FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:55 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by tkey75
Yesterday's opt-out story comes with a hugely positive outcome as I was actually able to convince the SEA checkpoint operators to use common sense.

I had a medium sized mason jar of pickled items which I didn't want to open. They were in a small soft-sided cooler packed in ice. Also in the cooler was my set of Freedom Bottles in the appropriate baggie.

I expected to hear a bag check call and was prepared to leave the CP and pour the liquids into the appropriately sized magical bomb-innocuizing bottles. Of course the bag was checked.

The TSA person asked if I thought the solid in the jar was "displacing enough liquid so as to put the total volume of liquid under 3.4oz". I said I did not, but that it would fill two 3.4oz bottles, which were right next to the jar, and I was prepared to do so if he insisted the liquid be in an approved container. He pondered for a moment, called a supervisor and stated again the above. The jar of harmless pickled items was cleared and allowed to proceed with little further discussion. I thanked them for displaying completely reasonable, independent thought and carried on.
^^^^^ to the TSO who exercised judgment and ^^^^^ to a supervisor who supported that common sense.