Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by JFKLGA30
...I followed every single instruction they asked of me. However, I asked very pointed and direct questions of her, and in doing so, she felt the need to show who was boss without basically answering a single question of mine...
And this is the underlying reason for your experience and the experience of every other American using an airport today.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
I go through the full body scan, and I walk out after the scan. .... This has never happened to me before in the 100+ flights I have taken since these things have been installed.
Apparently your residual radiation from all these scans messed up the image.
Why don't you skip the radiation and take the patdown anyway?
No cancer danger in a patdown.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
FLL July 31, 2011.

I go through the full body scan, and I walk out after the scan. The guy with the earpiece says "You need a pat down because it took a blurry image of you because it looks like you flinched during it." I replied "Can I just walk right back through and get re-scanned? I'd rather do that than have some guy's hands all over me." He says "I'm sure, just ask the supervisor who is coming over right now."

I ask the supervisor "Hey, can I just walk back through and you guys can get a clear picture rather than a pat down." She says "The procedures in our manual say that you have to have a pat down." I said to her, "Can you show me where that's stated in your procedures, so I can see it?" and she says "No."

So I take a seat off to the side as instructed by her, and the man in the blue gloves comes over, and I'm sitting on the chair, and then I stand up and let the guy do his thing.

After it's over, I look at the supervisor and say in a serious tone, "Can I have your full name and your badge number, so that if I do go home and look this up, if you're incorrect, I can file a formal complaint about how you handled this?" She then tells me her name and says, "Can I have your boarding pass?" I say "Yes, no problem."

She disappears for 5 to 10 minutes in their little room up the ramp and leaves me standing there with my stuff. Her supervisor eventually comes out, and asks me if I'm alright, and I tell her, "Yeah, I'm fine, here's what happened, and here's what I said" and I explain what happened. She's clearly taking my temperature about boarding a plane, which implies that this first woman raised a stink when she went into the room, and likely referred to me as an unhappy or disorderly passenger (I think dissatisfied and inquisitive would have been more apt). I recount the story, state it in the exact same tone I asked my questions, and she lets me go without any sort of problem.

Here's my question:

1) Was the first lady right? If there's a blurry image, do I not have the ability to go back into the scanner? Must I then 100% of the time have a full body pat down? Is this stated anywhere explicitly?

2) Am I wrong to ask these questions? Because I sure felt as if the TSA supervisor was very offended and passively aggressive toward me for asking very basic, serious, but informed questions of her and her job. This has never happened to me before in the 100+ flights I have taken since these things have been installed. Given the abnormality, I wanted to know if this was right.

I think if someone did to me on a subway, what she said was "required" of me to board the plane, there would be some jail time involved. So, I don't think it's out of line to inquire about exactly where it's stated I have no choice but to do this, if I intend to fly. In addition, I don't think it's wrong to ask for her information if in fact through more thorough research, I find she's wrong or right.

I followed every single instruction they asked of me. However, I asked very pointed and direct questions of her, and in doing so, she felt the need to show who was boss without basically answering a single question of mine.

Does anyone know where I can find proof that the correct/incorrect procedure was followed here?
You probably should have started a new thread.. This one talks about Opting-Out, not submitting to the radiation boxes.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL PM
At FLL T3 today. Walked up to the WTMD (right next to the luggage belt) and there was a TSO blocking the way, pointing me to the Nude-O-Scope. I said, "I'm going to opt out, so you might as well just walk me through here." He responded, you have to go over there (to the Nude-O-Scope) and tell him (TSO there) that you are opting out.

I walk over and tell the TSO that I'm opting out, and he tells me to walk to the WTMD and wait (original TSO who told me not to walk through there looks flustered).

Two-striper gathers my stuff very proficiently and walks me over to the grope mat. I ask him if he could please put on new gloves. He says, "sure, I mean I just put these on, but if you want, I will put on another pair." He then says something like "Are you familiar with this?" I said "Yes, I don't particularly want to get cancer for no reason." He explains the procedure to me in excruciating detail and then asks if I understand. I respond, "Enjoy!". He did the collar check, but the waistband check actually went over my shirt (which was not tucked in). He did not end up touching my junk, which was a nice surprise.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Odd one today.

I had a special ticket and serious problems at check in. It took over an hour to get checked in. In the end, the ticket agent had to walk me through security to get me to my flight on time. I get to the WTMD and they point me to the MMW. I say I usually opt out, but since I am pressed for time I will take it this once. The ticket agent walking me through said something to one of the screeners, and they changed their mind and let me go through the WTMD.

I did get the usual secondary bag check, but it was quicker than usual.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:59 pm

FLL July 31, 2011.

I go through the full body scan, and I walk out after the scan. The guy with the earpiece says "You need a pat down because it took a blurry image of you because it looks like you flinched during it." I replied "Can I just walk right back through and get re-scanned? I'd rather do that than have some guy's hands all over me." He says "I'm sure, just ask the supervisor who is coming over right now."

I ask the supervisor "Hey, can I just walk back through and you guys can get a clear picture rather than a pat down." She says "The procedures in our manual say that you have to have a pat down." I said to her, "Can you show me where that's stated in your procedures, so I can see it?" and she says "No."

So I take a seat off to the side as instructed by her, and the man in the blue gloves comes over, and I'm sitting on the chair, and then I stand up and let the guy do his thing.

After it's over, I look at the supervisor and say in a serious tone, "Can I have your full name and your badge number, so that if I do go home and look this up, if you're incorrect, I can file a formal complaint about how you handled this?" She then tells me her name and says, "Can I have your boarding pass?" I say "Yes, no problem."

She disappears for 5 to 10 minutes in their little room up the ramp and leaves me standing there with my stuff. Her supervisor eventually comes out, and asks me if I'm alright, and I tell her, "Yeah, I'm fine, here's what happened, and here's what I said" and I explain what happened. She's clearly taking my temperature about boarding a plane, which implies that this first woman raised a stink when she went into the room, and likely referred to me as an unhappy or disorderly passenger (I think dissatisfied and inquisitive would have been more apt). I recount the story, state it in the exact same tone I asked my questions, and she lets me go without any sort of problem.

Here's my question:

1) Was the first lady right? If there's a blurry image, do I not have the ability to go back into the scanner? Must I then 100% of the time have a full body pat down? Is this stated anywhere explicitly?

2) Am I wrong to ask these questions? Because I sure felt as if the TSA supervisor was very offended and passively aggressive toward me for asking very basic, serious, but informed questions of her and her job. This has never happened to me before in the 100+ flights I have taken since these things have been installed. Given the abnormality, I wanted to know if this was right.

I think if someone did to me on a subway, what she said was "required" of me to board the plane, there would be some jail time involved. So, I don't think it's out of line to inquire about exactly where it's stated I have no choice but to do this, if I intend to fly. In addition, I don't think it's wrong to ask for her information if in fact through more thorough research, I find she's wrong or right.

I followed every single instruction they asked of me. However, I asked very pointed and direct questions of her, and in doing so, she felt the need to show who was boss without basically answering a single question of mine.

Does anyone know where I can find proof that the correct/incorrect procedure was followed here?
This is why some of us opt out. We've experienced the same scenario and would rather just avoid the radiation. We'd also like to demonstrate the failure of the millions of dollars spent on these over priced paper weights.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:44 am

Okay! Here's my opted out story.

I was a TSA screener and when they taught us how to use the Full Body Imager we were suppose to scan each other over and over again, over the course of several full days until we understood the process. I refused to be scanned and was ridiculed my my co-workers.

After I was trained I was assigned to work on the machine all day because they didn't train any other screeners. All day I had to stand next to this radiation machine. Day after day. So I quit.

Also...they don't actually work.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott

Here's my question:

As FriendlySkies said, this is a thread where you can post your opt-out experiences, not willingly subjecting yourself to the NoS. However, I will answer your questions

1) She is right. There is no option for a do over like there was with the WTMD. The NoSs are slow enough as is, and if they spent time rescanning to resolve every anomaly it would take all day. Plus FLL has the blue cancer boxes. You do know you're getting additional radiation exposure? (I just want to make sure you're aware.)

2) You're not wrong to ask, but any TSO is going to claim SSI or only give vague answers. Even if you submitted a complaint, TSA wouldn't even say if the TSO was following procedure or not in their reply, if they reply at all.

You have to accept that you might not get the same answer twice from two different TSOs or at different airports. None of these rules are public, and it's only through heuristics and what the TSOs on this board have shared that we on TS&S know what to expect. (And even sometimes TSA throws us a curveball and makes up rules on the spot - eg. the "state your name" game occurring at a handful of airports.)

Where you did go wrong was not opting out in the first place. You compounded your error by handing the TSO your boarding pass. Never allow them to get any personal information from you. You're not required to provide it.

I think you're just sore over the fact that you tried to be a pawn in their little game, causing the least amount of conflict as possible to get through the checkpoint, but you learned a valuable lesson, one that I wish more of my friends would learn. Going through the NoS doesn't prevent an opt-out style patdown! In the future save yourself the radiation exposure and extra hassle and just opt-out. Insist that they change their gloves and make sure you can view your belongings at all times. ^
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by BillForster
Okay! Here's my opted out story.

I was a TSA screener and when they taught us how to use the Full Body Imager we were suppose to scan each other over and over again, over the course of several full days until we understood the process. I refused to be scanned and was ridiculed my my co-workers.

After I was trained I was assigned to work on the machine all day because they didn't train any other screeners. All day I had to stand next to this radiation machine. Day after day. So I quit.

Also...they don't actually work.
Bill,

Did you ever get to work in the viewing booth? If so, I have a question for you:

Another TSO who frequents this forum claimed that the images from the Rapiscan backscatter x-ray scanner are not that detailed. He opined that if the passengers could see the actual scans, there likely would be less objection to being scanned. Can you comment on this? (Are you under some sort of legal restriction in what you can divulge?)

The few images that have been released are fairly detailed in my opinion, and warrant objection. And of course there is the Rolando Negrin incident. Assuming that the TSO was telling the truth and the scanners are being deliberately operated by the TSA at a resolution lower than what we know they are capable of, the only explanation I can come up with is that this is done to keep the dose and/or scanning time low.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've only sporadically read throughout this thread (as it is incredibly lengthy), however after being selected virtually weekly to go through the NoS, I will now opt out every time from this day forth... which is typically 2-4x a week.

Not too fond of anyone karate chopping my junk, but I'm pretty verbal if I feel I'm being unjustly treated.

Looking forward to it at PBI, DFW, and PHX next week..
Old Aug 4, 2011, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been opting out since the very beginning but have not read this thread carefully. Here are some thoughts:

1 - I hate it when they have that "trouble maker" look on their face when you tell them you are opting out

2 - It seems they take their time to find a screener on purpose as a disincentive for you to do this

3 - In the mean time, you are concerned because you are separated from your bags

4 - I personally think it is more degrading to have a machine scan you than a human searching you - not to mention the doubts on the health implications on frequent flyers

5 - Other than the initial unpleasantness of being set aside to wait, all the screenings that have been done have been professional and I think people should give these people a break - they are just doing their jobs

Last edited by username; Aug 6, 2011 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
To 3 at least, you are entitled to have sight of your bags at all times, and I recommend moving to where you can see them ignoring clerk protestations.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:31 pm

Angry

Flew DEN -> SFO a few weeks ago, my first trip since my last bad opt-out experience.

Fortunately when I flew out of DEN, it was very busy, and I was able to observe the checkpoints from above and pick the one that had 1 lane open with no NOS. Watching from above, it got me thinking about starting to use the "mobile" boarding pass, because when DEN does have a NOS-free lane open, it tends to be the lanes at the very end.. The ID-check stations at the very ends are the only ones that can process the mobile boarding pass, so it puts you in a better position to choose the NOS-free lane.

I noticed as I was approaching security that although I felt relatively calm, my legs and knees were visibly trembling, so I must have been upset/nervous at some level. I hope this new involuntary reaction doesn't cause me problems with the new behavioral screening.

When I went through security at SFO, I had the same trembling reaction.. (great..) I wasn't able to avoid the NOS, and got pulled aside after I opted out. I couldn't really see my stuff, but I did have a clear line of sight to anyone actually leaving the area, so I felt somewhat OK with it. I wasn't there for long before a lady screener told them to "let me out" and gave me a fairly cursory pat-down.

As a side note, I tested the TSA policy of allowing netbooks to remain in baggage. I left my Macbook Air inside my bag on both sides and no one said boo about it. It probably helped that I did not have a laptop bag, just a regular backpack, so the only people who could have complained were the x-ray screeners. This is a big relief, because with the new possibility of being separated from your belongings, I'd hate to have my laptop out in a bin.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by gilli
Flew DEN -> SFO a few weeks ago, my first trip since my last bad opt-out experience.

Fortunately when I flew out of DEN, it was very busy, and I was able to observe the checkpoints from above and pick the one that had 1 lane open with no NOS. Watching from above, it got me thinking about starting to use the "mobile" boarding pass, because when DEN does have a NOS-free lane open, it tends to be the lanes at the very end.. The ID-check stations at the very ends are the only ones that can process the mobile boarding pass, so it puts you in a better position to choose the NOS-free lane.

I noticed as I was approaching security that although I felt relatively calm, my legs and knees were visibly trembling, so I must have been upset/nervous at some level. I hope this new involuntary reaction doesn't cause me problems with the new behavioral screening.

When I went through security at SFO, I had the same trembling reaction.. (great..) I wasn't able to avoid the NOS, and got pulled aside after I opted out. I couldn't really see my stuff, but I did have a clear line of sight to anyone actually leaving the area, so I felt somewhat OK with it. I wasn't there for long before a lady screener told them to "let me out" and gave me a fairly cursory pat-down.

As a side note, I tested the TSA policy of allowing netbooks to remain in baggage. I left my Macbook Air inside my bag on both sides and no one said boo about it. It probably helped that I did not have a laptop bag, just a regular backpack, so the only people who could have complained were the x-ray screeners. This is a big relief, because with the new possibility of being separated from your belongings, I'd hate to have my laptop out in a bin.
Sorry, the TSA has now labeled smart, critical thinking, sweaty people such as yourself, as likely terrorists. They're just too smart for the rest of us.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
This week I was working in Atlanta. I drove there on Monday after flying into Birmingham. Yesterday morning I left Atlanta and drove back to Birmingham to fly back home. Why? Just to avoid ATLs TSA. I guess you might call it a SDOO.

When I got to BHM, I walked through a metal detector and my bag went through the X-ray machine. No one screamed at me, I didn't have to state my name and destination, and I wasn't patted down.

Not a single plane blew up or fell out of the sky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.