Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: HAL Pualani Platinum, Delta Gold
Sad thing is, the agents involved probably thought it was a performance, not someone standing up for their rights and unwilling to settle for less.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:08 am

As you can see from my screen name, I am not a frequent poster - so I apologize up front if I don't know all of the acronyms or abbreviations....

My family flies frequently from KC (MCI) to Ft Myers (RSW). We've been doing this every other month for the last two years, so I have the dreaded security song-and-dance down to a science. Or so I thought.

MCI has one AIT machine, and several WTMD's. I have instructed my family to always keep to the right while going through the lines, which always has us going through the WTMD's, as the solo AIT is to the left. Very easy to avoid.

RSW has ONLY had WTMD's - which has made it very nice flying back to KC. We were just there in December, so imagine my shock yesterday while standing in the line to get our squiggle on our BP when I saw that they have installed TWO AIT machines. Yikes. They have both these machines situated right next to their WTMD, so a traveler is left strictly up to the mercy of the TSO lady who directs you through either of the lines.

My 12-year old daughter went first, and she was pointed through the WTMD. I followed her, and was also directed to the left, the WTMD. Whew. Two down, two to go.

My 19-year old son got sent to the AIT. He immediately said, "I opt out." The TSO lady said, "WHAT??!!" very loudly. My son repeated, "I opt out." She immediately screams, at 120 decibels, "Male assist!" and then shakes her head at my son. Like she's chastising him!!!!

My son said, "What?? Why are you shaking your head at me like that?" And she said, "It's just like making a call on your cell phone."

Anyway, the male assist came and took my son to the footprints on the floor, where he did an EXTREMELY thorough pat-down. In fact, my Hubby, who was following my son, was also directed through the AIT, opted out, and received a pat down by a different TSO, and was finished BEFORE my son's pat down.

Both of these TSO's ALSO said, "It's no different than making a call on your cell phone." Argh. You can tell they've been coached to say that - as it was now the THIRD time in five minutes we'd been told that.

We've never had to opt out before - but we all learned some things. We forgot to have the TSO's put on new gloves before the pat down. We'll remember that next time. I also noticed that the TSO who was patting down my son had my son positioned so that his back was to the conveyor belt, thereby leaving all of my son's belongings out of his sight. Luckily, I was standing there, guarding his stuff, but I educated my son later and told him to ALWAYS keep his stuff within sight.

My hubby's TSO positioned him so that he was facing his stuff - in fact, he asked my Hubby prior to the pat-down, "Where's your stuff?" and when Hubby pointed, the TSO said, "You need to face it."

Just wanted to share - and to say how much I appreciate everyone's information here...long time lurker, just not a frequent poster.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Jackonferry...thanks for sharing your story. As I related in my incidents, I had one screener not even use the word "resistance". He substituted the word "business" instead. The business was when he was conducting the patdown of the zipper area and the moving up/down the legs. I should have called him out and asked him what "business" meant. At least in my case, both patdowns were relatively quick.
You: "What does 'business' mean?"

TSO: "It's when we meet your resistance."

You: "What does resistance mean?"

TSO: "Let's just get on with this. It's none of your business."

You: "Precisely, you should be touching none of my business."

Today's experience: SDOO at BOS, B gates to AA. Interesting set-up here: After being chased by the gate dragon (not TSO, the person who tells you your bags are too big), you approach one of two TSOs and then SD into one of two lines, the WTMD or the NoS. It's pretty easy to see which is which and, despite the fact that the NoS line was a lot shorter, passengers were opting for the WTMD. The TSOs encouraged people to go through the NoS, pointing out the shorter line, but they stopped short of actually forcing anyone to do so.

Mike
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, DL
Nice surprise at RST today. For the first time since NOS was installed in the single security lane, today it was roped off and the WTMD was primary. I hope that is a trend that continues.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by KCSherri

My son said, "What?? Why are you shaking your head at me like that?" And she said, "It's just like making a call on your cell phone."
Welcome to FT, KCSherri, and good for you for teaching your family how to avoid these machines. Too bad TSA has made it so that we all must endure physical assault and sexual abuse.

And as to the cell phone comment? It never ceases to amaze me the growing numbers of advance-level physicists, chemists, and doctors among TSA's ranks.

If you weren't already aware, you might be interested to learn that an actual engineer has shown these machines are nothing more than large chunks of junk. You can see it discussed over here at YouTube.

As for me, my opt out story is that this weekend I rented a car and drove 700 miles roundtrip across 3 states. It was the 3rd time this year I've made that trip, and it's scheduled for at least 5 more already.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
You know, for as much flak as I give the TSA, the screeners at DEN are actually ok on the whole. A couple of barkers, but mostly a decent, friendly bunch. Case in point:

On a recent trip, I arrived at the airport nice and early for a 6:15 AM flight. Only one checkpoint was up, and they only had the MMW active. As always, I opted out, and the screener waved me through the WTMD, asked me if I could see my belongings (a first for me!), and once I confirmed that I could, she calmly said "male assist" into her shoulder radio. No barking, no shouting, no snarky attitude.

The screener who did my patdown came over and, right away, changed his gloves in front of me and tested the new pair without being asked. He then asked which trays were mine, brought my belongings over and set them down on the table right in front of us, no dismantling or searching, just wanted to make sure they were always within my sight.

He gave me the speech about the procedure and said that he would be going up the inside of my leg until "resistance is met". I asked what that meant, and he gave what I would call a quick sigh and replied that if I was asking the question, I probably already knew. I was content to let it sit at that, but he went on unprovoked to say that he hates that he has to go "there", but it's the society we live in today, unfortunately.

Also, coincidentally, I mentioned that it seemed like there had been more pat-downs in the last couple of weeks, even on people coming out of the scanners. He confirmed that there indeed had been, but he wasn't sure why. Hmmmm...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
You know, for as much flak as I give the TSA, the screeners at DEN are actually ok on the whole. A couple of barkers, but mostly a decent, friendly bunch. Case in point:

On a recent trip, I arrived at the airport nice and early for a 6:15 AM flight. Only one checkpoint was up, and they only had the MMW active. As always, I opted out, and the screener waved me through the WTMD, asked me if I could see my belongings (a first for me!), and once I confirmed that I could, she calmly said "male assist" into her shoulder radio. No barking, no shouting, no snarky attitude.

The screener who did my patdown came over and, right away, changed his gloves in front of me and tested the new pair without being asked. He then asked which trays were mine, brought my belongings over and set them down on the table right in front of us, no dismantling or searching, just wanted to make sure they were always within my sight.

He gave me the speech about the procedure and said that he would be going up the inside of my leg until "resistance is met". I asked what that meant, and he gave what I would call a quick sigh and replied that if I was asking the question, I probably already knew. I was content to let it sit at that, but he went on unprovoked to say that he hates that he has to go "there", but it's the society we live in today, unfortunately.

Also, coincidentally, I mentioned that it seemed like there had been more pat-downs in the last couple of weeks, even on people coming out of the scanners. He confirmed that there indeed had been, but he wasn't sure why. Hmmmm...
One thing I would question that after he changed and tested his gloves, he then handles the bins your possessions were in, now possibly contaminating his gloves which could result in a false positive.

Those bins see a lot of use and who knows what has been placed in them, so if it was me I would ask him to just to test his gloves again, and I would use the words "in the abundance of caution."

Mr. Elliott
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:54 pm

SAT 3/18

TDC was cool enough, and I've found by having a mobile boarding pass, you can limit interaction.

I put my stuff on the belt, and proceeded to opt-out. I was barked at to 'stand over here, don't move,' and then well, began to move, because I couldn't see my things (interestingly, the way the checkpoint is designed, is that if you do opt out, there's no way to see your things as they're blocked by the NoS.)

The dragon barked 'I told you to stay here, you can't move.' I responded 'It's okay, I'm just going to move to see my things. You can't really detain me, anyway.' At this point, he sort of freaked and screamed 'I TOLD YOU DON'T MOVE.' At that point, I had to ask for a supervisor, mainly for his health.

He informed the sup that 'This man has a problem with my instructions.' Finally, the groper showed up and the sup followed us over to the gropezone. Grope was, well, a grope. Afterwards, the sup pulled me over for a chat.

We talked about the attitude of the clerk, as well as the checkpoint design, which he insisted was 'Washington ordered' and 'above his pay grade.' With that, I left and was on my way. Contrary to most places, it seems that the sup was the only one with any common sense, and seemed to be a genial enough fellow.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier
Originally Posted by KCSherri
As you can see from my screen name, I am not a frequent poster - so I apologize up front if I don't know all of the acronyms or abbreviations....

My family flies frequently from KC (MCI) to Ft Myers (RSW). We've been doing this every other month for the last two years, so I have the dreaded security song-and-dance down to a science. Or so I thought.

MCI has one AIT machine, and several WTMD's. I have instructed my family to always keep to the right while going through the lines, which always has us going through the WTMD's, as the solo AIT is to the left. Very easy to avoid.

RSW has ONLY had WTMD's - which has made it very nice flying back to KC. We were just there in December, so imagine my shock yesterday while standing in the line to get our squiggle on our BP when I saw that they have installed TWO AIT machines. Yikes. They have both these machines situated right next to their WTMD, so a traveler is left strictly up to the mercy of the TSO lady who directs you through either of the lines.

My 12-year old daughter went first, and she was pointed through the WTMD. I followed her, and was also directed to the left, the WTMD. Whew. Two down, two to go.

My 19-year old son got sent to the AIT. He immediately said, "I opt out." The TSO lady said, "WHAT??!!" very loudly. My son repeated, "I opt out." She immediately screams, at 120 decibels, "Male assist!" and then shakes her head at my son. Like she's chastising him!!!!

Anyway, the male assist came and took my son to the footprints on the floor, where he did an EXTREMELY thorough pat-down. In fact, my Hubby, who was following my son, was also directed through the AIT, opted out, and received a pat down by a different TSO, and was finished BEFORE my son's pat down.

Both of these TSO's ALSO said, "It's no different than making a call on your cell phone." Argh. You can tell they've been coached to say that - as it was now the THIRD time in five minutes we'd been told that.

We've never had to opt out before - but we all learned some things. We forgot to have the TSO's put on new gloves before the pat down. We'll remember that next time. I also noticed that the TSO who was patting down my son had my son positioned so that his back was to the conveyor belt, thereby leaving all of my son's belongings out of his sight. Luckily, I was standing there, guarding his stuff, but I educated my son later and told him to ALWAYS keep his stuff within sight.

My hubby's TSO positioned him so that he was facing his stuff - in fact, he asked my Hubby prior to the pat-down, "Where's your stuff?" and when Hubby pointed, the TSO said, "You need to face it."

Just wanted to share - and to say how much I appreciate everyone's information here...long time lurker, just not a frequent poster.
I would stop flying commercially. I have stopped flying commericially and have become very good at driving. It's the only way to stop this madness.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier
Originally Posted by barbell
Welcome to FT, KCSherri, and good for you for teaching your family how to avoid these machines. Too bad TSA has made it so that we all must endure physical assault and sexual abuse.

And as to the cell phone comment? It never ceases to amaze me the growing numbers of advance-level physicists, chemists, and doctors among TSA's ranks.

If you weren't already aware, you might be interested to learn that an actual engineer has shown these machines are nothing more than large chunks of junk. You can see it discussed over here at YouTube.

As for me, my opt out story is that this weekend I rented a car and drove 700 miles roundtrip across 3 states. It was the 3rd time this year I've made that trip, and it's scheduled for at least 5 more already.
Excellent! The more people who don't fly, the more the TSA will feel the pinch. Let them all starve for all I care. They have sexually abused enough people.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum,DL, UAL, HHonors-Diamond,IHG-Platinum
Bad luck today at PHL. Entered at terminal B and was in the far left lane headed to the WTMD, when they closed it right after the person in front of me.

I was directed over to the next pair of machines, with a WTMD right in front of me and MMW on my right. The three passengers in front of me all went though the WTMD and I was ready to sail through when the clerk pointed at the MMW. I said "opt out" and I told him I wasn't just walking through it either. I was sent around the WTMD (really, why??) and he screamed "male assist" into his radio. He told me stand right where I was but I could not see my things and was going to move. He said no, and I said "get me a supervisor, NOW". He then relented and let me move 5 ft. to see my things, right past the exit of the WTMD. Waited a good solid 4 minutes for my "assist" and amazingly they let no one in the line behind me through either machine the entire time I stood there!

Pat-down itself not awful compared to some I've had, got the whole spiel, made him change the gloves and was on my way relatively quickly after that.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I opted out today at the IAD mid-field transfer entry (if I have that right) after clearing ICE.

The screener directing traffic was polite, and the employee who searched me was polite and friendly; in fact, we joked about the various terms he was allowed to use - "interference" and "business." He also asked if I wanted to hear the explanation or had I gone through this before, and I took the opportunity to skip that part.

I was on my way within four minutes to catch up with Mrs. Fredd, who'd lucked out with the WTMD.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
3/19/12 JFK t-& (UA)

All (n.b. all) WTMD's are blocked off

Opted out and it was quick and painless.

Me: I opt out
Gatekeeper: No problem-please (n.b. please) wait over there (pointing to stand just to the side of her)
Gatekeeper: male assist opt out lane 4

3 minutes later I got thru the WTMD
No alarm
TSO gives me "the speech"
Put on fresh gloves right in front of me
I have my maSSSSage where he touched nothing
Swabbed my shoes
I passed

On my way in maybe 6 minutes (which included the wait)

Now I will say this, and maybe it's a one off, but the last time I went thru the same terminal at JFK, it was "all authority and attitude" but this time everyone was professional and polite ^
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
The SFO WN Terminal, where I'm flying out of today, is the only place where they still ask "why" when I opt out.

I've leaned not to say "radiation" because they'll give me some lecture about it. So I stopped answering the question, and defer saying: "I need to keep my eyes on my belongings at all times so you can't steal from me."

Lately, I've been trying a new answer, which seems to work: "Religious Reasons." So far, they haven't questioned it. And it's no lie: one of the 613 commandments in the Hebrew Bible is "don't put a stumbling block before the blind".

The "blind" is generally interpreted as "to represent any person or group that is unaware, unsuspecting, ignorant, or morally blind, and individuals are prohibited from taking advantage of them or tempting them to do wrong."

By not giving the TSA the chance to over-radiate me, steal from me, or look at my penis, I am fulfilling the commandment not to tempt them!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Hawk87
Bad luck today at PHL. Entered at terminal B and was in the far left lane headed to the WTMD, when they closed it right after the person in front of me.
This actually led me to the drastic step of taking extra time to transit the D/E checkpoint for every flight for the last few months. There are no scanners there.. yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.