Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:58 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Why can't all travelers use the WTMD?

People who think they are special give me a sharp pain right in the AS_!
I never said I was special. I agree that all travelers should go through the WTMD.

Just saying that if they're going to use the NOS, but make exceptions for children, elderly, and Pre-Check passengers, you'd think they'd make one for airline employees as well, since they are, arguably, as low risk as you can get.

(Though obviously, 99.9999999999999999% of passengers are low risk.)

Anyways...

I hate having to go through TSA twice. Couldn't get out of PWM this morning, so I just arrived in BOS, Terminal B.

No SDOO available, and BSX still in use. Put my stuff on the belt (first mistake...) and the <redacted> 2-striper guarding the WTMD waves me to the NOS. I tell him I have a sore shoulder and ask to go through the WTMD. He tells me to stand off to the side and calls "Opt-Out."

I do not move, and tell him that I am NOT Opting-Out, but have a sore shoulder and can't assume the position.

He immediately gets hostile, and says, "You chose this, I think you're lying, and you're getting a full patdown because of it."

I respond by again saying it's medical, ask him to call a 3-striper, and move off to the side. I can't see my stuff from where he's having me stand, so I move to where I can barely see my stuff.

He yells, "Get your butt over there! You chose this, remember?"

"But I cannot see my belongings, so I'm standing here."

"That's your problem, and you're holding up the line."

"Your own employees would dump a terminal over a bag unattended, and you're telling me to do just that. I am standing here where I can see my stuff. If your supervisor gets over here quickly, you can continue irradiating people."

"I'm calling a Statie now and having you arrested for "interfering with screening." MOVE."

"Go ahead and call one, I'm sure he'd love to hear you telling me to leave my stuff unattended. Now, are you going to call a Male Assist so we can get this over with or not?"

He finally does, and of course his threat to call a LEO was empty.

And lucky me, he was the one doing the Opt-Out Grope. To his credit, as much as I hate to admit, he was extremely professional during the grope, putting on clean gloves (not from his pocket) without prompting, and it was one of the least invasive patdowns I've had.

When finished I immediately went over to the 3-striper, who was very, very nice. Asked for a comment card, and he gave me not only his name and badge number, but the 2-striper who I was dealing with. 3-striper said he had heard the commotion (I raised my voice loudly, as did he), and thought his employee was in the wrong, especially when he said my patdown would be retaliatory.

I lost my cool a bit more than I would've liked to, but I suppose getting into a shouting match with a TSO isn't the worst thing in the world. People certainly noticed, and I saw two Opt-Outs immediately after me.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by PWMRamper
...3-striper said he had heard the commotion (I raised my voice loudly, as did he), and thought his employee was in the wrong, especially when he said my patdown would be retaliatory. ...
And yet did nothing about it.

You really have to wonder what sort of outfit TSA is running when its supervisory personnel is both apparently unable and unwilling to adequately address retaliatory screenings.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:41 am

I was recently told at PHX that if one unable to raise one or both arms (like myself who has a shoulder injury) one has to enter the machine and after being instructed how to stand, than inform that TSA employee that you are unable to raise your arm/arms.

Apparently, one has to show their willingness to use the machine but due to injury are unable to rather than before even being informed how to use the machine stating you are unable to use the machine. The later I was informed is considered an opt-out while the prior is considered medically ineligible.

A very strange distinction IMHO, but hey what I do not know.

Dan
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dan1431
I was recently told at PHX that if one unable to raise one or both arms (like myself who has a shoulder injury) one has to enter the machine and after being instructed how to stand, than inform that TSA employee that you are unable to raise your arm/arms.

Apparently, one has to show their willingness to use the machine but due to injury are unable to rather than before even being informed how to use the machine stating you are unable to use the machine. The later I was informed is considered an opt-out while the prior is considered medically ineligible.

Dan
Strange indeed.

A medical condition is just that, and there shouldn't be a punishment (opt-out grope) for having experienced the situation before, knowing what is ahead.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=PWMRamper;19519171]I never said I was special. I agree that all travelers should go through the WTMD.

Just saying that if they're going to use the NOS, but make exceptions for children, elderly, and Pre-Check passengers, you'd think they'd make one for airline employees as well, since they are, arguably, as low risk as you can get. (Though obviously, 99.9999999999999999% of passengers are low risk.) /QUOTE]

Yes the risk of airline employees can certainly be a point of argument!

http://www.ice.gov/news/releases/121...17newyork2.htm

Life sentence for former American Airlines employee who led drug enterprise

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...rug-smuggling/

An American Airlines employee accused of trying to smuggle in drugs to the U.S. was quickly arrested upon landing at a South Florida airport.

http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.ht...792&pageNum=-1

Authorities are investigating an incident on board an American Airlines flight from Dallas to Chicago in which two flight attendants were injured,
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
I've thought about this, yes. And you are correct that both are humiliating.

The way I see it, I'm not a criminal and I don't like being automatically presumed to be one. So if TSA insists on making the security process invasive, then someone is going to look me in the eye and treat me as an individual and "earn" that suspicion. By opting out, I'm forcing TSA to acknowledge that I don't approve of the system. They can't ignore me and act like I'm some nameless faceless animal passing through a plastic box.

That's why.
Never underestimate the ability of a human being to perceive - and treat - other human beings like nameless faceless animals.

I respect your decision and dedication. But I make the opposite choice; I don't opt-out, because I will never willingly submit to a physical assault, sexual or otherwise. Opting out is not only submitting to one, it's requesting one.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by dan1431

Dan
Just another way of making you understand who is in charge.

Mike
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I am stunned. My letter to my Congressman has resulted in a letter FROM the Congressman to Mr. Pistole asking for a complete explanation of what happened to me. The Congressman asked for clarification of who determines what a "medically necessary liquid" is, and if the screener is the final word, and also if the TSA has the right to ask for ID WITHIN the screening process, when they know the ID has been presented to ENTER the screening process. This letter is more than I could have asked for, and I certainly await a reply from the TSA.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joelfreak
I am stunned. My letter to my Congressman has resulted in a letter FROM the Congressman to Mr. Pistole asking for a complete explanation of what happened to me. The Congressman asked for clarification of who determines what a "medically necessary liquid" is, and if the screener is the final word, and also if the TSA has the right to ask for ID WITHIN the screening process, when they know the ID has been presented to ENTER the screening process. This letter is more than I could have asked for, and I certainly await a reply from the TSA.
Please, oh please, post the entire text.

If he/she is in a tight race, PM me with a name. I have some cash looking for a candidate to support.

In reference to this post, I assume.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Please, oh please, post the entire text.

If he/she is in a tight race, PM me with a name. I have some cash looking for a candidate to support.

In reference to this post, I assume.
Yes, it is in reference to that post. I only have the letter as a PDF right now, so posting the text would take a bunch of work...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Wow ^

This sounds great, although I'll bet you a shiny TSA tin badge that you get back a letter filled with b.s. from TSA. Probably won't even your questions, instead referring you to TSA.gov, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:26 pm

Just so people know who it is, my Rep is Steve Israel (D) NY. http://israel.house.gov
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:17 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by lovely15
Fair enough.
And I try to make sure that the groper knows he's less of a man because he's assaulting me.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:07 pm

Just so people know who it is, my Rep is Steve Israel (D) NY. http://israel.house.gov
Huh. The only New York member of the House who has a Libertarian Party opponent this November.

Coincidence? @:-)
Old Oct 18, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KDS
And I try to make sure that the groper knows he's less of a man because he's assaulting me.
Yeah, I don't think accusing a woman of not being a woman for groping me would have the same effect. I mean, I'd love to take more of a stand, but can't bring myself to be rubbed voluntarily. I guess I belong in the thread that was started recently!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.