Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by KDS
I've been trying this at EWR lately, but it appears there is another, super-secret procedure not well known to us frequent travelers.
A quick way to get the assist to appear is having something that might cause a bag check like being clumsy and unintentionally forgetting to take your kippie out of your bag.

I also think that telling the TSO in advance of your intention to opt-out might provoke a slowdown of the screening process. Furthermore, you don't know 100% if you'll be selected until the moat dragon has motioned you to go through. I've seen the NoS get roped off when there have only been two or three people between me and an opt-out.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:48 am

Small victory at ALB

Just now at ALB friendly agent changed gloves on demand. This was the first time I asked for a Pre swab and he refused. He called a sup and she refused but I kept my cool and was forceful yet friendly. At the end of the day she slipped up and said "I don't want to give the passengers a sense the machines don't work" and she patted me on the back as I left. I consider that a victory in that she acknowledged that I know my stuff but the refusal had me fuming inside. I made conversation during the pat down to help diffuse the situation and it worked. No hair, no bare areas touched. Pretty light honestly. You may not get your way when you stay polite, but sometimes you'll get a break because they know you're not an idiot like the other travelers.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:51 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Majuki
Furthermore, you don't know 100% if you'll be selected until the moat dragon has motioned you to go through. I've seen the NoS get roped off when there have only been two or three people between me and an opt-out.
EWR, Terminal B, gates 40 - 47. TSA does not allow you to go through WTMD ever, even when opting out. Even when the lines are over 45 minutes long. Not ever. EWR believes it will find the terrorist today!

(Oh, and I've been told by EWR TSOs many times that I don't need to watch my things on the conveyor belt; that they have cameras everywhere that will let them know who took my stuff if someone takes my stuff. The intellectual capacity of these people just overwhelms the imagination...

They look at me as if I were crazy when I tell them that seeing who took the stuff after it's gone is stupid when I can watch the stuff and keep it from being stolen in the first place!)

And, I was standing right at the WTMD, as my bags were going into the X-ray machine, when I told the TSO I would be opting out.

But I appreciate your comments nonetheless.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Flew out of MHT yesterday with my wife and kids and I continue to be amazed at how little kids are something like an anti-security talisman. TSA barely even paid attention to us as we strolled right through the WTMD and walked out of the checkpoint. Not to be too cynical, but why wouldn't a bad guy just take a kid with him? Or, more accurately, if they think these perfunctory procedures are ok for people with little kids, why not for people without kids.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
Not to be too cynical, but why wouldn't a bad guy just take a kid with him? Or, more accurately, if they think these perfunctory procedures are ok for people with little kids, why not for people without kids.
It's just security theatre.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:06 pm

You aren't being too cynical... I've had similar thoughts myself. Surely there are terrorists who have kids, or could recruit a kid into some scheme. I guess this wasn't addressed in one of their 'layers' of security.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by jco613
Just now at ALB friendly agent changed gloves on demand. This was the first time I asked for a Pre swab and he refused. He called a sup and she refused but I kept my cool and was forceful yet friendly. At the end of the day she slipped up and said "I don't want to give the passengers a sense the machines don't work" and she patted me on the back as I left. I consider that a victory in that she acknowledged that I know my stuff but the refusal had me fuming inside. I made conversation during the pat down to help diffuse the situation and it worked. No hair, no bare areas touched. Pretty light honestly. You may not get your way when you stay polite, but sometimes you'll get a break because they know you're not an idiot like the other travelers.
I went thorough something similar in ORD earlier this week. The glove testing request was refused. My response was that I was doing everything I could to prevent a similar incident as what Shelby Walser had to endure. ( the young, wheel chair bound girl with brittle bone disease traveling for medical treatment). Learn her name. She is my hero. Gloves were tested immediately and my grope was marginal. You really should have gone to a level above the back patter. Never fume inside. Insist on being treated appropriately. I am always polite but I wouldn't tolerate sloppy testing. Especially when I am the one at the receiving end of a resolution grope.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by DAL4550
I went thorough something similar in ORD earlier this week. The glove testing request was refused. My response was that I was doing everything I could to prevent a similar incident as what Shelby Walser had to endure. ( the young, wheel chair bound girl with brittle bone disease traveling for medical treatment). Learn her name. She is my hero. Gloves were tested immediately and my grope was marginal. You really should have gone to a level above the back patter. Never fume inside. Insist on being treated appropriately. I am always polite but I wouldn't tolerate sloppy testing. Especially when I am the one at the receiving end of a resolution grope.
Well like I said at the end of the day, the back pat equals a wink to me...like don't worry, we know you know, but just deal with it and we'll go easy on you. I was fine with that. I had actually never asked for a glove test before, so it is what it is. Did your "supervisor" say the same thing about the public or did they not even mention it?

Best part about flying Southwest at FLL...metal detectors only! Can't wait for Wednesday!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:44 am

On principle I always opt out. As for the pat downs, glad I'm female.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by aerodrome
As for the pat downs, glad I'm female.
Why? Females may in fact have it worse, although I suspect that statistically males may travel more in the US (or are at least more vocal online, while women may be more embarassed to share their experiences, or to stand up for themselves) There is a theory that women travelling alone also present a path of less resistance for TSOs and are thus more likely to undergo poor treatment.

See the post upthread about the woman wearing the maxi pad. More women wear skirts than men; more women wear underwire bras than men; more women wear external sanitary protection than men.

And some of my worst encounters with TSA over the years have been with female clerks or supervisors.

There are very few times in life when I have any regret about my gender, but when it comes to flying in America I do think that the men may have it slightly better than the women.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
There are very few times in life when I have any regret about my gender, but when it comes to flying in America I do think that the men may have it slightly better than the women.
Mrs. Fredd and I undergo our invasive searches publicly, usually a few feet apart from each other. FWIW while neither of us would presume to speak for all males or females, her innate modesty definitely makes it more of an ordeal for her than it is for me.

That may be individual, generational, or cultural, but it's one of a number of factors reducing our flying.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL, WN, US, Avis, AA
Originally Posted by DAL4550
My response was that I was doing everything I could to prevent a similar incident as what Shelby Walser had to endure. ( the young, wheel chair bound girl with brittle bone disease traveling for medical treatment). Learn her name. She is my hero.
Next time TSA wants to play the name game with me I think my reply will be "Shelby Walser." How would TSA react if the entire FT community began to respond that way when asked to state our names?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by KDS
I've been trying this at EWR lately, but it appears there is another, super-secret procedure not well known to us frequent travelers.

Each time I've tried this, I was right at the entrance to the X-ray machine for carryon bags, and as I was putting my things onto the conveyor belt, I told the TSO standing right there "on guard" that I would be opting out and to please call for the "assist" person now rather than wait. Each time, I was ignored by the TSO -- studiously.

When I repeated my statement in a louder voice, the TSO looked at me then turned away again. Again, no call for "assist" person.

Mind you, each time I tried this, the long lines at security were really bad... I'd already been standing in line for 25 minutes.

Finally, I made a sarcastic comment about how we sure don't want to help speed up the already slow, inefficient, government-sponsored process any more, I guess -- then the TSO looked at me and said, "I cannot call for anyone until you're right at the gate." I said, "I am at the gate." He said, "Not yet; you're still putting your things into the X-ray machine."

Only the government can propogate such stupidity and call it a deterrent.
Sounds like the screener may be setting up a precursor to theft of your carry-ons.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
No one should treated like this. Abused simply because they are female. The burden should be on TSA here, NOT on the passengers.
^

The problem is of course that the TSA insists on employing the wrong methods because they completely lack any understanding of Science. As long as they insist on using imaging technology, they will continue to harass maxipad wearers.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop
^

The problem is of course that the TSA insists on employing the wrong methods because they completely lack any understanding of Science. As long as they insist on using imaging technology, they will continue to harass maxipad wearers.
For the rank and file, absolutely. But I think those at the top must know the limitations of the machines. If this is all for show, or mostly for show, just alter the script a bit so women are not humiliated like this for this reason. They've already altered the script for children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.