Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 8:55 am

Opted out at PHX T2 last week, no problems. Did not opt out at LAX T6 and EWR because WTMD were available. Triggered the alarm because of the knee replacement and I was in for it anyway. Nothing invasive, quick and painless. Doesn't make it better, though.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Went through security post-customs at ATL yesterday. Let them know I could not raise my left arm. TSO guarding the WTMD looked me directly in the eye and said "Oh ok, No problem" in a rather soothing way that I initially took as sarcastic and condescending. I was sure I was in for it, however, he let me through WTMD with no problem and yelled to the guy behind NoS "He's got a problem with his arm" to let him know why I wasn't going through NoS.

Bags were piling up on the other side as there was a line to enter NoS.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Didn't have to opt out at TPA this weekend. Terminal C on Sunday, not much of a line, but the moat dragon was asking people, "Do you have anything on you that might set off this machine?" (pointing at the WTMD as she did), and letting some people go through WTMD and others go through MMW. I was lucky; I said "No" when she asked, and she waved me through the WTMD.

Sat airside for about 10 minutes putting myself back together and saw no opt-outs, but a couple of targeted resolution pat-downs.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
Originally Posted by FearFree
Just imagine the chaos that would ensue if you used a mobile boarding pass at the TDC and then handed the secondary guy a non-scribbled on paper BP
I've done that except I had multiple copies of my paper boarding passes. Handed them non-scribbled pass after WTMD. Minor flip-out of TSOs occurred while they tried to determine who neglected to scribble on my pass. It was fun to watch. This was pre-Nude-o-scope rollout.

Last edited by breny; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm Reason: added more info
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: QFF
SEA checkpoint 2
Two TDCs in line. The first right after the airport contractor checking premium line access. First TDC just scanned boarding pass, presumably to filter precheck.
Got past the 2nd TDC without any issues, grabbed trays and moved to WTMD/BKSX combo. Side closest to BKSX was backing up, so I changed sides. Was ready to opt out as they were alternating between sending people through each machine. Then they sent the next 5+ people (including me) through the WTMD with a TSO blocking off the BKSX. There weren't any pat downs happening, so no apparent reason to have closed it for a few minutes. They had reopened it when I was collecting the last of my carry ons.

2/3 cleared SDOOs for this trip so far. STL, DTW, LAX, IAH, DCA and ORD left.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Opted out at ACY on Friday. Since ACY requires nothing in the pockets, no matter what, my goodies were already in my carry-on.

Opted out immediately and the TSO sent me through the gate. He brought my luggage to me, voluntarily changed his gloves and gave me a quick pat-down. Sent me on my way afterward.

I moved through almost as quickly as those who chose the NoS.

Mike
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:07 pm

Was at T2 at PHX today. To my surprise I got motioned to go through the WTMD. Damn, why me, why now? My new knee does not cooperate, so I had to opt out as usual. However, still really, really sad
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Opt'd out in OKC on Friday 10/26. Got up to the line and told them I opt out because it hurts to raise my arm (what they don't know won't hurt them). The guy asked me to step aside and then called for an opt out, but within 10 seconds questioned me and asked if I was UNABLE to raise my arm. I said yes, went through the good ole WTMD. No issues or questions.

When I got to LHR and had to reclear in T1 for my connection, only the WTMD was in use. They did swab my bag (with a used cloth - I was ready to make that point the second it went off), but it didn't, so I grabbed my stuff and moved on.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Opt'd out in OKC on Friday 10/26. Got up to the line and told them I opt out because it hurts to raise my arm (what they don't know won't hurt them). The guy asked me to step aside and then called for an opt out, but within 10 seconds questioned me and asked if I was UNABLE to raise my arm. I said yes, went through the good ole WTMD. No issues or questions.
If your medically unable to assume the position do not mention the word opt-out as its different.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by CDKing
If your medically unable to assume the position do not mention the word opt-out as its different.
Except when it is not.

Most recently (posted elsewhere) at the UA checkpoint at PHX. TSO insisted that a physical inability to assume and hold the position meant 'you are opting out'. This happens to me quite frequently, and I am careful to never use the words 'opt out'.

I have found that sometimes it works better to say nothing, enter the NoS, and when the NoS monitor tells me to assume the position, then I explain that I can't. When I do that, I always get told to exit the NoS, and the post-NoS groper always seems to know how to do a full-body grope right there to clear me. Saves me the hassle of waiting for a specially-trained, sometimes not readily available full body opt-out groper.

There are always 'anomaly resolution' gropers standing around after the NoS to grope folks who 'fail' the scan. They're just not 'available' or 'trained' to grope opt-outs.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Except when it is not.

Most recently (posted elsewhere) at the UA checkpoint at PHX. TSO insisted that a physical inability to assume and hold the position meant 'you are opting out'. This happens to me quite frequently, and I am careful to never use the words 'opt out'.

I have found that sometimes it works better to say nothing, enter the NoS, and when the NoS monitor tells me to assume the position, then I explain that I can't. When I do that, I always get told to exit the NoS, and the post-NoS groper always seems to know how to do a full-body grope right there to clear me. Saves me the hassle of waiting for a specially-trained, sometimes not readily available full body opt-out groper.

There are always 'anomaly resolution' gropers standing around after the NoS to grope folks who 'fail' the scan. They're just not 'available' or 'trained' to grope opt-outs.

You never want to enter the NoS...we've read here of people that were fried anyways, after the NoS operators insisted they could scan them arms down.

Anytime I've encountered a barker that insists a shoulder is an opt-out, I simply ask the next person in sight.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Correct as once you mention the words "opt-out", there is no taking it back and it's a done deal
where you win a maSSSSage

Except when it is not.

I had the exact same experience at UA-PHX 10 days ago and got into it (albeit very politely) with the WTMD gatekeeper TSO and had to escalate it to a 3 striper where he backed me up and "educated" the TSO right in front of me. Now as to whether she followed his instructions in the future is another story
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Correct as once you mention the words "opt-out", there is no taking it back and it's a done deal
where you win a maSSSSage

I had the exact same experience at UA-PHX 10 days ago and got into it (albeit very politely) with the WTMD gatekeeper TSO and had to escalate it to a 3 striper where he backed me up and "educated" the TSO right in front of me. Now as to whether she followed his instructions in the future is another story
Wonder if it's the same female WTMD gatekeeper TSO that was supposedly 're-educated' by a 3-striper at the same checkpoint a few weeks ago when she told me that physical inability to 'use' the NoS was an 'opt out'.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Wonder if it's the same female WTMD gatekeeper TSO that was supposedly 're-educated' by a 3-striper at the same checkpoint a few weeks ago when she told me that physical inability to 'use' the NoS was an 'opt out'.
Shoulder length blondish hair, about 140lbs?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Shoulder length blondish hair, about 140lbs?
Nope, this one had jet-black hair (pulled sloppily back, probably shoulder length) and very fair skin, 5'6" or so, 140-50 pounds is about right. There was also an aggressive female TSO, similar build, red hair (light), who immediately stepped up to back her up (and to block my view of my belongings).

Guess they're consistent in their training at the UA checkpoint, huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.