Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:55 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chollie
I usually avoid the experience at PHX T2. I am physically incapable of assuming and holding the NoS position - when I explain this when I get directed to the NoS, I always get told that makes me an 'opt-out'. That means I have to struggle to keep sight of my bags while waiting for a grope and swab.

I was hurried and stressed and distracted at PHX T2. I have learned to avoid this experience somewhat. When I'm directed to the NoS, I don't argue, I just go and stand in place. When I'm directed to assume the position, then I explain that I'm unable to do so. There's always a TSO on the other side of the NoS ready to resolve any anomalies. In my case, because I can't assume the position, there's no scan - my entire body is an anomaly and I get a full grope.

The difference between the two approaches? If I explain ahead of time that I am unable to assume the position, I struggle to see my bags, I have to wait (sometimes, not always, for up to 10 minutes) for my grope, and I always get swabbed (another slight delay). Sometimes I even get a gratuitous bag search.

If I do not explain ahead of time that I'm unable to assume the position, and I wait until I'm in the NoS, I get an immediate grope, better chances of keeping an eye on my bags, no swab, and, to date, no extra bag check.

I too wait until I'm directed into it, then say I have a rotator cuff injury and can't assume the position. To date I have been directed through the WTMD each and every time, at 6 different airports (PWM, MSP, LAS, SMF, DCA, and BOS).
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
I too wait until I'm directed into it, then say I have a rotator cuff injury and can't assume the position. To date I have been directed through the WTMD each and every time, at 6 different airports (PWM, MSP, LAS, SMF, DCA, and BOS).
My shulder hurts!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
Too specific. It's "I am unable to raise my right arm."
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:46 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Talking

SDOO worked this morning at PVD! First time I've pulled that off.

They were letting people through the metal detector when the NoS got backed up. There were only 1 or 2 people in line for the NoS when I walked up, but I just went over to the WTMD. Got waved through. Piece of cake.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: US, UA, Marriott, SPG, HH Silver
Originally Posted by chollie
I usually avoid the experience at PHX T2. I am physically incapable of assuming and holding the NoS position - when I explain this when I get directed to the NoS, I always get told that makes me an 'opt-out'. That means I have to struggle to keep sight of my bags while waiting for a grope and swab.
I opted out twice at T2, leftmost lane. I was once told to go wait away from the line (they said all the way back to what I think was the table for another bag x-ray), but I just moved out of the way and when they told me again I said "I need to have my bags in sight" and they didn't challenge me. A week later I just moved to where I was the week before and the lady even moved slightly so she was not blocking my view of my bags. The first time I did have to wait 10 mins or so, and since they couldn't move my stuff it did clog the exit side of the machine for a while (2 trays, a backpack and a computer bag).

Since I was expecting them to delay me on purpose, I did put a lock on my backpack since I was sending my passport inside a vest that was inside the bag, and the next time I traveled, I did not send my passport thru the bag x-ray (used that as ID), and when the massage guy asked me what I was holding, I simply said "Passport and immigration documents" and they didn't challenge any further other than they told me to put them on the table.

Were you trying to use the middle or rightmost machine? I have never used those before so maybe the layout is slightly different.

On an interesting note, when I was coming back from GRR I found out that they had installed backscatter machines (my friend said last time he flew out of GRR they were WTMDs only) and I decided to receive a few milisieverts because I was running late (made it to the gate with 2 minutes to spare, only to find out that we weren't boarding until 10 mins after the time specified on the BP), and the TSA person said do not remove your belts if that's going to cause your pants to fall off, so I didn't remove it, and it didn't register as an anomaly, not metallic, but it's a nylon tactical belt of significant size.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by felipegarcia
On an interesting note, when I was coming back from GRR I found out that they had installed backscatter machines (my friend said last time he flew out of GRR they were WTMDs only)
GRR has had the backscatter machines for over two years now. I fly AA, so I've only flown out of terminal B, which has one machine. It's always been roped off when I've gone through, but that's mostly been for early morning flights.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Clerk: He has a medical issue, and says that he is allowed to go through the WTMD?

Three Striper: That is correct. If he is ineligible, then let him through the WTMD. He'll only get a pat-down if he alarms.
In DEN yesterday, this was not the case. Said I had a medical issue, was sent through the WTMD, did not alarm, but was still subjected to the full grope and swab. Even though I questioned the TSO several times about the need for the full-on due to medical, there was no difference.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
GRR has had the backscatter machines for over two years now. I fly AA, so I've only flown out of terminal B, which has one machine. It's always been roped off when I've gone through, but that's mostly been for early morning flights.
I believe I flew out of A (United Express), checkpoint on the left. It was an 8AM flight, and there were several flights leaving at that time, but they still had the AIT in use. What I hated the most was the extra line to take my checked bag through the scanner.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by felipegarcia
I believe I flew out of A (United Express), checkpoint on the left. It was an 8AM flight, and there were several flights leaving at that time, but they still had the AIT in use. What I hated the most was the extra line to take my checked bag through the scanner.
You were flying out of terminal A, which is also the terminal AA uses. A few airports have the setup with the x-ray machines outside. The issue at GRR is that there wasn't enough space to put the large machines behind the scenes. The only advantage is that you can watch the bag "clear" before you leave.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
You were flying out of terminal A, which is also the terminal AA uses. A few airports have the setup with the x-ray machines outside. The issue at GRR is that there wasn't enough space to put the large machines behind the scenes. The only advantage is that you can watch the bag "clear" before you leave.
Yeah, I figured those machines were probably added once the airport was built. I only saw that kind of setup when I flew out of SAN back in 2002, but I have no idea if that remains or not, as I haven't flown out of there ever since. I didn't have to wait in line there, just waited until the guy was prepared for the scanner, but as I walked away, a line was starting to form there.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
ATL international yesterday. Guy was very "by the book" in his description of what he was about to do. That should have been more of a flag than it was.

By far the most invasive procedure I have ever experienced. "Any sensitive areas?" I will now respond with "my (insert correct term for male anatomy here)."

Any luck with this approach?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ND Sol
In DEN yesterday, this was not the case. Said I had a medical issue, was sent through the WTMD, did not alarm, but was still subjected to the full grope and swab. Even though I questioned the TSO several times about the need for the full-on due to medical, there was no difference.
Does not surprise me one bit.. The medical clerks in DEN know everything!

When I first tried the shoulder trick, it was in DEN at 9pm on a Sunday night. Asked a three-striper after the TDC if they still opened the WTMD for people who couldn't raise arms, and he confirmed.

At the WTMD, the clerk pointed me to the MMW. Told him that it was medical, and he responded that it was an opt-out. I told him no, and pointed to the three-striper that confirmed it was not an opt-out. He paused for a few moments, and then squeezed out of the way for my to use the WTMD.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
ATL international yesterday. Guy was very "by the book" in his description of what he was about to do. That should have been more of a flag than it was.

By far the most invasive procedure I have ever experienced. "Any sensitive areas?" I will now respond with "my (insert correct term for male anatomy here)."

It may guarantee you extra attention to the 'sensitive' area, since bad guys would use that excuse to avoid having something evil discovered during a patdown.

If the 'underwear bomber' had been thoroughly groped in his 'sensitive' area, there might be less excuse for what goes on at the checkpoint.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:02 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by MichaelKade

Most TSOs get upset when I do this; it's obvious they do not want to be reminded of what they are doing. I've had two of them call a supervisor and accuse me of using demeaning and derogatory language! I even caused one TSO to walk away and refuse to do the patdown. TSA had to find another TSO to do it.

But, it's never stopped a patdown. But there are times when I think the TSO "held back" a bit when doing the patdown. But, I don't depend upon this approach for a lighter touch.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by KDS
Most TSOs get upset when I do this; it's obvious they do not want to be reminded of what they are doing. I've had two of them call a supervisor and accuse me of using demeaning and derogatory language! I even caused one TSO to walk away and refuse to do the patdown. TSA had to find another TSO to do it.
I wonder how will they react if I say that followed by a pause and then "a blowjob went horribly wrong"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.