Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: SouthwestRR, HawaiianMiles, AAdvantage
Unless you were referring to him as a "welfare to work lackey", I have no idea if you were displaying an offensive attitude. I would assume you were not.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by knotyeagle:19997687
So as I was leaving the checkpoint at FLL terminal 1 concourse B, what exact "offensive attitude" did I convey when I took this photo of a TSA screener who promptly told me to come back and enter the sterile area thru the exit?
Don't leave us hanging! What happened?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:27 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Lucked out this evening at LAX T5. Was getting ready to Opt Out when 3 Airport Employees cut in line. I got waved through the WTMD right behind them.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by GrinAndBearIt
A direct confrontation of the agent who sighed loudly, rolled his eyes, and asked if I really wanted a full body pat-down at LAS did not seem like it would be productive in this case. He was just ignorant and immature; he kind of reminded me of a bratty teenager (do not ask me how I know this). The supervisor actually seemed irked about it when informed.
Wonder if we had the same person...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 9:53 pm

Fudge - had no choice but to do a nudy screening if I wanted to make a connection since the weather delayed us on the way in - this was airport running kind of time. I knew I couldn't deal with TSA bs if I didn't want stuck overnight.

I smiled a little as I laced my fingers together in a way that flipped off the TSA as I was scanned. I hate them.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by KM123
Fudge - had no choice but to do a nudy screening if I wanted to make a connection since the weather delayed us on the way in - this was airport running kind of time. I knew I couldn't deal with TSA bs if I didn't want stuck overnight.
That happened to me once last year when there was a snafu with my reservation and some checked luggage and I ended up standing at the ticket counter for nearly an hour. Wife and kids were already on the plane, I was rushing through security and didn't have a choice to stand around for 15 minutes to get patted down. I felt so dirty and guilty having to do it.

And then I had to sit in a window seat for 5 hours.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
That happened to me once last year when there was a snafu with my reservation and some checked luggage and I ended up standing at the ticket counter for nearly an hour. Wife and kids were already on the plane, I was rushing through security and didn't have a choice to stand around for 15 minutes to get patted down. I felt so dirty and guilty having to do it.

And then I had to sit in a window seat for 5 hours.
I'm sorry to hear that. Nay to window seats!!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by aerodrome
I'm sorry to hear that. Nay to window seats!!
Ha. That should read "middle seat."

A cramped window would have been much better on that flight.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 7:31 pm

Did you flip them off too?? (you put your hands above your head and lace them together in an accident way that might have a middle finger outstretched from the other hand).

Middle seats are awful. I hope you at least got to lay your head on your wife in the better seat to sleep a little.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by KM123
Did you flip them off too?? (you put your hands above your head and lace them together in an accident way that might have a middle finger outstretched from the other hand).

Middle seats are awful. I hope you at least got to lay your head on your wife in the better seat to sleep a little.
Oh no. My wife and kids were safely ensconced in their row of E+ bulkhead seats that had been reserved all along. I was supposed to be across the aisle from them, but, due to the luggage snafu that morning, lost my original seat and got bumped back to my middle seat somewhere after row 30.

That said, that was January 2nd of last year and the first of 48 segments in 2012. Every one after that was much better.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:03 am

On Thursday, I opted out at IAD, where backscatter was in full-force. Pat-down "officer" arrived immediately and started joking. I couldn't hear what the joke was, but I wasn't in a joking mood. I stood stone-faced and followed his instructions.

"Do you have any sensitive areas?"

"No."

"Really? No sensitive areas?" He began smiling.

I eyeballed him with a you-gotta-be-kidding-me look on my face.

"I'm just trying to get you to smile!"

"I don't think this process is much to smile about. I prefer to get things done as professionally and easily as possible."

The grope was the most thorough I've gotten in recent memory, with three brushes or chops to my testicles. Yes, I got the "resistance" speech.

At FLL yesterday, C terminal, the line was much too long. It took over 30 minutes to get to the ID checker. And no wonder -- almost everyone was being funneled into the cancer boxes. No one was opting out.

When my turn came, I informed the "officer" I would be opting out. He called for the male assist, and then I stood next to the metal detector so I could see my belongings. After waiting a few minutes, the aforementioned "officer" told me to stand about three steps to my right. I moved, but then I couldn't see my stuff, so, taking a page from the InkUnderNails playbook, I moved right back where I needed to be, saying, "I need to stand right here." I didn't get any pushback other than a from him.

I continued waiting. And waiting. And waiting. A woman took over and kept calling for the male assist. Finally, she hollered for someone to come over, saying, "He's been waiting a long time! That bag check will have to wait!" (Wow! Someone who cares about customer service. I almost thanked her, but thanking a TS"O" is next to impossible for me.) My groper arrived and patted me down thoroughly, but with no contact to my genitals.

Almost 45 minutes after entering the line , I was off to my gate.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by MrColdShower

Almost 45 minutes after entering the line , I was off to my gate.
I hope you filed a complaint.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
I hope you filed a complaint.
Absolutely.

BTW, the ID checker --who eventually performed my patdown -- was blaming the slow-moving line on the passengers for not removing their liquids. He kept barking things like, "The line will move much faster if you just take out your liquids!" Of course, the scanners had nothing to do with slowing down the line.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:59 am

Patdowns as of late have all be cursory at best, the last patdown the agent just sort of tapped at my pant legs, my sleeves and said have a nice day.

No complaints here if they all are that cursory,
Dan
Old Jan 23, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Let the screener at ATL F know that I couldn't raise my left arm for the machine. She sent me through WTMD and while I was putting back on my coat I raised my left arm for a half second to put it on and she came over to yell at me that "What you just did was exactly the pose for the machine! We are WATCHING you ALL THE WAY through security." She wouldn't even let me speak and just walked away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.