Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
You very may well end up walking right towards the scanner. The lanes are set up to funnel you there. In the short pause, or long wait before you actually go into the box, well, don't go in. That's your cue to say your line.

'Opt out.'
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by cottonmather0
This is the SOP. It will be placed on a table in front of you while you're patted down.
The last time I went through BOS, they left my stuff at the end of the Xray belt and had me face the belt when they did the grope. Other bags were piling up on my stuff and a TSO came over to move it (in the middle of my pat down), at which point, my laptop got dropped. No noticeable damage to the laptop at the time, but it has since developed a crack along the impact point.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: AADULtArer
2. I hear that the TSOs steal things while the items go thru the x-ray/scanner machine. What can I do to prevent this?
Fellow passengers are much more likely to steal stuff than TSO, despite the shrill claims made here on FT.

Airport theft at checkin, security, halls, and gate is common both domestic and abroad, mostly via pickpockets and diversions.

One group at ORD stole laptops from bins before they went through scanners with an accomplice holding up screening to give minutes of getaway time, for example.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Fellow passengers are much more likely to steal stuff than TSO, despite the shrill claims made here on FT.

Airport theft at checkin, security, halls, and gate is common both domestic and abroad, mostly via pickpockets and diversions.

One group at ORD stole laptops from bins before they went through scanners with an accomplice holding up screening to give minutes of getaway time, for example.
I'm not disputing the odds, but isn't that beside the point? Molestations at the doctor's office may be rare, but when it occurs the perp is usually especially hammered for it because of the position of trust that was violated and the particular vulnerability in this situation on the part of the victim. So it's a lot worse if the TSA does it, no? And your odds of that happening evidently increases at certain airports.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
That's a good reason to make sure that your stuff is well into the X-ray before moving through the WTMD/opting out. Pax behind you will just have to wait.

Mike
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Happened to someone I know at RNO this past week. Just before the xray, someone cuts in front of you. The guy from behind is impatient and pushy and while you're distracted with the pusher and/or cutter, one or the other is emptying your bin. In this case, a laptop.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:19 pm

Even if another passenger did steal my things at the checkpoint, it's still the TSA's fault. The TSA separated me from my valuables intentionally, and then followed up mistake 1 with mistake 2, failing to protect my valuables from theft. Yes, all checkpoint theft, all of it, is the TSA's responsibility. Stop treating our belongings as expendable. I don't let my valuables out of my sight, except when barked commands from blue shirts force such a stupid move.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:08 pm

I prefer to leave my liquids and laptop in my bag. This usually triggers a bag check which means they won't let the bag sit at the end of the belt and makes a groper magically appear. I love magic!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
Happened to someone I know at RNO this past week. Just before the xray, someone cuts in front of you. The guy from behind is impatient and pushy and while you're distracted with the pusher and/or cutter, one or the other is emptying your bin. In this case, a laptop.
Did that happen at the A or B gates? I've been through B (wtmd only side afaik) recently at RNO and its a pretty small, quick checkpoint. It'd be pretty hard to lose sight of your belongings there... but if it can happen there, that kind of thing can happen anywhere. Just goes to show you that you have to be on your guard while going through security all of the time. I think that many people are in what I like to call 'vacation mode' and don't have a care in the world, or are just plain inexperienced at traveling and don't pay attention to these types of things. So professional thieves (whether they are passengers or TSA employees) can take advantage of that.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:16 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Sure, the lock can be defeated, and the zipper of the bag can be opened, by some simple tools, but those tools are mostly prohibited, so nobody at the checkpoint will have any of them.
You think so?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:09 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WillCAD
You might also consider, once you arrive at JFK, packing your coat into your checked bag before you check it. You'll get it back when you land at CDG, but it will be one less big, bulky item to deal with at security, in the terminal, and on the plane itself. Again, this will require some pre-planning - you'll have to pack that checked bag in such a manner that you can easily open it, stuff your coat in, and re-close it, all without the contents spilling out on the floor. But it's doable and makes a difference through the rest of your flying experience.
This is a good idea unless the airline "misplaces" your checked bag and it doesn't arrive with you. Then you'll be without a coat!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Let the TSA know about being unable to raise my left arm yesterday at ORD. Sent me through WTMD and took me to patdown area. Began to describe patdown and I asked why I was receiving the patdown - was told I opted out.

Said I absolutely did not and then was told I would simply receive an upper body patdown. I had several liquid items above the limit and didn't want to risk getting them tossed or having to check so I just said OK and went on my way.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Name game in full effect at SFO this evening. Was caught off guard when she asked for my name and replied "Michael." I woke up when she asked for my last name and told her it was Ahmadinejad but spelled K-A-D-E.

She let me pass.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Just opted out at SFO minutes ago (which uses contractors working for TSA). I "opt out" there about 4 times/month.

They pushed my items through after I said I want to opt out and I want to be able to see my belongings.

They said it will be several minutes for an "opt out." I asked them to call over a supervisor as my belongings were now through the belt---and the belt didn't stop and my stuff was falling off the belt at the other end!

While I was waiting beside the "nude-o-scope" to be hand-scanned the woman behind me said in a loud, ***** voice "I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SECURITY! I THINK YOU A GREAT JOB" and proudly exposed herself for the nude-o-scope. (I hope my tax dollars don't pay for her cancer care in a few years.)

The three-striper came over, gave me a pat down and apologized for my items falling of the end of the belt and on to the floor.

I thanked him for not stealing my iPad and went on my way.

Last edited by reamworks; Dec 8, 2012 at 8:24 am
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by cbn42
You think so?
Well, it's not impossible, but of course, the odds that a sneak thief will carry a screwdriver or ice pick or bolt cutters to an airport c/p in their pocket and use it to open your locked carry-on between the time you leave it on the belt and the time it's brought to the penalty box where you receive your opt-out grope - in a crowded c/p full of clueless apathetic TSOs and other travelers - are pretty slim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.