Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Been traveling the world full time since Jan 2020 (best travel times of my life, easily, hit 50+ countries)
I'm one of the people who paid no attention to PYB.

Was using Capital One points to erase AirBNB, but now with this...
I'll book AirBNB on CSR, and use PYB with the bonus.

Maybe it's just the name 'Pay Yourself Back' - but I assumed it was some low value promotion.
Didn't realize it could be a significant driver of value.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 9:56 pm

could car rentals redeem with PYB?
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by danhouston
could car rentals redeem with PYB?
dont think car rentals fall into any of the reimbursable categories shown in

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33610163-post394.html

But you earn 3X for a rental with the CSR and can use those URs to pay for, say, a dining expense.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by blueman2
Agreed. Near as makes no difference useless to vast majority of people. Now 60% of the PYB 'categories' are limited to single store/company (Airbnb, Away, Chase). Insulting to call all of these categories. But happy that for now dining is still there. Definitely my go-to place for burning rewards points.
This. No value for me. .
Old Oct 16, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Booked four AirBNBs this week with Chase CSR.

First one is already showing as PYB eligible at the 1.5cents. So, that's nice.
Generally don't like AirBNB (I avoid if I have to pay actual money). But, this makes it more palatable.

Hooray for Chase, this is solid (and I wish I saw it months ago!)
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Hooray for Chase, this is solid (and I wish I saw it months ago!)
Reimbursement AirBNB just started. For me personally dining is a lot more useful as I dont usually do AirBnBs.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:46 pm

hello, looking through this thread i could not find the answer. has anyone used the CSR at an international restaurant (assuming said restaurant codes as a restaurant) and successfully used PYB to get credited? for example i am planning on a trip to some asian countries such as japan and taiwan later in the year and was wondering if this was an option. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by elementofice
hello, looking through this thread i could not find the answer. has anyone used the CSR at an international restaurant (assuming said restaurant codes as a restaurant) and successfully used PYB to get credited? for example i am planning on a trip to some asian countries such as japan and taiwan later in the year and was wondering if this was an option. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
FWIW I used PYB for restaurant charges in Aruba in late 2020.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, many times. No issues for me. European restaurants in my case.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:59 pm

Yes, I use it all the time at restaurants in China.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:43 am

thanks all!
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:17 pm

CSR "Pay Yourself Back" AirBNB Question (Refundable Booking)

Hello. I am looking at making an AirBNB reservation for next summer at a property that has a generous cancellation policy- up until a few days before arrival. What would happen if I paid for the booking in full, redeemed my CSR Ultimate Rewards points (1.5% bonus until March 2022) and then later cancel my reservation? Would AirBNB refund me and thus give me a statement credit for the dollar amount? If that is the case would I be able to request a check from Chase for the amount of the rental? (Example: $900 booking, 60,000 UR points used to "Pay Myself Back", later cancel the reservation.)
Old Nov 17, 2021, 6:51 am

AirBNB would refund you in cash and you can request a check for the negative balance on your CSR.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Hmm - I need to update my cabin roller bag. I have long seriously considered the Away Aluminum Bigger carry on. Good use of PYB at 1.25 on the CSP?
Old Nov 19, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Hello. I am looking at making an AirBNB reservation for next summer at a property that has a generous cancellation policy- up until a few days before arrival. What would happen if I paid for the booking in full, redeemed my CSR Ultimate Rewards points (1.5% bonus until March 2022) and then later cancel my reservation? Would AirBNB refund me and thus give me a statement credit for the dollar amount? If that is the case would I be able to request a check from Chase for the amount of the rental? (Example: $900 booking, 60,000 UR points used to "Pay Myself Back", later cancel the reservation.)
If it works the way it did with my Lowe's credit they won't claw the credit back. Am Ex will claw credits back but Chase doesn't seem to.

When Home Improvement stores were a category I made a purchase at Lowe's for a little over $900 earlier this year. Used PYB as soon as the charge posted. a few weeks later the shower door came in and the installer said the contractor they used to do the mesaurements messed up and that door wouldn't work and I had him return it and I got the charges credited back to my account and chase never clawed back the credit. Also purchased some towel racks at Home Depot and did PYB and they didn't work out and HD gave me a credit back on the chase card and they didn't claw it back.

I charge a lot on this card and just used the credit towards other purchases but if you are only using the card for PYB categories you can request a check be mailed from Chase when the statement closes. I had a credit on my chase freedom unlimited and they refunded that via chase pay so it was in my checking account a day later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.