Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Chase Pay Yourself Back Feature
Pay Yourself Back Rotating Category "Extra bonus boost when using UR points for payment" option

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently, the categories for pay yourself back are: grocery stores and dining at restaurants (including takeout & eligible delivery services), home improvement stores and select charitable organizations. Redeem for purchases in these categories made with your Chase card with Ultimate Rewards.

After each purchase posts, you have 90 days to pay yourself back.
+50% MORE POINTS VALUE
You'll get 50% more value from your points when you pay yourself back for eligible purchases listed below.

How does Pay Yourself Back work?
Step icon one
HOW DO I PAY MYSELF BACK?
First select one or more recent eligible purchases listed and hit "Continue" to go to the next step. Then apply some or all of your available Ultimate Rewards points to each transaction you selected and hit "Confirm & Submit" to redeem your points for a statement credit.

Step icon two
HOW DO I APPLY MY POINTS TO SELECTED PURCHASES?
Enter a dollar amount for each transaction, up to the original purchase amount, based on your available Ultimate Rewards points balance. Or select "Apply Full Amount" and we'll apply your available points up to the full cost of each eligible purchase.

Step icon three
WHEN WILL I RECEIVE MY STATEMENT CREDIT?
Once you've submitted your order, it will take 2-3 days for your statement credit to appear on your account.

10/15/2020- Chase has added the Pay Yourself Back feature to the Ink Plus and Preferred Cards: https://www.chase.com/business/credit-cards/ink/inkofferscta?jp_aid_a=T_64096&jp_aid_p=chasehome_3/hero
3/10/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining and Annual Fee until 6/30/2022 (was set to expire 3/31/2022) for CSR
9/28/2022 - Chase extended the PYB categories for Dining until 12/31/2022 (was set to expire 9/30/2022) for CSR

Print Wikipost

Pay Yourself Back - Sapphire Reserve & Preferred, INK Preferred & Plus (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2023, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Unlike real money, those points that just sit around waiting for a better opportunity don’t earn interest. I doubt that Chase will ever bring back 1.5% PYB for categories with more than 1X spend.

If I didn't have a plan for my existing stockpile of URs, I would at least shift my ongoing spend to something that earns me a currency better aligned with my needs. URs are only valuable if you actually use them
Maybe I'll withdraw some 1:1 just to hedge. I just expect at some point i'll use them, and I've seen some 50% deals for specific stores go live in the past year. like with apple. That's an amazing return.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 5:56 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Any inside info on PYB categories for Q1 2024?

Fingers crossed they keep grocery stores. Even at 1.25 - the wife and I saved close to $10k in 2023 with this PYB category alone.
Still swimming in URs, so, hope grocery sticks for a long time.
Old Dec 24, 2023, 9:57 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Any inside info on PYB categories for Q1 2024?
Might be a good quarter to pause? Freedom has 5% on groceries for Q1. Hard to pass that up if you have access to it. Though it sounds like you could hit the max there easily.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
^^^
I use PYB as a personal 'out of pocket' reducer. That's it.

I earn a couple million Chase UR points a year from business spend.
I just use PYB to save the $9-10k a year I would normally spend on groceries.

Selfishly, I hope the category stays for a while
Or, if they replaced it with restaurants, that's also nice.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
^^^
I use PYB as a personal 'out of pocket' reducer. That's it.

I earn a couple million Chase UR points a year from business spend.
I just use PYB to save the $9-10k a year I would normally spend on groceries.

Selfishly, I hope the category stays for a while
Or, if they replaced it with restaurants, that's also nice.
but you can just take points as a statement credit without the need for pyb either way
Old Dec 30, 2023, 8:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by wingedwhale
but you can just take points as a statement credit without the need for pyb either way
At a lower rate of 1 cpp. PYB categories were originally 1.5 cpp and now 1.25 cpp (aside for charity which is still 1.5 cpp).

Last edited by friedablass; Dec 31, 2023 at 6:20 pm
Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I figure charities will never go above a 50% bonus, so I just PYD'ed. For anyone else contemplating a similar decision, Chase's confirmation message indicated the 1.5x 2023 rate is locked in, even if the transaction isn't processed till 2024.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by friedablass
At a lower rate of 1 cpp. PYB categories were originally 1.5 cpp and now 1.25 cpp (aside for charity and covering the AF which are still 1.5).
AF is only 1.25.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by blueman2
AF is only 1.25.
Not sure why I thought it was still 1.5. I edited my post.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Discussion continues here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...us-2024-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.