Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beofotch
Why aren't more people who post opt out stories doing TSA Shoulder Syndrome opt-outs?
I'm batting 100% for TSASS resulting in a full patdown at ORD this year. Almost everywhere else it works for getting directed to the WTMD, but at ORd italways results in a patdown.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by CavePearl
I've had a screener try to look under my wedding band before.
obvi trying to steal it
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:34 pm

dupe post
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FearFree
I'm batting 100% for TSASS resulting in a full patdown at ORD this year. Almost everywhere else it works for getting directed to the WTMD, but at ORd italways results in a patdown.
At ORD a few months back, the two-striper was as laid-back as anyone in his position could be and just assumed I had TSASS. He cheerily told me, "You don't need to claim a condition to opt out, ya know." Got a very light, quick patdown and no swab.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
Why aren't more people who post opt out stories doing TSA Shoulder Syndrome opt-outs?
We have two young children, so almost always get the family opt out. When that doesn't work, I want the TSA (and hopefully others paying attention) to notice my protest. If I used this, I feel I would be doing a disservice to those that do actually have true medical reasons to opt out.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by firespirit
We have two young children, so almost always get the family opt out. When that doesn't work, I want the TSA (and hopefully others paying attention) to notice my protest. If I used this, I feel I would be doing a disservice to those that do actually have true medical reasons to opt out.
We have the same family opt-out. I take one kid and my wife takes the other. One time, and I don't remember why, my wife suggested just taking the kid she was carrying through the NoS. I told her she was not taking our child through one of those, except it came out a bit louder than I had intended. Man, did people jump.

I still have yet to understand, though, why I am somehow "less dangerous" because I have a little person with me.

Mike
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mikeef
We have the same family opt-out. I take one kid and my wife takes the other. One time, and I don't remember why, my wife suggested just taking the kid she was carrying through the NoS. I told her she was not taking our child through one of those, except it came out a bit louder than I had intended. Man, did people jump.

I still have yet to understand, though, why I am somehow "less dangerous" because I have a little person with me.

Mike
Kind of conflicts with TSA's prior interest in baby booties and diapers because, as we all know (but no one has documented), the bad guys have an extensive history of using babies and little kids as WMDs...

Apparently the bad guys still use mother's milk and baby food, however...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
Originally Posted by chollie
Kind of conflicts with TSA's prior interest in baby booties and diapers because, as we all know (but no one has documented), the bad guys have an extensive history of using babies and little kids as WMDs...

Apparently the bad guys still use mother's milk and baby food, however...
This is why I'm not looking forward to my next trip. Traveling without babies, but bringing back breast milk. Should be fun times! Expecting the worst, hoping for the best.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:50 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
For me, I refuse to allow our immoral government to push me into doing immoral things (lying) just to travel in an airplane. I stand up for my principles and beliefs.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:15 am

I got really angry one time, and held up my advanced Statistics manual that I was developing a lesson plan from and yelled, "Look everyone!!! It's a Statistics book! I's a weapon of Math Instruction!!"

As the L3 AIT Screener returns 100% false positives for people with disabilities, I was not in a good mood to begin with...
Old Aug 10, 2013, 11:04 am

I can't stand with legs apart and hands over my head due to a very badly injured ankle; I arrive at the screening point in a wheelchair. At SEA, when I explain this, they consistently say I have to have a pat down because I am an opt out. The last time, I got a bit annoyed and said that I am not opting out, I have no option because I have a temporary disability that I did not choose to have.

I will say that, before the bad ankle, I used to opt out 100% of the time, so maybe I am remembered from that.

Still, I think that disabled people who cannot 'assume the position' should not be called opt-outs. It's offensive, coming from obviously able-bodied people, to refer to physical incapacity as though it were some kind of perverse choice that people make.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by flitcraft
I can't stand with legs apart and hands over my head due to a very badly injured ankle; I arrive at the screening point in a wheelchair. At SEA, when I explain this, they consistently say I have to have a pat down because I am an opt out. The last time, I got a bit annoyed and said that I am not opting out, I have no option because I have a temporary disability that I did not choose to have.

I will say that, before the bad ankle, I used to opt out 100% of the time, so maybe I am remembered from that.

Still, I think that disabled people who cannot 'assume the position' should not be called opt-outs. It's offensive, coming from obviously able-bodied people, to refer to physical incapacity as though it were some kind of perverse choice that people make.
What I find almost silly (if it weren't so ignorant) is when a TSO starts badgering me about my physical limitations - insisting that I demonstrate or warning me, at length, that if I can't use the NoS, there will be a long wait for a groper, very invasive grope, private parts touched, extensive bag swab and search, machine is really safe, no one wants to see under my clothes (although they do want to put their hands inside my pants and between my legs).

I don't get this approach - does it ever really work? Are there that many people who fake a physical limitation and then suddenly change their mind, admit they were faking, and go to the NoS when they hear the pitch? Or do they get scared, go in the NoS anyway, and then get a full-body 'resolution' grope because they couldn't assume and hold the position for a clean scan?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Yesterday's opt-out story comes with a hugely positive outcome as I was actually able to convince the SEA checkpoint operators to use common sense.

I had a medium sized mason jar of pickled items which I didn't want to open. They were in a small soft-sided cooler packed in ice. Also in the cooler was my set of Freedom Bottles in the appropriate baggie.

I expected to hear a bag check call and was prepared to leave the CP and pour the liquids into the appropriately sized magical bomb-innocuizing bottles. Of course the bag was checked.

The TSA person asked if I thought the solid in the jar was "displacing enough liquid so as to put the total volume of liquid under 3.4oz". I said I did not, but that it would fill two 3.4oz bottles, which were right next to the jar, and I was prepared to do so if he insisted the liquid be in an approved container. He pondered for a moment, called a supervisor and stated again the above. The jar of harmless pickled items was cleared and allowed to proceed with little further discussion. I thanked them for displaying completely reasonable, independent thought and carried on.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
Yesterday's opt-out story comes with a hugely positive outcome as I was actually able to convince the SEA checkpoint operators to use common sense.

I had a medium sized mason jar of pickled items which I didn't want to open. They were in a small soft-sided cooler packed in ice. Also in the cooler was my set of Freedom Bottles in the appropriate baggie.

I expected to hear a bag check call and was prepared to leave the CP and pour the liquids into the appropriately sized magical bomb-innocuizing bottles. Of course the bag was checked.

The TSA person asked if I thought the solid in the jar was "displacing enough liquid so as to put the total volume of liquid under 3.4oz". I said I did not, but that it would fill two 3.4oz bottles, which were right next to the jar, and I was prepared to do so if he insisted the liquid be in an approved container. He pondered for a moment, called a supervisor and stated again the above. The jar of harmless pickled items was cleared and allowed to proceed with little further discussion. I thanked them for displaying completely reasonable, independent thought and carried on.
^^^^^ to the TSO who exercised judgment and ^^^^^ to a supervisor who supported that common sense.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
^^^^^ to the TSO who exercised judgment and ^^^^^ to a supervisor who supported that common sense.
Retraining has already been scheduled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.