Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
What posts speak to the best things to say/ask?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
LAX TBIT @ 5pm

My connecting flight got in early, but I had to go landside to transfer to TBIT. There were only about 10 people in line at the checkpoint, and almost everyone could SDOO by sticking to the left with an x-ray/WTMD only combo. To the right there was an open x-ray and backscatter/WTMD lane. My SDOO failed when the pileup for the WTMD-only lane caused the TDC to say, "Here... go to the right... there's no line." - I wonder why

Knowing that there was no way to avoid an opt-out at this point, I just tried to fumble with my stuff as long as possible, not revealing my opt-out for an long as possible. There was a couple right in front of me, and, to my surprise, both of them opted out! This unfortunately didn't save me though, and I had to say, "I'm opting out too." The TSO manning the backscatter was at a loss and just said, "Another one?!" in disbelief. I couldn't have been happier for the situation since I see so few people opting out these days. Additionally, while I'd like to give the people in line the benefit of the doubt for a SDOO, I think it's more of an artifact of where the line spills you out after the TDC.

The patdown was one of the most cursory I've gotten. I think the TSOs have largely stopped caring or have moved onto other more important matters like making sure everyone's Kippie bag is out, but I'll take it.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Majuki
LAX TBIT @ 5pm

My connecting flight got in early, but I had to go landside to transfer to TBIT. There were only about 10 people in line at the checkpoint, and almost everyone could SDOO by sticking to the left with an x-ray/WTMD only combo. To the right there was an open x-ray and backscatter/WTMD lane. My SDOO failed when the pileup for the WTMD-only lane caused the TDC to say, "Here... go to the right... there's no line." - I wonder why

Knowing that there was no way to avoid an opt-out at this point, I just tried to fumble with my stuff as long as possible, not revealing my opt-out for an long as possible. There was a couple right in front of me, and, to my surprise, both of them opted out! This unfortunately didn't save me though, and I had to say, "I'm opting out too." The TSO manning the backscatter was at a loss and just said, "Another one?!" in disbelief. I couldn't have been happier for the situation since I see so few people opting out these days. Additionally, while I'd like to give the people in line the benefit of the doubt for a SDOO, I think it's more of an artifact of where the line spills you out after the TDC.

The patdown was one of the most cursory I've gotten. I think the TSOs have largely stopped caring or have moved onto other more important matters like making sure everyone's Kippie bag is out, but I'll take it.
I wonder what would happen if you asked for a supervisor and a comment card and pointed out that the grope was really not up to par with ones you've gotten in the past and that, as a concerned citizen, when you 'see something', you 'say something'? In this case, you see that security isn't being taken seriously - maybe the groper didn't stick his hands in your waistband or around your collar.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by Majuki
My SDOO failed when the pileup for the WTMD-only lane caused the TDC to say, "Here... go to the right... there's no line."
Damn, I hate it when that happens. I really do.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
At DEN just tried the "can't raise arms, surgery" line - was walked through the WTMD with no fuss or muss and on my way. No patdown either.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bocastephen
At DEN just tried the "can't raise arms, surgery" line - was walked through the WTMD with no fuss or muss and on my way. No patdown either.
^

Tried it for the first time at RDU. Worked like a charm. Too bad the rest of the sheeple were marching right through the NoS
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:14 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
EWR must love massaging boarding passes

For the third time in a row, the TSO who was going to be my "male assist" insisted he had to pat down my boarding pass and ID, which I was holding in my hand. I'm convinced that the water that the TSA drinks at this airport is full of LSD or some other drug. Absolute stupidity.

Oh, and when I resisted his desire to pat down my BP and ID, his first words to me were "do you want to fly today?" I asked him to repeat what he said, and he happily did: "do you want to fly today?"

I then asked, "is that a threat?" His reply: "let me do my job."

I really despise the TSA in general, but EWR's TSA group is even more despicable.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
They look good behind bars -- where so many of them end up.

Bruce
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KDS
Oh, and when I resisted his desire to pat down my BP and ID, his first words to me were "do you want to fly today?" I asked him to repeat what he said, and he happily did: "do you want to fly today?"
Such a snappy line deserves a snappy comeback, e.g. "What I want or don't want is none of your business."
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:43 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Fredd
Such a snappy line deserves a snappy comeback, e.g. "What I want or don't want is none of your business."
You're right. I missed a good opportunity. My only excuse is that I wasn't awake yet!
^
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KDS
You're right. I missed a good opportunity. My only excuse is that I wasn't awake yet!
^
No excuse needed. I usually think of my best lines 30 minutes after whatever encounter occurred.

Maybe others have better responses. That "Do you wanna fly?" shtick must be in the training manual. It manages to be simultaneously infuriating and really really lame (as the young 'uns used to say).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by KDS
^
I always wondered what would be a good response by a businessman who HAS to fly.

TSO: "DYWFT"
Businessman: "No, not really. I've got this stupid meeting in Kansas City. But if I don't go, I'll get fired. DYWTGMF?"
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I usually say something like, "Well, I came to the airport for a reason, and it wasn't to see you."

Bruce
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by KDS
For the third time in a row, the TSO who was going to be my "male assist" insisted he had to pat down my boarding pass and ID, which I was holding in my hand. I'm convinced that the water that the TSA drinks at this airport is full of LSD or some other drug. Absolute stupidity.

I then asked, "is that a threat?" His reply: "let me do my job."

I really despise the TSA in general, but EWR's TSA group is even more despicable.
Patting down a boarding pass? What, pray tell, was he expecting to find? I know, I know...

Mike
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:54 pm

My last "Do you want to fly", I responded, actually no I do not, my boss wants me to rep our office at this meeting and I have zero interest in going, in fact, if you deny me the right to fly today, you will actually be doing me a favor as if you say I cannot fly, my boss cannot argue with Fed gov't.

The TSA employee looked so dumb founded that he just stood there for a minute speechless before trying to remember what he was supposed to be doing. I wish I had a camera as the look on this dudes face was priceless.

He than said, so you don't want to fly today, and I responded, nope. He did not say anything, just did what I would describe as the most cursory patdown ever, he just barely examined my sneakers and my hands and said I was free to go.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.