Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Superguy
Do you want what TSA's trying to implement? Asking permission every time you fly with the possibility of being denied based on information that may not even be correct? How would you feel if that happened to you? Would you be upset or would you think "gee, the government must have something on me that I don't know about, I must be a threat"?
My name is on the selectee list and that has happened to me. And no I'm not in favor of what the TSA is trying to do. My argument is with those who say checking ID can never make us safer. I say it can if it was done correctly. Unfortunately that is not happening now and isn't likely to any time soon.

It's called the court system. If they're that much of a threat, there should be sufficient evidence they've commited a crime for a jury to convict them. Until that happens, they're as free as any other citizen and innocent until proven guilty. After all, you'd want the same rights and courtesies afforded to you, right?
Read my other posts again. The examples I gave were those convicted of committing a crime.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Originally Posted by leandrorar
Does the US constitution applies to foreign individuals visiting the US?
Originally Posted by PTravel
Yes.
If I tell a TSO that I think their policies are pure BS or if I show them the middle finger, will I get arrested?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's why I said 'a la Nexus' - you scan your Iris at a console and pass a gate which gives you access to the special screening lane. If you want to make it official, we can use the same machines that Nexus and Global Traveler use and it can spit out a slip of paper one can hand to a screener after picking up bags and leaving the lane.

It would dramatically simplify the screening process for millions of frequent travelers and enable the TSA to focus efforts more efficiently.
This is different than customs and immigration though. You're just asking for admission to the US which they can't deny you anyway. The whole Nexus thing is to determine that there wouldn't be any issues that would warrant further processing. Customs would handle the other issues.

Why should someone who refuses to subject themselves to such a scheme be harassed by TSA and get a more intensive screening than someone who does? I'm no more of a bad guy than you are, and I travel frequently too.

Reason I bring this up: there are parts of the government that prohibit employees and contractors from participating in things like this for what should be obvious reasons. Of course, these people have had much more extensive background checks than any of these services have/would offer. If they can be trusted by the government to handle classified information, why shouldn't they be trusted to get on a plane without a hassle because they don't do a Nexus type scheme?

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of malicious breeches are caused by insiders. This would also be possible with such trusted travelers. We see how well it works with TSA's "background checks."

You can't give passes on screening based on trust. It's been violated too often and provides a hole you can drive a mack truck thru. If the pre-9/11 screening is good enough for these people, it's good enough for everyone else. Otherwise, screening people differently adds a vector to get something thru.

I agree with you a lot, but I can't agree with you on this one.

We're a nation of equals. TSA should harass everyone equally or not at all.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by nrgiii
My name is on the selectee list and that has happened to me. And no I'm not in favor of what the TSA is trying to do. My argument is with those who say checking ID can never make us safer. I say it can if it was done correctly. Unfortunately that is not happening now and isn't likely to any time soon.
And shouldn't happen anytime ever.

Read my other posts again. The examples I gave were those convicted of committing a crime.
Didn't seem clear. At any rate, those that have travel restrictions placed on them are done thru the court system and are monitored anyway thru release programs as mandated by the judicial system. If a person has paid their debt to society, then they shouldn't be harassed anymore.

That's like getting harassed for something done 30-40 years ago in college (say disorderly conduct or something) and paying the price forever. Canada denies entry for relatively minor convictions and it's a real pain to deal with (check the threads on it). I don't want to see that happen here for domestic movement.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If I tell a TSO that I think their policies are pure BS or if I show them the middle finger, will I get arrested?
Depending on the TSO (and the LEO who might be summoned), quite possibly, especially for the latter. You would risk being 'charged' with something like 'interfering with the screening process' (traumatizing a TSO's tender sensibilities).
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I agree with you a lot, but I can't agree with you on this one.

We're a nation of equals. TSA should harass everyone equally or not at all.
All good points - but with the TSA seemingly focused on all things "identity" (instead of what's in the bag), this permits a simple way to validate identity and offer a streamlined (but still effective) screening option. Nexus works because enforcement comes in the form of spot checks - fail a spot check and not only is your Nexus access gone, but you can go on a Customs 'watch' list as well.

I agree that for 9 years and some 7 BILLION dollars, we should have effective, simplified walk through and carry-on scanning machines that quickly and safely identify the contents of electronics, liquids, shoes and torsos - so screening can be 100x more effective than pre-9/11 while taking no more and possibly even less time to execute.

The problem is the TSA has squandered much of that money on useless efforts and false starts. At this point they have nothing left but the 'Identity' angle.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I can't believe I need to explain this but here goes:

Let suppose for a minute that the BP is secure and the no-fly list contains only genuine bad guys. Then the list would contain names of those banned from flying because of previous convictions of aviation offenses. If that were true, then there would be no way for a person on the list to get a BP under his own name. So the next option is to fly under the name of someone else. So the bad guy buys a ticket under some bogus name and gets a BP issued. So far so good. Now he tries to go to the gate. The only way he gets stopped is if he cannot produce ID that matches the BP. That's easy enough to do today by getting a fake DL. But if the ID were secure it would be a lot harder but not impossible. Sure he could fly to Belize and buy a passport but most people would not be willing to do so. Capiche?

No but they could be. They do just that at customs and it doesn't take long.

I'd bet you'd get in.
emphasis mine: the only way this works is if...

• the no-phly list is accurate (yeah, right)
  • the no-phly lists prevents (n.b. prevents) a person on said list from buying any ticket unless they show up in person (no on-line, no travel agent, etc)
  • airline reservations systems (including those from travel agents and other booking sources) must be able to "talk to the no-phly list" to force the suspected (n.b. suspected) person to purchase in person.

now with those 3 simple things being said....

it ain't never ever ever gonna happen as our gub'ment is too stoopit to see it that way
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I prefer a t-shirt with the following message:

F&$# the DraftTSA

There's a Supreme Court case nearly on point.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by i7654
This is a bit off topic, but it relates to the authority of TSO's.
i was coming though IAD last week from FRA, and was a little drunk, i was waiting to collect my bags (wrong place) TSO approaches me, as i'm the only one still waiting for my baggage, and speaks to me very rudely demanding to know what i'm still doing here. i reply im waiting for my bags or something and he freaks out at me, and demands i address him as sir.

being intoxicated makes me a little braver, so i insist i don't have to call him sir, and we had this little tit for tat, and then he started to make threats about arresting me if i don't call him sir, i start getting ruder, and demanded he calls his supervisor.

My bag finally arrives, as do 3 more TSO's, i thought i was in for it with the extra officers, but surprisingly the situation gets defused when one of the older ones agrees they have no right to insist i call them sir, and i am under no obligation to call any TSO sir.

they all apologize to me for their colleagues behavior, the original TSO aplogizes, i accept his apology, thank him, call him sir and leave for the check-in counter with a big smile on my face
IAD.

Why am I not surprised? Aside from the TSA issues, I've run across the rudest CBP folks there of anywhere.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Knowing who bought a ticket for a flight does not make the flight safer.
In the interest of accuracy, this should read:

"Knowing the name in which a ticket was bought does not make a flight safer."
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Oh, no fear, they're working on buses, trains, ferries, bridges, harbors, and mule-drivers at historical parks. By 2015, you'll have to show ID to push the button to use the pedestrian crosswalk.
And submit to a body cavity search to get on a commercial aircraft. Remember the movie "Con Air"? That's how TSA wants to control airline passengers: Orange jumpsuits, chained to your seats, having to beg to use the toilet. And if you've said anything against DHS or the current administration, that's who the on-board chain-link cages are for.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:40 pm

(addressing bocastephen)
Would you agree that checking IDs, if done correctly with secure BPs, IDs and an accurate NF list would help make flying more secure?
No. Because I think the notion of a "no-fly" list is fundamentally flawed ... at least, as currently constituted.

We are a nation of due process, of laws, and of balanced justice. The concept of a no-fly list, as currently constituted, does not seem to me to be compatible with those principles.
  • Determining who is placed on the list is done in secret, by persons unknown, for reasons unknown. A person placed on the list has no ability to know whether they are even on the list. This seems to me to contradict the Fifth Amendment's protections regarding due process under the law.
  • Once on the list, it's not clear how to get off the list. Certainly this is important for decisions made in error. But even for those who may have committed suspicious acts at one time, is there no room for redemption? The Eight Amendment prohibits "cruel and unusual punishments" for crimes; is it appropriate to ban a seventy year old nun from flying on commercial aircraft because she was present at a protest rally in the 60s? Even for "real" crimes, we understand that once imprisonment, and perhaps probation, have concluded, in most cases the prisoner is free to resume their life without restriction.

So ... I'm not sure that the notion of an "accurate NF list" even makes any sense. Unless you turn that into a "list of people with judicially-issued restraining orders prohibiting air travel" ... which is a much different concept.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:46 pm

There are certain people I don't want on my flight and there are certain objects I don't want on my flight. The prevention methods are different for each.

Consider the nut jobs who try to open the emergency exit during the flight or who get drunk and assault FAs or other passengers. There are more of those out there than real terrorists and the only dangerous thing they bring through the metal detector is themselves.
Then I guess under your standard the Chairwoman of the US House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Transportation Security and Infrastructure Protection (yes, the House committee that oversees the TSA) should not ever be allowed to fly.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by n4zhg
Remember the movie "Con Air"? That's how TSA wants to control airline passengers: Orange jumpsuits, chained to your seats, having to beg to use the toilet.
On the other hand, those seats looked bigger, and with more legroom, than most standard Economy-class seats...

Originally Posted by n4zhg
And if you've said anything against DHS or the current administration, that's who the on-board chain-link cages are for.
Bad marketing. It would sell much better if you called it the "airy private suite."
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Then I guess under your standard the Chairwoman of the US House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Transportation Security and Infrastructure Protection (yes, the House committee that oversees the TSA) should not ever be allowed to fly.
A member of congress behaving badly? Hard to believe.

I wouldn't say Sheila belongs on the NFL because she wasn't convicted of an offense. That said, I have no problem with CO refusing to fly anyone who behaves that way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.