Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Not even "anything for security"... just a complete lack of modesty.
For some of us, it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with "modesty," but "control."

As in, "control over who gets to do what to my body."
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Yes, you're right. The UA checkpoint only has the WTMD. Of course, you have the Air Serv ticket checkers who will direct you to the AA checkpoint. There are ways around this, of course, and I know people flying AA who insist to use that line. The TDC doesn't care, but you have to get to the TDC first. The Air Serv employees are much harder to get past.

If it's any time during the day, the UA security checkpoint lines are a mess. Even if you get past the Air Serv people, they probably wouldn't let you use the elite lane. The elite line on the AA side with an opt-out is faster than going through the general line on the UA side.

I've been through the T3 AA checkpoint at various times of the day and weekend since the first of the year. When it's not busy, they will shut down everything but one xray belt and the MMW scanner. I've never seen the MMW scanner shut down since the first of the year. (At almost all other airports I've seen, the opposite is true. If there are no pax going through they'll shut down the scanners and have everyone go through the WTMD.)

As for people not opting out, I imagine that those in the know are, in fact, doing what you're suggestion and doing self-directed opt-outs without it being visible to even the best BDO out there. Others simply won't fly. There are more yet who had never had to opt-out because either their small hometown airport doesn't have scanners or the scanners were roped off when they flew.

Admittedly, I went through the MMW twice at SFO. I didn't get a secondary 'targeted' patdown either, so I definitely felt like that was the path of least resistance. Maybe others have made the same determination. Once the MMWs universally have ATD software installed and the secret frosted glass viewing rooms get dismantled, there will be far fewer privacy concerns. It still doesn't stop the ionizing radiation issue from the backscatter scanners, though. I also think that the ATD software will be set to a more sensitive level such that you'd be more likely to get a targeted patdown with it than with a human viewing the image.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Admittedly, I went through the MMW twice at SFO. I didn't get a secondary 'targeted' patdown either, so I definitely felt like that was the path of least resistance. Maybe others have made the same determination. Once the MMWs universally have ATD software installed and the secret frosted glass viewing rooms get dismantled, there will be far fewer privacy concerns. It still doesn't stop the ionizing radiation issue from the backscatter scanners, though. I also think that the ATD software will be set to a more sensitive level such that you'd be more likely to get a targeted patdown with it than with a human viewing the image.
Well you mean if the secret viewing rooms really do go away. As for the software being set to a more sensitive level. Doesn't matter what level it is set. Alot more passengers will be receiving the patdowns if they haven't solved the problem of the high rate of false positives that has been reported from other countries who use this type of software.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:20 pm

And for those who don't know to what Lara21 is referring, this week's news from Germany continues to be that body scanners at airports are a 'security flop'. http://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/kom...eits-Flop.html The scanner is a 6 month voluntary trial and almost every media report has been the same since the trial began.

The rate of manual inspection required is estimated at 75 percent.

Die neue Software ist notwendig, da die Geräte zur Zeit sehr häufig Fehlalarm auslösen, die Rede ist von einer Fehlerquote bis zu 75 Prozent
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
And for those who don't know to what Lara21 is referring, this week's news from Germany continues to be that body scanners at airports are a 'security flop'. http://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/kom...eits-Flop.html The scanner is a 6 month voluntary trial and almost every media report has been the same since the trial began.

The rate of manual inspection required is estimated at 75 percent.
The remedy is "manual inspection"??? that sounds euphemistic. would that be performed over on Unter Dem Rock strasse?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:34 pm

I have not flown from HAM so haven't had the opportunity to volunteer, (not that I would) but if it is the general physical pat down found in most countries I am not concerned.

Nobody has ever in a German airport security check point put their hands down my underpants, looked down my underpants, put their hand up my skirt, lifted my skirt, bruised my breasts, caused me physical pain, pressed down firmly on an area I indicated was sore/injured, forced me to remove a medical device, or done anything similar to what TSA has done to me during a 'pat down'.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:43 pm

I have not flown from HAM so haven't had the opportunity to volunteer, (not that I would) but if it is the general physical pat down found in most countries I am not concerned.

Nobody has ever in a German airport security check point put their hands down my underpants, looked down my underpants, put their hand up my skirt, lifted my skirt, bruised my breasts, caused me physical pain, pressed down firmly on an area I indicated was sore/injured, forced me to remove a medical device, or done anything similar to what TSA has done to me during a 'pat down'.
That is great and I hope it continues. TSAism is contagious and I hope Germany and the rest of Europe doesn't catch it
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
OTOH the first experience I had with a searcher getting close up and personal, and moving his hands up my legs until he, ah, met resistance was at FRA about three years ago. In fairness, that was for a US-bound flight, presumably in accord with US demands to be thorough.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 4:47 pm

The good news is that the scanner test appears almost weekly in the news, there is a lot of support for the Werner Gruber failed scanner test on television from last year, and the Pirate Party continues to keep the subject alive through airport protests and street corner information sessions. And since Google Streetview rolled out last year with privacy concerns as well, the general topic continues to be a point of discussion.

My fear however is what will happen in March after the test comes to an end.

Fredd, I only flew from FRA to the US on a US carrier once last year, but there was no extra physcial or scanner check, just some inane questions asked of me by someone who shouted 'Ma'am!' at me and couldn't speak German. On the UA board it sounds like the FRA experience has improved in 2010 for US bound, US carriers.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:01 am

Had my first opt out at SEA this afternoon. It was totally dead so they were sending most people through the AIT. I noticed a few people opting out, too, so I wasn't alone.

Nothing too special to report. I almost had to make a fuss about my belongings going out of my sight, but my female assist came right as my bag was coming out of the xray scanner tunnel. She changed gloves without me asking and was very nice and polite. She was sick, so she came across as soft spoken, which was nice

She talked through what she was doing, and used the back of her hands on my "sensitive bits". She did the hands on my thigh going down, instead of going up, but she started basically at the very top of my thigh. I was wearing running leggings, too, so I felt everything. It really didn't bother me, which surprised me, because I'm insanely ticklish . Not saying I'm ok with these things, though!

The only weird thing was that she DID feel my hair and scalp. She actually commented on how thick my hair was, which got me thinking about why they did that as part of the new grope. I realized it'd actually be feasible to kind of "sew in" an extension/fake hair covered pack of explosives. A "Bump-It Bomb" if you will
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

Have you had./seen security run their hands through the hair?

That seems to be a fairly recent development. I haven't seen/had it done outside the US (but I haven't left the country in 2 months).
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:12 am

Opted out again today and for the first time demanded and got a supervisor.

When I opted out, the clerk made me stand in a spot where I could NOT see my belongings. I'd had to take out my netbook (that happens about half the time at BOS), so it was in a bin by its lonely self. I said I need to see my belongings while you are finding someone to finish this screening. He puffed right up and we went round and round with me sticking to the point that I needed to SEE MY THINGS (completely hidden behind their equipment) and him going on and on that he was trying to get someone over to conduct the pat down--then he tried to deflect to other stuff but sorry, dude, this isn't my first ride on a merry go round and bring my stuff over or get a supervisor. Boy that pissed him right off.

So I got groped as per usual (yes my hair was checked, also the neckband of my dressy t-shirt--seriously there IS no collar there, folks).

Finally I did speak to a supervisor. I made it really clear I'd cooperated all along and hadn't objected to any part of their stupid process (I didn't say stupid :P) but that I had to be able to see my things and that their WEBSITE says the same thing.

He said he'd make sure they all knew that and asked if I wanted a comment card. I just laughed at that, and not very nicely either and said those things were a total waste of time.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Have you had./seen security run their hands through the hair?

That seems to be a fairly recent development. I haven't seen/had it done outside the US (but I haven't left the country in 2 months).
are there reports of that in Germany? (or other countries?!)

No, definitely have not seen or experienced that anywhere but in the US.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by edj3
Finally I did speak to a supervisor. I made it really clear I'd cooperated all along and hadn't objected to any part of their stupid process (I didn't say stupid :P) but that I had to be able to see my things and that their WEBSITE says the same thing.
Well, of course they don't really want you to be able to see your stuff.

If you can see your stuff, how are they supposed to steal anything out of it?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by kiriel
Had my first opt out at SEA this afternoon. It was totally dead so they were sending most people through the AIT. I noticed a few people opting out, too, so I wasn't alone.

Nothing too special to report. I almost had to make a fuss about my belongings going out of my sight, but my female assist came right as my bag was coming out of the xray scanner tunnel. She changed gloves without me asking and was very nice and polite. She was sick, so she came across as soft spoken, which was nice

She talked through what she was doing, and used the back of her hands on my "sensitive bits". She did the hands on my thigh going down, instead of going up, but she started basically at the very top of my thigh. I was wearing running leggings, too, so I felt everything. It really didn't bother me, which surprised me, because I'm insanely ticklish . Not saying I'm ok with these things, though!

The only weird thing was that she DID feel my hair and scalp. She actually commented on how thick my hair was, which got me thinking about why they did that as part of the new grope. I realized it'd actually be feasible to kind of "sew in" an extension/fake hair covered pack of explosives. A "Bump-It Bomb" if you will

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.