are breaking laws everyday.

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
My luck finally ran out at BOS Terminal B AA checkpoint this morning. NOS CLEARLY being used as a primary. Gatekeeper waved me to walk into the BKSX and I quickly replied "I opt out sir". No flames please . I always wait until the last possible second, in case i get waved to the WTMD. No reason to say anything any sooner IMO. Really made a mess out of the entry to the NOS. First time I have had to opt out. Immediate call for male assist on radio, no yelling or anything. No male assist showed up, so the male gatekeeper switched places with another TSO and did it himself. Started within about two minutes of my opt out. Very professional, informed me every step what he would do. Resistance check was not overly hard in my judgment. Noticeable but not painful in any way. Did not take long, didn't sense I was being retaliated against at all or anything.
But this gatekeeper is a "moat dragon" and is part of the problem...usually the moat-dragon TSA types are the ones that really cause the problems. Unless the pat-down agent talks down to you or touches you inappropriately you really shouldn't ever blame them...the MOAT DRAGON has the authority to allow you to use the WTMD. This is why I hate them. They set us up for sexual assaults and in my opinion should be held liable for their actions. Their time is coming once the courts realize the way they are picking people is based on protected statuses such as age and gender. They also may be discriminating based on sexual orientation since I've heard TSA supervisors say "families are exempt from MMW screening." Homosexuals usually don't have what the TSA calls "families" in the "stereotypical sense".....this crap is going to go to face a judge eventually that realizes the TSA and L3/OSI are breaking MAJOR laws. Like I've said before - this whole thing is a "Rosa Parks' scenario quite literally. MANY people are getting unfair screening with the body scanners solely based on their physical characteristics that they have no control over! Others are given expedited screening and preferential treatment based on being of a "preferred genetic/physical apperance." (Not good for functional security) The only way their little body scanner game could work is if they took the metal detectors out of the airports and COMPLETELY replaced them with the scanners (not that I advocate this either). The TSA is using qualitative/racial/age/&gender/(and possibly like I've said, sexual orientation) aspects to select people for scanning, which simply cannot be legal. Just because the majority doesn't have a problem with it, doesn't mean it's legal. I will always stand up for my rights and I will ensure that I use all my abilities to stand against what our politicians and these 2 companies (L3 & OSI) have done to my country.

Originally Posted by reamworks
You know, that's a great idea for a protest!

For us opt-outers--if you're ever stuck at the airport for a few hours:

Keep going 'round and 'round! Leave the secure area, and go back in, each time saying "I OPT OUT" and getting the TSA happy ending! If I'm traveling with someone who could watch my belongings on the inside (because each time through you run the risk of the TSA stealing your iPad in his secret pocket), and I'm bored, this would be a great activity.
Awesome!! Shows you how ignorant they truly are with this crap. And you are absolutely allowed to do enter/exit as MUCH as you please, don't let them tell you that you're not. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT as long as you are not behaving in a disorderly manner. And even then, if the LEO doesn't see it...and you aren't disrespectful/disorderly around him/her...the TSA can't do sh*t. I'm sure the TSA would probably be stupid enough to ask someone who did this to stop leaving the secure area if they want to fly. Tragic what our country's transportation system has turned into.

Originally Posted by KCSherri
As you can see from my screen name, I am not a frequent poster - so I apologize up front if I don't know all of the acronyms or abbreviations....

My family flies frequently from KC (MCI) to Ft Myers (RSW). We've been doing this every other month for the last two years, so I have the dreaded security song-and-dance down to a science. Or so I thought.

MCI has one AIT machine, and several WTMD's. I have instructed my family to always keep to the right while going through the lines, which always has us going through the WTMD's, as the solo AIT is to the left. Very easy to avoid.

RSW has ONLY had WTMD's - which has made it very nice flying back to KC. We were just there in December, so imagine my shock yesterday while standing in the line to get our squiggle on our BP when I saw that they have installed TWO AIT machines. Yikes. They have both these machines situated right next to their WTMD, so a traveler is left strictly up to the mercy of the TSO lady who directs you through either of the lines.

My 12-year old daughter went first, and she was pointed through the WTMD. I followed her, and was also directed to the left, the WTMD. Whew. Two down, two to go.

My 19-year old son got sent to the AIT. He immediately said, "I opt out." The TSO lady said, "WHAT??!!" very loudly. My son repeated, "I opt out." She immediately screams, at 120 decibels, "Male assist!" and then shakes her head at my son. Like she's chastising him!!!!

My son said, "What?? Why are you shaking your head at me like that?" And she said, "It's just like making a call on your cell phone."

Anyway, the male assist came and took my son to the footprints on the floor, where he did an EXTREMELY thorough pat-down. In fact, my Hubby, who was following my son, was also directed through the AIT, opted out, and received a pat down by a different TSO, and was finished BEFORE my son's pat down.

Both of these TSO's ALSO said, "It's no different than making a call on your cell phone." Argh. You can tell they've been coached to say that - as it was now the THIRD time in five minutes we'd been told that.

We've never had to opt out before - but we all learned some things. We forgot to have the TSO's put on new gloves before the pat down. We'll remember that next time. I also noticed that the TSO who was patting down my son had my son positioned so that his back was to the conveyor belt, thereby leaving all of my son's belongings out of his sight. Luckily, I was standing there, guarding his stuff, but I educated my son later and told him to ALWAYS keep his stuff within sight.

My hubby's TSO positioned him so that he was facing his stuff - in fact, he asked my Hubby prior to the pat-down, "Where's your stuff?" and when Hubby pointed, the TSO said, "You need to face it."

Just wanted to share - and to say how much I appreciate everyone's information here...long time lurker, just not a frequent poster.
I hope this B*tch moat dragon gets her day in the court of law or gets fired.

A mild hassle at SJC today (3/21) opting out of the Cancer-Scope.

I said, very politely, that I want to be hand searched, and I want to be able to see my belongings at all time. The TSO at the scanner said "I can't do that."

I asked that he call over his supervisor and a LEO. He got the supervisor, but no LEO.

The TSA's OWN WEBSITE says "Always Watch your Belongings" and "Insist Your Belongings be Brought With You" for secondary screening. I was merely trying to be a Good Citizen and follow the instructions on their own website.

The Supervisor complied with my request. I filled out a complaint card against the original TSO who said he couldn't permit me to follow the instructions on the TSA website.

I was not asked if why, thankfully.

And, yes, the TSO touched my penis.
Because this happened to you, I will be notifying as many hotels in the SJC area that I will never visit that city if I can help it because of their local TSA which sexually assaults innocent travelers. I will also notify the SJC airport I "heard through the grapevine" that your TSA staff sexually assaults people during the screenings and I will never go to the airport and will tell everyone I know never to go there.

Last edited by scoow; Apr 2, 2012 at 5:46 am Reason: multiple consecutive posts
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I said, very politely, that I want to be hand searched, and I want to be able to see my belongings at all time. The TSO at the scanner said "I can't do that."

I asked that he call over his supervisor and a LEO. He got the supervisor, but no LEO.

The TSA's OWN WEBSITE says "Always Watch your Belongings" and "Insist Your Belongings be Brought With You" for secondary screening. I was merely trying to be a Good Citizen and follow the instructions on their own website.

The Supervisor complied with my request. I filled out a complaint card against the original TSO who said he couldn't permit me to follow the instructions on the TSA website.
What I do is stand where I can see my belongings. When the clerks ask me to move I simply tell them I'm standing where I can see my stuff on the other side of the x-ray machine. When they continue to badger me to move I simply repeat that I am going to stand where I can see my belongings on the other side of the x-ray machine. I repeat as necessary until the groper arrives.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:10 am

You know, that's a great idea for a protest!

For us opt-outers--if you're ever stuck at the airport for a few hours:

Keep going 'round and 'round! Leave the secure area, and go back in, each time saying "I OPT OUT" and getting the TSA happy ending! If I'm traveling with someone who could watch my belongings on the inside (because each time through you run the risk of the TSA stealing your iPad in his secret pocket), and I'm bored, this would be a great activity.
If someone was a chain smoker and the airport didn't have a smoking room, then they would have to go through security multiple times during a long layover!!! Smoking is still allowed outside the airport, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.