Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
FWIW, I've never had a problem with the grope or felt it was too invasive. I totally understand if other people don't like being touched, but it's no big deal to me. Like I said, "assuming the position" and being shuffled around like a cow is much more demeaning to me.

To each his own...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by joelfreak
I am stunned. My letter to my Congressman has resulted in a letter FROM the Congressman to Mr. Pistole asking for a complete explanation of what happened to me. The Congressman asked for clarification of who determines what a "medically necessary liquid" is, and if the screener is the final word, and also if the TSA has the right to ask for ID WITHIN the screening process, when they know the ID has been presented to ENTER the screening process. This letter is more than I could have asked for, and I certainly await a reply from the TSA.
See, I tell you, write your Congressman or other government officials. It makes more of an impact than acting out at the checkpoint to make a point. Folks that act out just look like screwballs. How do you think the rules for screening kids and seniors changed? Not by making a scene at the checkpoint...although that is good for a laugh by TSA and other passengers.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
Just another way of making you understand who is in charge.

Mike
I thought about that initially as well, but the Supervisor seemed absolutely baffled by the distinction himself and said that is what his bosses told him and that is what is practiced at the checkpoint.

He than said that he would allow me to use the Metal Detector this time (rather than being considered an opt-out), but in the future to avoid issues, enter the machine and then explain that you (me) are unable to raise your arm.

Dan
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:14 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Nude-O-Scope Opt Out Stories [merged]

Apparently I'm allowed to use the MSP employee checkpoint. Easiest SDOO ever, lol.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
He kind of took offense a little bit and said, "I didn't say you had a problem" and then started talking about his "service" and how he "served long ago" so that I would have the "freedom of choice." blah blah blah
Did you ask him if he was aware of the contradiction posed by his complaining that you were engaging in a freedom that he'd fought for?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 3:28 pm

First time opt-out at LIH. SDOO fail. After an initial attempt, nobody tried to tell me how safe it was. Groper changed gloves without being asked. Patdown not dissimilar to that at a heavy metal concert; no genitalia were touched. Groper was friendly and I told him how I always use Pre-Check. Seemed the patdown was faster than waiting in line for the MMW.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by bigmac3011
First time opt-out at LIH. SDOO fail. After an initial attempt, nobody tried to tell me how safe it was. Groper changed gloves without being asked. Patdown not dissimilar to that at a heavy metal concert; no genitalia were touched. Groper was friendly and I told him how I always use Pre-Check. Seemed the patdown was faster than waiting in line for the MMW.
Is LIH still demanding to see (and copy down) your boarding pass and ID details after an opt-out?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Majuki
Is LIH still demanding to see (and copy down) your boarding pass and ID details after an opt-out?
Exactly my question. An interesting time was had denying them my info. It prevents me from going back until i hear that nonsense has stopped.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:39 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Excuse my FT acronym illiteracy but what is SDOO?

?? Opt Out?

Last edited by KenTarmac; Oct 21, 2012 at 2:46 am
Old Oct 21, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Excuse my FT acronym illiteracy but what is SDOO?

?? Opt Out?
Self Directed Opt Out. Choosing a lane where there is no scanner operating.

Originally SDPOO, Self-Directed Positional Opt Out and shorted for brevity.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:56 am

Yes, before I knew what was happening he grabbed my boarding pass and copied down my name. Fortunately my name is very long and the boarding pass does not contain my entire first name, let alone my middle name. His handwriting was pretty bad as well.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
Yes, before I knew what was happening he grabbed my boarding pass and copied down my name. Fortunately my name is very long and the boarding pass does not contain my entire first name, let alone my middle name. His handwriting was pretty bad as well.
This is one of the many reasons I always use an electronic boarding pass whenever possible. Whenever I've used a paper boarding pass, it goes into my bag immediately after being cleared by the TDC.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
This is one of the many reasons I always use an electronic boarding pass whenever possible. Whenever I've used a paper boarding pass, it goes into my bag immediately after being cleared by the TDC.
+1

I just say "I have a mobile boarding pass". This is particularly fun at SFO where CAS contract TSOs ask to verify your boarding pass a second time after the TDC, sometimes fewer than 10 seconds after the TDC has checked it (and asked you to state your name verbally). The TDC has just checked my paper boarding pass, and the sheeple are just complying. I mentioned that I have a mobile boarding pass, and the secondary checker just says, "Oh, ok." It's technically true. I have the app on my phone and a mobile boarding pass, but I always print out a paper copy if needed. Somehow they don't need to check again if you have a mobile boarding pass but they do if you have a paper one?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
+1

I just say "I have a mobile boarding pass". This is particularly fun at SFO where CAS contract TSOs ask to verify your boarding pass a second time after the TDC, sometimes fewer than 10 seconds after the TDC has checked it (and asked you to state your name verbally). The TDC has just checked my paper boarding pass, and the sheeple are just complying. I mentioned that I have a mobile boarding pass, and the secondary checker just says, "Oh, ok." It's technically true. I have the app on my phone and a mobile boarding pass, but I always print out a paper copy if needed. Somehow they don't need to check again if you have a mobile boarding pass but they do if you have a paper one?
Just imagine the chaos that would ensue if you used a mobile boarding pass at the TDC and then handed the secondary guy a non-scribbled on paper BP
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: QFF
Just went though BOS AA checkpoint.
Everything except precheck was going through BKSX. Opted out the moment I saw the paired WTMD on my lane was blocked. The TDC manning the precheck/priority line was talking up precheck and handing out cards. Suggested I get GE. Only I can't with an Australian passport... He was quite surprised when I told him I wasn't able to get GE and that GE was only open to a limited amount of countries. On both the JFK (last Thursday) and BOS boarding passes, it appears that the TDC is signing their names on the pass instead of a random scribble.

They called for assist twice, no one came. The TSO tried to get me to stand by the opposite xray belt. I said I needed to see my stuff, the TSO claimed it was fine, there were cameras. I ended up standing between the WTMD and the BKSX line watching my stuff through the WTMD while they tried to block my view.

After a few minutes they closed off the BKSX to do my pat down. Had me stand on the secure side of the BKSX facing my things on the belt and got new gloves out of the box without my having to ask. While doing that, another TSO was cleaning up the tubs from the belt and dropped my laptop (though it appears to be undamaged). I was asked if I had had the pat down before (yes), and they went through the whole "resistance" speech anyway. Only did a light pat down of my legs and didn't go inside my pants.
Didn't see anyone else optting out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.