Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:33 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Opted out at EWR (Delta terminal checkpoint). Had to wait 5 minutes for them to find a male TSO (they had three TSOs standing out by TDCs doing nothing, but I guess that was a super secret operation that had to continue). While in patdown "mode", observed that about 85% or more of MMW pax were still having to be patted down. That's a great use of resources.

Forgot to say: For second time, EWR TSO said he had to pat down my boarding pass that I was holding in my hand during the patdown. This stupidity appears to be spreading.

Long lines, but TSA couldn't stop its "secret" operation by the TDCs to open a line. Felt sorry for those waiting in line, what with MMW patdowns as well as long waits.

Even saw an airline pilot have to get a full patdown. When I said something to him about that being "bad", he said, "every day!".

What a bunch of nonsense.

Last edited by KDS; Jul 27, 2012 at 8:16 am Reason: Added info about boarding pass patdown
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:05 pm

Managed to SDOO by flying out of airports/terminals that are WTMD only on this trip. Although the TDC at T3 in PHX took her sweet time checking my ID today. The guy next to her cleared three others in the same time.

While waiting for my connection here at ORD abut an hour ago I walked from the K concourse over to the neon tunnel between B and C and back to snap a couple quick pics. As I passed each checkpoint along the way I stopped and watched from a distance for a minute or two and scope and grope was in full operation. Only parents with young kids were being sent through the WTMD. I sadly only saw one confirmed opt out but probably a third to half the sheeple who went through the BSX got a groping anyways. I almost lost my lunch when I saw a little girl (maybe 4?) trying to stand on the penalty mat like her dad was during his groping.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Couldn't avoid the machines today at PIT and opted out. On a lark, I tried the medical excuse (I can't put my arms in the surrender position), but it still got me a patdown. Uneventful frisking (god help me, but I think I am becoming numb to them). Guy in front of me opted out, though I could not get close enough to talk to him.

Most interesting things were 1) still about 2/3 of the people going through the BSKX machines get patted down (not targeted, but kind of all over) and 2) several people coming through the WMTD were asked to self pat-down to show that they did not have anything in their pockets.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:03 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Nude-O-Scope Opt Out Stories [merged]

Did you actually say "Opt Out" or did you say you couldn't lift your arms?

If it was the former, I don't think they care about your reason...

If it was the latter and they still make you get a patdown, demand a supervisor.

On a related note, went through Terminal 1 Checkpoint 2 at MSP today. Rotator cuff excuse once again worked.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PWMRamper

If it was the latter and they still make you get a patdown, demand a supervisor.

On a related note, went through Terminal 1 Checkpoint 2 at MSP today. Rotator cuff excuse once again worked.
How much you wanna' bet that Blogdad Bob posts something about passengers lying about injuries? If he specifically mentions rotator cuff injuries, he would have to admit that he reads FT.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:47 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Nude-O-Scope Opt Out Stories [merged]

AFAIK, TSA is not legally allowed to ask about passenger's disabilities or injuries, so there's not really much they can do about it.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by KDS
Forgot to say: For second time, EWR TSO said he had to pat down my boarding pass that I was holding in my hand during the patdown. This stupidity appears to be spreading.
LOL! And the beat goes on...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
How much you wanna' bet that Blogdad Bob posts something about passengers lying about injuries? If he specifically mentions rotator cuff injuries, he would have to admit that he reads FT.

Blogger Bob openly admits he reads FT. In fact, he replied me once here on FT about signage.

~~ Irish
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by PWMRamper

If it was the latter and they still make you get a patdown, demand a supervisor
I said I could not assume the surrender position. She called it an opt out, but I never used the term. Is it documented (I know: ) that medical opt outs are not supposed to get the patdown? While I would be delighted if that were the case I would also be stunned if it were an actual policy. I've always assumed that the medical opt out leading to WMTD only was simply a YMMV situation.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
Blogger Bob openly admits he reads FT. In fact, he replied me once here on FT about signage.

~~ Irish
He hasn't posted here in almost two years. I'm not sure that he should be considered an "active" member.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jackonferry
Couldn't avoid the machines today at PIT and opted out. On a lark, I tried the medical excuse (I can't put my arms in the surrender position), but it still got me a patdown. Uneventful frisking (god help me, but I think I am becoming numb to them). Guy in front of me opted out, though I could not get close enough to talk to him.
One of the issues I encountered when recovering from a broken collarbone was that the arms height required by the BKSX "position" was a lot lower than for the MMW.

For instance, I was constantly being waved off at MMW checkpoints all over the country when I showed them how much a could lift my injured arm. When I was asked to show them at PIT for the BKSX, they said it was more than enough - that caught me off-guard and it was the only time I was irradiated.

I then realized that if I assumed the required MMW "position" used at other airports, my arms would be way above the BKSX machines at PIT (I'm tall). So, I stopped telling the TSA at PIT about my collarbone and just opt out right away (although today an SDOO worked out perfectly )
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
I then realized that if I assumed the required MMW "position" used at other airports, my arms would be way above the BKSX machines at PIT (I'm tall). So, I stopped telling the TSA at PIT about my collarbone and just opt out right away (although today an SDOO worked out perfectly )
We just missed each other! I had to opt-out at the main checkpoint using the elite lane. There was a moat dragon who tried to talk me out of opting out in no fewer than three ways. I tried to time things with the x-ray belt, but I was unsuccessful. I used a mobile boarding pass, and I got the Precheck triple beep. While I would be one of the lucky chosen ones at a Precheck airport, this means absolutely nothing at non-Precheck airports/lanes such as the current situation at PIT.

Hopefully Precheck is up and running by the end of the year at PIT since it's on the list of future Precheck airports.

Furthermore, I was able to get a picture of the lone backscatter machine with ATD in this post. PIT is the only airport where I have seen this style of Rapiscan machine, but with the exception of PIT I almost always fly out of airports which happen to have MMW.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Majuki
Furthermore, I was able to get a picture of the lone backscatter machine with ATD in this post. PIT is the only airport where I have seen this style of Rapiscan machine, but with the exception of PIT I almost always fly out of airports which happen to have MMW.
I just saw your other post. To be honest, I hadn't noticed the new machine. I guess as soon as I get in the elite lane, I start to work on my SDOO strategy and don't pay much attention to other details.

How was your opt out today? Do you also opt out of MMW machines at other airports? The only time I went through the BKSX at PIT - when my collarbone excuse failed - the agent apparently was able to see the titanium under my skin
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
How was your opt out today? Do you also opt out of MMW machines at other airports? The only time I went through the BKSX at PIT - when my collarbone excuse failed - the agent apparently was able to see the titanium under my skin
The opt-out today was one of the most cursory I ever got. Three was no waistband check, and the TSO was nowhere close to meeting resistance. I was through in only a few minutes with the opt-out.

I noticed the machine a month ago, but I am also trying to SDOO at the main checkpoint. I usually look from the ticketing level to view the options. The nice thing is that the elite lane allows you to dart over to the main lanes if necessary without being too obvious. As a general rule, I always opt-out of backscatter machines. I usually go through the MMW machines with ATD unless the TSOs are giving me attitude. Only once have I made it through unscathed with the Gumby software. I've had yellow boxes on bare skin, my hair, empty pockets, a flat part of my shirt but never a real object.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:35 pm

ATL F Intl to Domestic connections

No NoS operating this afternoon. Seems all the screeners were screening Pei Wei Asian Diner and the Varsity, so the checkpoint didn't have thousands to stand around.

Found it of interest that the barker still insisted passengers clear all pockets and remove all belts (bad habit). I have the bad habit of not listening and went thru the WTMD with wallet in pocket and belt on.

The screeners become zombies with such repetitive NoS barker spiels that they forget (or choose to ignore) the instructions when it comes to good old fashioned WTMDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.