Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
The business card is 50K spend per year, see here:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...-credit-cards/
LOL OMG, I actually have this card. I only put a few thousands on it to get the $500 bonus and never used it again. I didn't realize it was $50/year. I just switched the category to Travel. $50K/year is more than enough for me. Although for @jamesteroh, he will cap it in 2.5 months.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 7:56 pm

It looks like most of the recent discussions here have been about BOA vs Chase. Which, I like this discussion. I have 6 versions of the Cash Rewards cards so I get the 5.25% back on up to $15k a quarter and can choose 6 different categories each month. It is legit. And if you have the new Unlimited Cash Rewards Card or Travel Rewards Card all generic spending is at 2.625% which is unmatchable except by that PennFed or some random small cards I think. I still keep CSR though because 1) buy flights on it through the portal and they are worth 7.5% back (5 ppd and then the multiplier), 2) buy rental cards through portal worth 15% (10 ppd plus multiplier), 3) charge internet/phone to Chase Ink for 7.5% back (5ppd then send to CSR for multiplier), 4) household member has CFU for 4.5% dining (3 ppd then send to my CSR for multiplier, this is their biggest category and they get 2.25% on everything else and it is nice to not have to reconcile anything on the statements each month, everything on that card is hers). So I personally rake on both of these.

Now, my question and why I came to this particualar thread -
Does anyone have insights into what is happening with PYB after Sept 30? It has been a gold mine for me. Before I bought flights with my UR which is good, but because of the above method I am essentially losing $75 for every $1,000 flight I redeem with points if PYB goes away. I hope they at least let it rotate categories and things like that.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I'm going to miss PYB I need to start buying gift cards at Grocery stores and restaurants I like to burn through some of my points since international travel won't happen for me for a while.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 10:31 pm

Is anyone else having issues with their Chase Sapphire Reserve card where some smaller travel expenses aren't getting the 3x points? For example Southwest flight $5.60 (for fees), toll road expense, BART and Muni (public transportation) fares. I would post a screenshot but can't seem to do so until I've made 5 posts...
Old Sep 11, 2021, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pOOpiehead
Is anyone else having issues with their Chase Sapphire Reserve card where some smaller travel expenses aren't getting the 3x points? For example Southwest flight $5.60 (for fees), toll road expense, BART and Muni (public transportation) fares. I would post a screenshot but can't seem to do so until I've made 5 posts...
Remember, you don't earn any points on the first $300 in travel charges each account year, regardless if you use your $300 Travel Credit for actual travel expenses or grocery/gas. Could that be it?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Remember, you don't earn any points on the first $300 in travel charges each account year, regardless if you use your $300 Travel Credit for actual travel expenses or grocery/gas. Could that be it?
I don't think so. I got 3x points on Lyft and Uber and grocery stores. It's specific to Southwest and the toll road, Bart, and Muni expenses that they show up as earning 0 points, not even the standard 1x. How odd!
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by pOOpiehead
I don't think so. I got 3x points on Lyft and Uber and grocery stores. It's specific to Southwest and the toll road, Bart, and Muni expenses that they show up as earning 0 points, not even the standard 1x. How odd!
That sounds to me like exactly what you were told earlier. Your travel credit just reset and now you're earning 0 points on the first $300 on travel purchases.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:24 am

Hey all

Any word if chase will extend it past 9/30?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by bklgafly

Not as of yet afaik. How much in advance have they announced extensions in the past?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by medellinfein
Not as of yet afaik. How much in advance have they announced extensions in the past?
Good question. I am not sure.

Really hoping they do. I have zero usage right now and in the foreseeable future for any travel.... Groceries and restaurants is a win.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I suspect if it was going to be extended, that would already have happened.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by bklgafly
Based on their press releases and other communications I would say yes, but the categories will change.

From the press release of August 10:
Both Preferred and Reserve cardmembers will also continue to have rewards flexibility with everything offered in the Ultimate Rewards portal, such as the popular Pay Yourself Back feature ...
From the letter I received in July regarding the Sapphire Reserve annual fee increase:
Keep enjoying all your card has to offer, including:
  • 50% more value on points redeemed for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards, or select rotating categories through Pay Yourself Back
Categories, eligible merchants, and purchase transaction eligibility may change from time to time without notice.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
If they are going to have new categories I wish they'd release them in advance so I could plan with my points better.
Rare likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Didn't realize that would become a permanent feature. It sounds like it may rotate quarterly like the 5x category on the Freedom. Hopefully, they keep dining as a category next month.
Rare likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by zorbachs
Hopefully, they keep dining as a category next month.
I hope so! Dining is the only category I "pay myself back" for now. I also used points to cover a ton of grocery purchases back when they earned 3x points. For 1x purchases, I'd rather use my CFU to get 1.5x.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.