Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:57 pm

I probably missed something along the way in this thread. But why do people feel they have to tell TSA they have something wrong with their shoulder in order not to go through the nude-o-scope?

Why don't you just say "I can't go through there." (which is what I do) They then do the feel-up. It's never a problem. Why do the shoulder excuse?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal
I probably missed something along the way in this thread. But why do people feel they have to tell TSA they have something wrong with their shoulder in order not to go through the nude-o-scope?

Why don't you just say "I can't go through there." (which is what I do) They then do the feel-up. It's never a problem. Why do the shoulder excuse?
The logic is that by stating you can't assume the position due to a shoulder injury, you are medically ineligible to be scanned, and therefore should be allowed to use the WTMD (per TSA SOP, or at least so we've been told). The alternative - saying "I can't go through there" without framing it in a medical context, makes you an opt-out and triggers the grope.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Critic
The logic is that by stating you can't assume the position due to a shoulder injury, you are medically ineligible to be scanned, and therefore should be allowed to use the WTMD (per TSA SOP, or at least so we've been told). The alternative - saying "I can't go through there" without framing it in a medical context, makes you an opt-out and triggers the grope.

I'd rather go for the grope, because even though its uncomfortable, it makes the TSA look bad to be groping a teenage boy.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:20 am

Has anyone had success of going through the WTMD with a medical opt-out at IAH, DEN or BOS because I haven't. None of them will even acknowledge that such a thing exists.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Has anyone had success of going through the WTMD with a medical opt-out at IAH, DEN or BOS because I haven't. None of them will even acknowledge that such a thing exists.
I have a shoulder injury (happened over 2 years ago, physical therapy alone was only so successful, surgery helped somewhat but it is uncomfortable to raise my arm to the height that the body scanner requires) and prior to PREcheck I have gone through IAH on many occasions without issue by explaining that I am unable to raise my arm and each time I was allowed to use the metal detector.

One time the agent asked where I had my surgery done and I explained that I had not had surgery (at the time) but added that I was considering Methodist Hospital (a local Houston Hospital and ranked #:1 in Texas) for the surgery. He smiled and said that his wife worked there as a nurse and that was a good choice. He was so happy at this point that he started telling his colleagues how famous Methodist Hospital was if patients from outside of Houston where thinking of having their surgeries there.

Truth be told I had no intention of having the surgery in Houston, but I figured it was local and their might be a chance that the TSA Employee would recognize the name and hopefully put up less resistance and in that vein it worked flawlessly.

Dan

Last edited by dan1431; Feb 5, 2013 at 7:41 am
Old Feb 5, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ND Sol
I have had success is BOS. The NOS dragon called for an opt out, as we were waiting, the TSO on the land side asked if I had a medical condition, to which I affirmed. When the male assist arrived, the land side TSO made a gesture to the male assist, and I was directed through the WTMD. Male assist was talking to the NOS dragon as I passed through, I gathered my belongings and proceeded without incident.

The male assist also happened to be the same one who once had to inform me that my zipper was down, after doing the "back of the hand" swipe of my front side, so maybe he didn't want to chance it again.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FearFree

The male assist also happened to be the same one who once had to inform me that my zipper was down, after doing the "back of the hand" swipe of my front side, so maybe he didn't want to chance it again.
You totally owe me a new iPad. The visual overpowered the need to swallow my Coke.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Went through International TSA this morning at ATL. This has previously been one of the quickest and friendliest TSA checkpoints, however, the last two times have been quite disastrous.

When I was approaching the NoS I said to the TSA agent "I can't raise my left arm, is that ok?" and she told me it was not and I would have to undergo a pat down. I let her know that previously I was told I could either go through with the left arm down or go through the metal detector and if I didn't alarm I was free to go. She did not allow it. I asked for a supervisor and received the same response. Three striper, same response. He included that the procedure had changed three weeks ago and this was the new SOP. I told him I just went through JFK and didn't have to do the pat down to which he replied "I'll tell you straight up they weren't following policy."

They lead me to the grope area and I asked for the TSA agent to change his gloves. He complied although clearly annoyed. Gave me the spiel, "any sensitive areas?" "Yes, my penis and testicles." At this point he called the three striper back and asked him to stand there for the duration of the pat down.

Patted me down, and supposedly I alarmed (though I never saw the screen). I asked for him to get a new pair, test the gloves, and then pat me down again. He refused. Three striper refused. Three stripers boss refused. I asked to have the resolution pat down in public, was refused. Was told that I would not be able to fly if I did not comply. "No problem, my work will be upset but I don't really want to go anyway." TSA Three Striper replied "Well I can call them and let them know why you can't come." Again, informed me I would have to have a private screening. I asked for a LEO Witness to accompany me into the private room and TSA complied.

Once in the room, I asked before they began the pat down to test the gloves prior to groping me. He refused. They then took my boarding pass and copied down the information on what appeared to be an "official" "Resolution Pat Down" form. I asked them prior to doing so if I was required to do this. They indicated I was.

"Any sensitive areas?" he asked. "Penis and testicles" I replied. He then said "Well I WILL be touching those areas." Asked me to face the wall, I declined as I would not be able to see my belongings. He then moved so I could stand where he was standing and see my valuables. He described in detail what he was going to do and then in the course of the pat down ran the FRONT of his hand along my penis three times. I cleared this time. (Was able to see the screen to ensure it - I personally believe I cleared the first time too but didn't look at the screen.) I walked back by after the retaliatory resolution grope but it was already on the ready screen.

This is the furthest I've ever gone with TSA. Previously I've always gone through WTMD and I have NEVER alarmed. Any suggestions on what I could have done differently?

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:32 am

Seeing as there has been a batch of blue gloves at some checkpoints that were testing positive for (allegedly) explosive residue straight out of the box, I would have insisted upon pre-testing the gloves. Unbelievable that their failures should lead to such a "resolution".
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:55 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Went through International TSA this morning at ATL. This has previously been one of the quickest and friendliest TSA checkpoints, however, the last two times have been quite disastrous.

This is the furthest I've ever gone with TSA. Previously I've always gone through WTMD and I have NEVER alarmed. Any suggestions on what I could have done differently?

Thanks!
Your story is almost word-for-word the experience I had at FNT in October 2011, shortly aftere NOSs were installed. At that time, I felt that the ETD test was rigged to show "positive" because I was not being compliant and also used medically correct anatomical terms, and the supervisor who conducted that resolution patdown was just too eager to want to have his hands on me.

I'd have done just as you did in your situation. I despise the TSA and the politicians who've sold us out.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:04 am

Yikes is all I have to say!

To date I have never experienced anything like that, although (as I am starting to say a lot), nothing TSA surprises me anymore.

Dan
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:11 am

@MichaelKade:

You should have refused to be sexually assaulted and left the airport. I hope you file a complaint against the three striper who treated you as a child: I'll call your mommy and tell her you've been bad.

I wonder if there are quotas for resolution patdowns.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
@MichaelKade:

You should have refused to be sexually assaulted and left the airport. I hope you file a complaint against the three striper who treated you as a child: I'll call your mommy and tell her you've been bad.

I wonder if there are quotas for resolution patdowns.
I honestly regret not doing so now. During my 5 hour flight my emotions have ranged from anger to disgust to a feeling of being absolutely violated. I'm sickened by what happened.

I will ask for gloves to be tested pre pat down but do they have to Comply? They didn't in this case for the resolution pat down.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
I asked for a LEO Witness to accompany me into the private room and TSA complied.
just curious if the LEO had any interaction (verbal or non-verbal) during the performance, or if he just sat quietly texting in the background.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
just curious if the LEO had any interaction (verbal or non-verbal) during the performance, or if he just sat quietly texting in the background.
He said/did nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.