Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:35 am

DCA opt out

On Friday, Mrs. Max and I were running the gauntlet in DCA. There was almost no line at around 7pm. We easily satisfied the TDC with our docs and placed our items on the belt. The MMW was in use so I quickly shoved the Mrs. into the WTMD (she wont opt out, hates causing a scene). I was ready to follow her and was yelled at to stop. The greeter pointed towards the MMW, and I told him I opt out. Another clerk next to the xray (leaning against it, I hope it is well shielded guy) mumbled "come on," and wrote something on a clipboard (are they actually tracking opt outs?)

Well I was told to wait by the door next to the MMW. I couldn't really see my stuff, but knew my wife would grab it, so I didn't mention it. I was forced to wait for at least 5 minutes for the groper (even though only one more passenger, who surrendered to the MMW passed by). I was told to go through the WTMD and follow him.

On the way to the footprints, he asked about my bags and I let him know my wife got them. He shrugged. Aren't they supposed to ETD them? Meh. He asked about sensitive areas, and I showed him the gnarly poison ivy rash on my arm. He then informed me that they will not be patting down bare skin, which seems at odds with things I've read here. Anyway, he quickly checked my collar and waistband, and didn't come close to reaching resistance. After clearing his gloves, I was on my way.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Most airports have lists to track opt-outs. No personal information is given, and it's generic categories such as safety, privacy, medical, other (?). I saw the list once at SFO, but it's been awhile.

As far as swabbing your carry on items for an ETD test, I've never seen that happen. I imagine the "without touching your items, point them out" is more in case you try to drop the contraband back in with your carryons post x-ray but before the patdown occurs. I've had my girlfriend inadvertently take my rollaboard off of the belt when I was waiting for my male assist, and the TSOs have never said anything.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:19 am

The only time I had to opt out and get the pat down was at LAS earlier this year. They didn't didn't do anything to my bags and let my wife take them at the end of the belt. The patdown itself wasn't bad. I didn't get any of the excessive groping or karate chops that others have got.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
Well, for one thing it's not that simple (they do have a policy that you can't photograph X-ray screens, and no I'm not going to take a punt on whether it's enforceable or not).
Yes, it is that simple.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/03/can-i-ta...point-and.html

"We don’t prohibit public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations. You can take pictures at our checkpoints as long as you’re not interfering with the screening process or slowing things down. We also ask that you do not film or take pictures of our monitors."

It doesn't get any simpler. And it's still apparently beyond the grasp of the average TSA clerk.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: NW Gold, YX Executive
Originally Posted by Caradoc

"We don’t prohibit public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations. You can take pictures at our checkpoints as long as you’re not interfering with the screening process or slowing things down. We also ask that you do not film or take pictures of our monitors."
I note that the language does not prohibit photography of the monitors, but instead merely requests that people voluntarily not do so.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Yes, it is that simple.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2009/03/can-i-ta...point-and.html

It doesn't get any simpler. And it's still apparently beyond the grasp of the average TSA clerk.
With the focus on trying to intimindate passengers, I believe that screeners are probably told that photography is not illegal at checkpoints but are also instructed to attempt to intimidate passengers into compliance by telling them that photography is not allowed.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
We really need to do something about the TSA

This is the most ineffective and unprofessional organization known to mankind.

If anyone knows how to effect change, I'd love to know.

July 1- going DFW to SNA. I opted out of the scan as I typically do and do so to make some kind of point. TSA clerk Martinez tells me to stand to his left. I comply. Then he tells me to stand to his left. I ask why as he initially told me to stand to his right. I proceeded to stand to his left and calmly asked about my bags. He proceeds to call supervisor (black female) who threatens me to call the DFW airport police. I say "please do".

In the meantime, TSA clerk [name redacted per FT TOS] accuses me of being intoxicated! Mind you, this was 7:30 in the morning!!! He repeatedly accused me of being intoxicated. Then as the screener came up to do the pat down, he hits me on my left shoulder with the back of his hand!

This is absolutely disgraceful and unacceptable. What is it about these people with power trips?

Having almost 6 million miles on American Airlines, I am a proponent of security and at the same time, would never do anything to compromise the safety of other passengers.

We really need to do something to streamline the process. I have never, ever received the condescending treatment traveling through European gateways- MAD, LHR, LGW, BCN, FCO, PSA, ATH, GLA, DUB, SHN, etc...

It's a shame when the pat down person apologizes for the actions of his colleagues.

What to do?

Last edited by magic111; Oct 3, 2011 at 11:59 am Reason: redacted name
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, TrueBlue
2:15 PM, BOS Terminal E (Gates E1A-E1E).

They had two bag x-rays going, but one WTMD / BKSX. Line moved quickly, and the moat dragon chose probably 9 out of 10 passengers for the BKSX. It took about three minutes to get my bag into the x-ray machine (thought the TSO was going to fall asleep at his seat). TSO in front of BKSX directed me into it. I said, "I opt out." He didn't hear me, so I repeated it. They walked me through the machine (!) and had me wait.

TSO doing pat-down put on new gloves without my asking and even moved my belongings for me so they'd be right on the table in front of me. He seemed really nervous, but he got through his spiel just fine. No problems with the pat-down or ETD swab. He didn't even touch my resistance (or even mention the word). He always said "sensitive area" before going into, well, sensitive areas.

Total time from "I opt out" to picking up my bags and leaving < 5 minutes. In my two opt-out experiences here at BOS, I've never had any issues. Not sure if that means I've gotten lucky with decent TSOs or if there's a good FSD / station chief here.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bceaglejoe
2:15 PM, BOS Terminal E (Gates E1A-E1E).

They had two bag x-rays going, but one WTMD / BKSX. Line moved quickly, and the moat dragon chose probably 9 out of 10 passengers for the BKSX. It took about three minutes to get my bag into the x-ray machine (thought the TSO was going to fall asleep at his seat). TSO in front of BKSX directed me into it. I said, "I opt out." He didn't hear me, so I repeated it. They walked me through the machine (!) and had me wait.

TSO doing pat-down put on new gloves without my asking and even moved my belongings for me so they'd be right on the table in front of me. He seemed really nervous, but he got through his spiel just fine. No problems with the pat-down or ETD swab. He didn't even touch my resistance (or even mention the word). He always said "sensitive area" before going into, well, sensitive areas.

Total time from "I opt out" to picking up my bags and leaving < 5 minutes. In my two opt-out experiences here at BOS, I've never had any issues. Not sure if that means I've gotten lucky with decent TSOs or if there's a good FSD / station chief here.
I absolutely refuse to walk through the AIT. If told I must, I would respond, "I'm not going anywhere near a source of ionizing radiation run by amateurs."
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PTravel
I absolutely refuse to walk through the AIT. If told I must, I would respond, "I'm not going anywhere near a source of ionizing radiation run by amateurs."
Exactly what I say.

Bruce
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:41 am

Angry TPA Opt-Out assult

I've opted out of nearly every AIT scan this year - maybe 20 or so, and generally haven't have issues. Usually the worst I have to deal with is the rolling of the eyes or loud "we have an opt-out!" screech.

So at TPA this week, I opted out and two TSA agents came over to me and went through the usual spiel. One was very young, and was friendly and courteous, and he is the one who did the pat-down. Overall, I thought it to be a typical experience. However, after the screening, Mrs. HH went ballistic on the agent. She went through the WTMD, and was standing right behind him during the screening. Apparently, while he was feeling my inner thighs and buttocks from behind, he was making sexual faces to the other nearby TSA agent, both unaware they were being observed.

The agent, when confronted, denied it, and went for a "manager" (apparently, they aren't "supervisors" anymore). We expressed our concerns to the "manager", who said that the agent was new, and he would address the concern, then he dismissed us. Mrs. HH felt like this wasn't being addressed, so she asked if he had a supervisor, to which the "manager" replied "I am the manager in charge here" (really, of all the piers at TPA at that moment?). When Mrs. HH started writing down the names of the agents, the "manager" became agitated, and advised us to leave the screening area. When pressed, he offered a "complaint form" to us, and handed Mrs. HH a small piece of paper with the phone number for TPA's Lost and Found office on it.

After we left the screening area, Mrs. HH realized the sham with the piece of paper, and not one to be daunted, marched back to the TSA booth. The "manager" would no longer talk to her, but another agent gave her a piece of paper with the TSA's website on it, and apologized for the confusion.

So, lacking any real evidence, do I complain and risk being put on the no-fly list or excluded from any future "trusted traveler" programs? Do I write me congressional reps? Or is this just how America is now, and I have to deal with it?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by LittleSparrow
Heading home. No scope/grope on way back. I discovered yesterday that my pat down had left me with a sizeable bruise and the whole experience has triggered cascading panic attacks.

I wish I had gotten names. Oh well. I have decided that as much as I fear retaliation, I will bring a complaint forward. I fear not being allowed to fly out of ONT without harassment, but given what happened, that's probably still a pipe dream.

I will be contacting my local rape crisis center when I get home. The fear of reprisal (underage drinking) kept me from going to the police, as did the fact that it was the man I was dating and pretty much living with. I will not let the fear of the TSA keep me from speaking out. I haven't told my family about it; only a few close friends know. I will also go back into counseling and have my doctors readjust my meds.

I plan to file a complaint to TSA online, complain about the bruising (I took pictures), ACLU, and call my congresscritter who didn't give me a form letter back about the TSA. Any other avenues? Alex Jones Show? Local news?
I have now heard several stories of people who have trouble flying due to a psychological impairment caused by the TSA. Technically, the term would be "decompensation", if you start experiencing panic when going through the security line.

I believe these folks, and am sorry to see how far our country has fallen. Now, I'm just waiting for these folks to march to their Social Security office and file for disability, given that most jobs require flying. I can't say I'd blame them.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
I've opted out of nearly every AIT scan this year - maybe 20 or so, and generally haven't have issues. Usually the worst I have to deal with is the rolling of the eyes or loud "we have an opt-out!" screech.

So at TPA this week, I opted out and two TSA agents came over to me and went through the usual spiel. One was very young, and was friendly and courteous, and he is the one who did the pat-down. Overall, I thought it to be a typical experience. However, after the screening, Mrs. HH went ballistic on the agent. She went through the WTMD, and was standing right behind him during the screening. Apparently, while he was feeling my inner thighs and buttocks from behind, he was making sexual faces to the other nearby TSA agent, both unaware they were being observed.

The agent, when confronted, denied it, and went for a "manager" (apparently, they aren't "supervisors" anymore). We expressed our concerns to the "manager", who said that the agent was new, and he would address the concern, then he dismissed us. Mrs. HH felt like this wasn't being addressed, so she asked if he had a supervisor, to which the "manager" replied "I am the manager in charge here" (really, of all the piers at TPA at that moment?). When Mrs. HH started writing down the names of the agents, the "manager" became agitated, and advised us to leave the screening area. When pressed, he offered a "complaint form" to us, and handed Mrs. HH a small piece of paper with the phone number for TPA's Lost and Found office on it.

After we left the screening area, Mrs. HH realized the sham with the piece of paper, and not one to be daunted, marched back to the TSA booth. The "manager" would no longer talk to her, but another agent gave her a piece of paper with the TSA's website on it, and apologized for the confusion.

So, lacking any real evidence, do I complain and risk being put on the no-fly list or excluded from any future "trusted traveler" programs? Do I write me congressional reps? Or is this just how America is now, and I have to deal with it?
Amazing what video can solve.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Exactly what I say.

Bruce
As far as I can tell, it was not "on" when I walked through it. Not sure what good that does. I didn't stop to strike the prisoner / gulag / delousing pose.

TSA at BOS seems to actually be somewhat decent. They didn't ask me to tell them which gate I was going to, ask me to pronounce my last name, etc. Back when WTMD were mostly in use, they were having people bring BP / ID through the WTMD for them to inspect it again on the other side. Total make-work.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Family Opt-Out Irritates PHX TSA

PHX T4, 22 July, 600 am:

My wife, son (17) and I are flying together, having all committed to opt out as a group should the NoS or MMW prove unavoidable. For the first time on our multi-stop ten-day trip, it is.

Wife and son precede me in line. They announce their opt-out preference and are ushered through a glass-door gate and around the NoS with reasonable courtesy. I am next. I follow suit. That's three in a row. TSO running the NoS rolls her eyes and parks me next to the glass gate.

My stuff (carry-on, computer, smartphone, keys, shoes, etc.) sails through the x-ray belt and down to the end of the rollers. Other passengers cross my field of vision. There is a TSO standing on the other side of the glass-door gate.

Me to TSO: "I can't maintain visual contact with my personal items down there."

TSO to me: "I can't do anything about that."

Me: "Sir, according to the rules I have the right to stay in visual contact with my stuff."

TSO, snapping now: "I can't do anything about that."

Me, immediately: "Sir, I'd like to speak to a supervisor right now, please."

The TSO gives an exaggerated sigh and calls for "Lenny." My stuff is still lying out at the end of the belt, closer to where my wife is getting her patdown than it is to me. 60 seconds later "Lenny" appears, smiling thinly, and ushers me through the gate and around the NoS.

(At this point the TSO working my wife over says to her: "Oh, God, now your husband's here, too.")

Lenny hands me over to an older TSO who looks like Uncle Frank from the Jimmy Kimmel show. He has me identify my stuff, add my belt and wallet to the open bin, then asks if I'm traveling alone. No, I say, and indicate my wife and son.

My TSO asks if they can watch my stuff while I get my patdown.

Sure, I say, if I am allowed to communicate with my wife, who is about 20 feet away. I am not sure what retribution may come if I raise my voice and call out to her. Could be intervening with the screening process.

"The First Amendment's still good here," says my TSO frostily.

By now the immediate knot of TSOs is aware that a whole family of three is doing organized NoS resistance, and while my wife's and son's patdowns were pretty professional and cursory, I get the full five-minute treatment including extensive, repeat pressure against my genitals and anus.

Luckily no TSO stole anything, but still not happy with the point-blank refusal to let me monitor the status of my stuff.

What a load of nonsense this all is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.