Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:46 am

CavePearl, you can't post stories like this! The terrorists will win!

Seriously though, smart move. ATL is my current home airport. They have both a) a special fondness for WBI and b) a propensity to punish opt-outs with egregious genital contact.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by barbell
ATL is my current home airport. They have both a) a special fondness for WBI and b) a propensity to punish opt-outs with egregious genital contact.
PHX is my current home airport.

I refuse to fly through either ATL or PHX - I was regularly back-and-forth for a while, there, and I have to tell you...

Atlanta was a pretty nice place to visit, but the TSA at ATL gives "Southern Hospitality" an entirely different meaning.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by Caradoc
PHX is my current home airport.

I refuse to fly through either ATL or PHX - I was regularly back-and-forth for a while, there, and I have to tell you...

Atlanta was a pretty nice place to visit, but the TSA at ATL gives "Southern Hospitality" an entirely different meaning.
They really do. That's why some time back I told 'em to "Kiss my Grits!"
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
EWR Terminal C (Continental), August 5, 7:30 a.m.: My flight was leaving from C-132, so I went to the C-3 checkpoint. Went through the elite line, which split after the TDC (no major problem with expired ID). The people who went to the right found themselves -- surprisingly, because the machine was hidden behind a huge pillar -- in a NoS line; the ones who went to the left went through a WTMD.

I made the mistake of going right, because that line looked shorter. When I passed the pillar, I saw the mandatory NoS (and the fact that the line was crawling because the NoS is so slow). At that point, I got out of line and headed back to the TDC and to the left-hand WTMD line. Unfortunately, this maneuver was spotted by sharp-eyed three-striper NAME REDACTED BY MOD, who asked me, "Were you in that line?" I said that I really didn't want to have a conversation and kept walking toward the WTMD line. I thought that was the end of it but should have known better.

After passing through the WTMD without any alarm, the clerk directed me to the glass cage. I asked why. He said that his supervisor (NAME REDACTED BY MOD, apparently) had told him to select me for "extra screening." Almost immediately, a pleasant young man took me for my pat-down. He couldn't carry all of my stuff from the x-ray belt and summoned assistance.

During the rather cursory pat-down, I asked him why I had been selected. He said that it was random. I told him what the other clerk had said, and then the new guy confessed that it wasn't random after all -- thereby admitting that he had lied to me.

When the pat-down was finished, I walked up to NAME REDACTED BY MOD and asked for a complaint form and a screening manager (TSM). He got a form, showed me his ID and paged the TSM on duty. Meanwhile, I asked him if he feels good about what he does all day. He said that he does feel good about "keeping the traveling public safe." I scoffed at that, which caused another three-striper to get in my face and accuse me of trying to provoke NAME REDACTED BY MOD (moi?).

Anyway, while this conversation was becoming heated, the TSM arrived. She was a pleasant and articulate young woman who listened to my story and NAME REDACTED BY MOD minor amendments to it. After the two of us agreed as to the basic facts, the TSM apologized for the lie. She then asked for my boarding pass ("for a report"), which I showed her without complaint, and I went on my way. All things considered, not too bad an encounter.

My return flight this morning was from Boston. No problems at all. SDOO through WTMD. No BDO trouble, either. Complained very briefly to a supervisor about a barking woman clerk ("You may not hold you wallet. It must be put through the x-ray machine."). I told the supervisor that such loud barking at 5:30 a.m. was not appreciated. He promised to tell her to stop.

Bruce

Last edited by squeakr; Aug 6, 2011 at 5:20 pm Reason: names prohibited by TOS unless public figures
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:37 pm

Was able to self directed opt out at New Orleans (MSY) this week, although my bra did trigger the metal detector. Since they now have restroom very near the security checkpoint in Terminal B, I did my "Jennifer Beales" impersonation and removed my bra semi-discreetly (people knew what I was doing, but nobody "saw" anything). The male agents near me, as soon as they realized what I was doing, tried to get me to stop (half-heartedly) and said I could go through the MMW machine. I said "No, I don't go through those" and got my bra on the X-ray belt and made it through without a need for a pat-down. I was afraid that after they "offered", that I'd be considered an opt-out, but I wasn't.

Also, no BS about "what's your name" or "where are you going" before the 6am flight.

Return trip in Hobby (HOU) and it's slow (after 7 on Friday evening) and they have ALL of the WTMD blocked and everyone is going through the MMW machines. This is after the "what's your full name and where are you going" 'conversation'. So I opted out, they had me stand to the side on the 'dirty' side of the machines (vs the sterile side), but I could see my belongings. When a woman came over (good thing they weren't busy because there were only a couple of women working), I walked through the WTMD, it alarmed and she hesitated a second (I almost walked into her) and I said 'it's just my bra'. She didn't make me walk through again (I would NOT remove my bra at HOU - restrooms too far away, and especially if I was going to get a pat down anyway). She and another agent collected my stuff and we went to 'the area'. I asked if she'd changed her gloves, and she said something, but got new ones out of the drawer. (Not a negative or bothered reaction, though.)

When she asked if anything was sensitive, I said "just the normal places" which totally confused her - so I had to clarify, my breasts and crotch. I do NOT like the head rub, but at least she didn't rub down my bare arms. And she did not go very far up my legs.

I think next time I get asked where I'm going - it will be either "Home" or "To a Client's" or "On vacation"
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
EWR Terminal C (Continental), August 5, 7:30 a.m.: My flight was leaving from C-132, so I went to the C-3 checkpoint. Went through the elite line, which split after the TDC (no major problem with expired ID). The people who went to the right found themselves -- surprisingly, because the machine was hidden behind a huge pillar -- in a NoS line; the ones who went to the left went through a WTMD.

I made the mistake of going right, because that line looked shorter. When I passed the pillar, I saw the mandatory NoS (and the fact that the line was crawling because the NoS is so slow). At that point, I got out of line and headed back to the TDC and to the left-hand WTMD line. Unfortunately, this maneuver was spotted by sharp-eyed three-striper NAME REDACTED BY MOD, who asked me, "Were you in that line?" I said that I really didn't want to have a conversation and kept walking toward the WTMD line. I thought that was the end of it but should have known better.

After passing through the WTMD without any alarm, the clerk directed me to the glass cage. I asked why. He said that his supervisor (NAME REDACTED BY MOD, apparently) had told him to select me for "extra screening." Almost immediately, a pleasant young man took me for my pat-down. He couldn't carry all of my stuff from the x-ray belt and summoned assistance.

During the rather cursory pat-down, I asked him why I had been selected. He said that it was random. I told him what the other clerk had said, and then the new guy confessed that it wasn't random after all -- thereby admitting that he had lied to me.

When the pat-down was finished, I walked up to NAME REDACTED BY MOD and asked for a complaint form and a screening manager (TSM). He got a form, showed me his ID and paged the TSM on duty. Meanwhile, I asked him if he feels good about what he does all day. He said that he does feel good about "keeping the traveling public safe." I scoffed at that, which caused another three-striper to get in my face and accuse me of trying to provoke NAME REDACTED BY MOD (moi?).

Anyway, while this conversation was becoming heated, the TSM arrived. She was a pleasant and articulate young woman who listened to my story and NAME REDACTED BY MOD minor amendments to it. After the two of us agreed as to the basic facts, the TSM apologized for the lie. She then asked for my boarding pass ("for a report"), which I showed her without complaint, and I went on my way. All things considered, not too bad an encounter.

My return flight this morning was from Boston. No problems at all. SDOO through WTMD. No BDO trouble, either. Complained very briefly to a supervisor about a barking woman clerk ("You may not hold you wallet. It must be put through the x-ray machine."). I told the supervisor that such loud barking at 5:30 a.m. was not appreciated. He promised to tell her to stop.

Bruce
If these are incorrect, what is the definition?

Definition of public official
OAS - "Public official", "government official, or "public servant" means any official or employee of the State or its agencies, including those who have been selected, appointed, or elected to perform activities or functions in the name of the State or in the Service of the State, at any level of its hierarchy.

and this:

Public figure - an individual or entity that has acquired fame or notoriety or has participated in a particular public controversy
Old Aug 6, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by Drince88
I think next time I get asked where I'm going - it will be either "Home" or "To a Client's" or "On vacation"
Won't work at HOU.

I tried it last week. I told the TDC I was going to work when he asked me where I was going. Then I said Birmingham. He said if I didn't answer his questions in full (Birmingham, Alabama) I would not be allowed to enter the screening area. Jerk.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by CavePearl
Won't work at HOU.

I tried it last week. I told the TDC I was going to work when he asked me where I was going. Then I said Birmingham. He said if I didn't answer his questions in full (Birmingham, Alabama) I would not be allowed to enter the screening area. Jerk.
This is why I hide any onward boarding passes before I get to the TDC. I then show the TDC my boarding pass for the next segment only and passport card for ID. The reason is twofold. The first is so I don't mistakenly hand them my onward boarding pass - I've done this a few times ... and it has only been caught once or twice. The second reason is to avoid giving the TDC anymore information than what is necessary. If I'm flying to ORD for the next segment, I say I'm going to Chicago. It's true, and they don't need to know any additional information.

I can't recall if I've ever been asked where I was going in a BDO way. I may have been asked once or twice by a TDC, but I'm 99% this was friendly chit chat. It was in 2008-2009 before I had never seen a NoS, heard of an enhanced patdown or interacted with a SPOT team.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Majuki
This is why I hide any onward boarding passes before I get to the TDC. I then show the TDC my boarding pass for the next segment only and passport card for ID. The reason is twofold. The first is so I don't mistakenly hand them my onward boarding pass - I've done this a few times ... and it has only been caught once or twice. The second reason is to avoid giving the TDC anymore information than what is necessary. If I'm flying to ORD for the next segment, I say I'm going to Chicago. It's true, and they don't need to know any additional information.

I can't recall if I've ever been asked where I was going in a BDO way. I may have been asked once or twice by a TDC, but I'm 99% this was friendly chit chat. It was in 2008-2009 before I had never seen a NoS, heard of an enhanced patdown or interacted with a SPOT team.
I tell them the gate to which I am going. Truthfully, I can not be certain where the flight will end up landing.

If they ask me where I am planning to go, then that would be different. Starbucks.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:10 pm

Won't work at HOU.

I find it amazing that now terrorists not only do not know their name, they don't know where they're going.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
I find it amazing that now terrorists not only do not know their name, they don't know where they're going.
I have changed my mind, again. I will pull out my back up BP and carefully read what is on it.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:16 pm

Won't work at HOU.

Wow. I think I said "Home to New Orleans". I KNOW I didn't say "Home to New Orleans, Louisiana". True, there aren't too many cities named New Orleans, but there aren't THAT many named Birmingham, either!
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I don't know what made me think of this, but I'd like to be there the next time the 'Jersey Shore' gang fly after the new TDC interrogation has really taken hold.

Interesting that the TDC would demand the state as well as the city. How many of us who travel internationally could name the state/province we are travelling to? (ie, I have no idea what county (?) London is in; no idea what region/department/state Paris is in). Aside from language issues, I wonder how this is going to work with foreigners.

Just emphasizes that we are no longer free to travel by air within our own borders. What next? Border crossings between states?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki

I never show or say anything not immediately required. And, nowadays I don't consider anything a screener says or asks to be "friendly chit-chat" - since everything I say and do will probably be held against me.

Have you flown lately? Here in Houston we are all being asked full names and destinations that include city and state on the BP.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I never show or say anything not immediately required. And, nowadays I don't consider anything a screener says or asks to be "friendly chit-chat" - since everything I say and do will probably be held against me.

Have you flown lately? Here in Houston we are all being asked full names and destinations that include city and state on the BP.
I agree that I don't consider anything to be friendly anymore. I can no longer give any TSO the benefit of the doubt like I could a few years ago. I simply reveal the least amount of information as possible. I am polite but terse in my interactions with them. I don't speak unless they ask me a question that needs a direct answer. Fortunately I don't have to travel through HOU/IAH, so I haven't (yet) experienced the "state your full name". I encountered the "state your last name" insanity at SFO numerous times, but I usually say my last name quickly (it's a common last name) and engage the TDC in a staredown.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.