Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mulieri
I usually use a different prefix to "____ you" and it doesn't start with at 't'.
That particular response could be construed as "protest speech," I think.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Fredd
At IAD a couple of days ago after we both opted out they sent Mrs. Fredd through the little gate to the side but me through the WTMD.
Had a failed SDOO at IAD yesterday, so I had to opt out. They made me wait by the little gate to the side, while a male TSO was summoned to pat me down. It took them 5 mins to find a guy, while my belongings remained just out of sight on the belt, due to the slanted configuration of the x-ray there. Everything was locked, but my laptop was on a tray - quite unnerving.

At least, the pat down was conducted in a quick and professional manner. On a side note, the 3-1-1 rule was in full enforcement, with bags and ziplocs scanned 2 or 3 times until they were satisfied with compliance. Which slowed down everything.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Havn't taken Nude-o-scope once, opted out for "free massage"

So far so good, no problems

Considering that I was groped by a FAT guy!

I hope they stop this insanity

Last edited by SiberianTiger; Jul 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm Reason: MOre
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by CavePearl
Just opted out at HOU. I was chastised by my groper for not saying "thank you." Thank you for violating my constitutional rights? I think not.
Only with the permission of the victim can we lose our rights.
They cannot be taken away, they can only be surrendered.
The day we say 'thanks for the violation" we become slaves to thugs.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Darkumbra
Amen!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, IHG Status-of-the-Day, Avis First. **Freedom fighter: One grope at a time.**
Originally Posted by Darkumbra
My thoughts exactly. My response to the groper was that she should be thankful that I didn't say what I really wanted to say. She just mumbled something under her breath and walked away.

Any other day I probably would have enjoyed her challenge. Today wasn't the day.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:36 am
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
To whoever Opted Out in front of me at SMF Terminal A this morning...my sincerest apologies.

But thanks to you I got to go through the WTMD today. I may have been able to anyways, but your opt out made it no question.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
MCO

Went through trusted traveler (Orlando's version of elite line in terminal B) line this morning. The lane I chose after the boarding pass checkpoint ended at a cancer machine, so I opted out.

While waiting in line, another woman opted out quite a bit earlier and had to wait about 5 minutes for a female groper. She was still being groped when I opted out. The agent holding me yelled for an assist multiple times so, the groper had to have heard the call. Instead of coming over for me when she finished with the other lady, she walked around and made me wait 5 minutes. The grope was lightly done but thorough.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by linsj
Went through trusted traveler (Orlando's version of elite line in terminal B) line this morning. The lane I chose after the boarding pass checkpoint ended at a cancer machine, so I opted out.

While waiting in line, another woman opted out quite a bit earlier and had to wait about 5 minutes for a female groper. She was still being groped when I opted out. The agent holding me yelled for an assist multiple times so, the groper had to have heard the call. Instead of coming over for me when she finished with the other lady, she walked around and made me wait 5 minutes. The grope was lightly done but thorough.
It's been pretty well established that they make you wait as an unofficial punishment for not playing along.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cottonmather0
It's been pretty well established that they make you wait as an unofficial punishment for not playing along.
Only because nobody's leaked the memo yet.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:03 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Was able to Opt Out in LAS without the patdown with the rotator cuff excuse. No issues whatsoever.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by PWMRamper
Was able to Opt Out in LAS without the patdown with the rotator cuff excuse. No issues whatsoever.
Congrats ^What is "rotator cuff excuse"?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by SiberianTiger
Congrats ^What is "rotator cuff excuse"?
A rotator cuff tear is a very painful injury of the shoulder that makes it impossible to raise one's arms in the "surrender" pose (required to be scanned).
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:52 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Yep, I just said I could not hold my arms up due to a sore (note, I didn't even say injured) rotator cuff.

Gentleman immediately opened up the WTMD and waved me through.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by linsj

How did you end up in a BKSX lane in MCO? MCO is usually an extremely easy SDOO. I've never been anywhere near one at that airport. If you're going to gates 60-129, go through the middle-right side Black Diamond "Expert Traveler" lane. Usually there's no line for it, and it takes you right into a WTMD-only line. Only the four outermost lanes have BKSX (as of late March 2012), and probably 10-12 lanes in the center have WTMD only. And, given how busy the airport is, they have to run pretty much every lane all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.