Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
You're right. Not once has a postal clerk ever said to me, "Do you want to mail today?"
And if they did, you at least have the option of saying "I'll FedEx or UPS today instead."

No such option with TSA.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
You're right. Not once has a postal clerk ever said to me, "Do you want to mail today?"
Just last week I went to the post office to mail a certified letter and as I was standing in line I thought "What a bunch of misfits. It could be the TSA."

There are a lot of similarities. Our church was doing weekly mailings and I could not get a clear answer on what the cost would be over the phone. I made up a dummy mailing and took it to four different post offices and got four different prices. We finally got a settled price, but there is one post office that returns them postage due, so we put different postage just for that one post office.

Sound familiar?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
My experience at SMF and SNA

I flew out of SMF on Friday 2/17 and flew back from SNA on Monday 2/20. SMF and SNA both have the scanners as their primary.

In both airports, I was directed to the scanner and in both airports I calmly and concisely explained that holding the required position was difficult for me. Both times I was directed through the WTMD without any "resistance." I was prepared to go through the whole opt-out nonsense, but nothing. I grabbed my stuff and waited for my friend and her two daughters to go through the scanner.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:23 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jill5172
I travel through SEA once or twice a week. I used to be able to SDOO most of the time, but in the last few months my luck has changed so that I now have to opt out/have a pat-down about half of the time.

Last time going through the guy who called for a female assist told me that "come October, you won't have a chance to opt out any more. Everyone will have to go through the scanners." The female assist came over just then so I didn't have a chance to ask him WTH he was talking about, but ... WTH?

It didn't occur to me until later that it can't be accurate ... can it? What about babies? Children? There is no way my 2.5 year old twins could assume the proper position for the time it takes to scan them - as if I'd allow it anyway.

On a mostly unrelated note, can someone explain to me the progression of authority in TSA officers, and how you recognize them? (i.e., TSO < LEO < FSO, etc.)

I also admit to not knowing what some of the acronyms are, despite having frequented this thread for a long time now.

Thanks in advance!
Bolding mine: So is this another rogue TSO making up the rules :rolleyes; or a TSO violating SSI?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:37 am

Monday afternoon, opted out at PDX D/E gates. Opt out took FOREVER - at least 10 mins, probably more like 15+ to get someone over to pat me down. The 2 TSOs at the scanner were apologetic, and kept calling over and over for a female opt-out, but no one ever came. Finally one of them went and found someone for me. I think part of the problem may have been that at least 1/3 of the people going through the NOS were getting patted down after, and there was only 1 woman working the line, so I think she was pretty busy. She was also quite possibly the slowest TSO I've ever encountered. It took her a good 5 minutes to explain what she was doing, then another few minutes to put on her gloves (she really struggled with this). The patdown itself involved no crotch or boob grabbing, but she did insist on lifting my waistband from my body and looking in my pants.

My husband was pretty irritated that it took so long (he happily goes through the NOS), but he knows better than to badger me to not opt-out.

I think there's definitely something wrong with PDX these days. What used to be a nice little airport has turned into something of a disaster. The D/E lines were really backed up, but the A/B/C lines were so bad they were sending people over to the D/E lines. Overall, between the lines and the delay due to the opt-out, it took 55 minutes to clear security.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Buster
Monday afternoon, opted out at PDX D/E gates. Opt out took FOREVER - at least 10 mins, probably more like 15+ to get someone over to pat me down. The 2 TSOs at the scanner were apologetic, and kept calling over and over for a female opt-out, but no one ever came. Finally one of them went and found someone for me. I think part of the problem may have been that at least 1/3 of the people going through the NOS were getting patted down after, and there was only 1 woman working the line, so I think she was pretty busy. She was also quite possibly the slowest TSO I've ever encountered. It took her a good 5 minutes to explain what she was doing, then another few minutes to put on her gloves (she really struggled with this). The patdown itself involved no crotch or boob grabbing, but she did insist on lifting my waistband from my body and looking in my pants.

My husband was pretty irritated that it took so long (he happily goes through the NOS), but he knows better than to badger me to not opt-out.

I think there's definitely something wrong with PDX these days. What used to be a nice little airport has turned into something of a disaster. The D/E lines were really backed up, but the A/B/C lines were so bad they were sending people over to the D/E lines. Overall, between the lines and the delay due to the opt-out, it took 55 minutes to clear security.
+1

PDX used to be a decent airport, and the clerks were even reasonably friendly.

That's changed. Flying out in January, 5~ of us opted-out at the same time, causing a little bit of a wait for a clerk to grope me. In the mean time, my bags had gone through, and as I was trying to see my bags, one clerk yelled at me to stay in line. When I told him that I couldn't see my bags, he told me that I shouldn't have opted-out.

Moments later, a lady thinks we are waiting in line for the NoS, when the clerk directs her past us, saying (with a rude tone) that we're opting-out. I asked if it was a problem that we opted-out, and he said "calm down, or I'm calling my supervisor & DYW TFT?)
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That's changed. Flying out in January, 5~ of us opted-out at the same time, causing a little bit of a wait for a clerk to grope me. In the mean time, my bags had gone through, and as I was trying to see my bags, one clerk yelled at me to stay in line. When I told him that I couldn't see my bags, he told me that I shouldn't have opted-out.
Happened to me in SLC as well.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Very narrowly missed a BKSX/pat down today at BOS. Already one male opt out waiting for a grope, and my flight due to leave in about 45 minutes, so the potential of opting out and missing my flight was close. Tried to pick the WTMD line at the AA, was redirected to the NOS. WTMD line opened, but person in front of me, who was directed to it first, turned down the WTMD saying she would beep and preferred the NOS. I owe that woman one, as the TSO then took me through the WTMD.

The other gentleman got a male assist within about 5 minutes and got his massage. The TSO looked professional doing it, not too harsh from my POV. I was glad not to be next in line behind him though.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:23 pm

+1

Moments later, a lady thinks we are waiting in line for the NoS, when the clerk directs her past us, saying (with a rude tone) that we're opting-out. I asked if it was a problem that we opted-out, and he said "calm down, or I'm calling my supervisor & DYW TFT?)
Yikes, he sounds like a real class act.

It's not often that I have to fly into Portland, but the next time I do I'm traveling with a friend, they can at least watch my bags while I'm getting yelled at.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
And if they did, you at least have the option of saying "I'll FedEx or UPS today instead."

No such option with TSA.
The analogous option would be to go with a higher cost private service, like business jet charters which are mostly TSA-free.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
+1

That is my cue to say, "Well, since you offered, do it NOW."
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
That is my cue to say, "Well, since you offered, do it NOW."
^. I usually also add, "And please call a LEO over, too."
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:50 am

Yesterday (2/22) at LAS, going to Gate D. Everyone gets into single line and is then directed to one of many stations; the station I was sent to had both MMW and WTMD but a TSO was standing in front of the WTMD and directing everyone through MMW; I said I was opting out and he sent me through WTMD.

I was told to wait there for the pat-down and while I was mostly able to view my items as they came off the x-ray line I did move about 2 feet forward in order to be better able to view them as the original position was partially blocked by the x-ray machine itself; was not yelled at when I moved.

I didn't time how long I waited but it was definitely less than 5 minutes, and heard a second (female) TSO call for "male assist" 3 times in a moderately loud voice before another TSO arrived. I saw him putting on fresh gloves as he approached, but I forgot to ask him to swab them before he began.

The search was tolerable; the TSO was pleasant and started by explaining the process and asking if I had any sore areas, and also asked if I wanted a private screening (which I declined). He asked me to identify my belongings and moved them off the belt to a separate area in front of where I was standing.

TSO ran a finger around the inside of my t-shirt collar and (bare) arms and (covered) legs were felt in a moderately firm manner. Hands went up the inside of my legs but my "resistance" was not touched. He then ran a finger around my waistband, and the finger only went in to what seemed to be the first finger joint. No pulling down of pants, which would certainly have been possible as I'd been told to remove my belt before the pat-down. During each part of the process the TSO explained what he would be doing.

TSO finished, swabbed gloves (telling me that he was doing so), then gave me the all clear.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by FXWizard
Yesterday (2/22) at LAS, going to Gate D. Everyone gets into single line and is then directed to one of many stations; the station I was sent to had both MMW and WTMD but a TSO was standing in front of the WTMD and directing everyone through MMW; I said I was opting out and he sent me through WTMD.

I was told to wait there for the pat-down and while I was mostly able to view my items as they came off the x-ray line I did move about 2 feet forward in order to be better able to view them as the original position was partially blocked by the x-ray machine itself; was not yelled at when I moved.

I didn't time how long I waited but it was definitely less than 5 minutes, and heard a second (female) TSO call for "male assist" 3 times in a moderately loud voice before another TSO arrived. I saw him putting on fresh gloves as he approached, but I forgot to ask him to swab them before he began.

The search was tolerable; the TSO was pleasant and started by explaining the process and asking if I had any sore areas, and also asked if I wanted a private screening (which I declined). He asked me to identify my belongings and moved them off the belt to a separate area in front of where I was standing.

TSO ran a finger around the inside of my t-shirt collar and (bare) arms and (covered) legs were felt in a moderately firm manner. Hands went up the inside of my legs but my "resistance" was not touched. He then ran a finger around my waistband, and the finger only went in to what seemed to be the first finger joint. No pulling down of pants, which would certainly have been possible as I'd been told to remove my belt before the pat-down. During each part of the process the TSO explained what he would be doing.

TSO finished, swabbed gloves (telling me that he was doing so), then gave me the all clear.
I never understood the bare arms thing. I mean, I know we have the right to bare arms (ok I had to throw that in there), but in all seriousness, can't anyone with even a 4th grade education tell that skin is skin and there's nothing to pat there? What if I told them I had a latex allergy? Would that keep them from touching areas that are blatantly obvious there is nothing there?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by jco613
What if I told them I had a latex allergy? Would that keep them from touching areas that are blatantly obvious there is nothing there?
You're joking right?????

That would simply make them spend MORE time touching THERE. This is TSA.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.