Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Chase regularly offers 3-month spending bonuses at chase.com/mybonus.
Chase Spend and Get Offers | My Bonus | Chase.com

These bonuses have the following characteristics:
  • Offers are not visible in your Chase online account. You can view them only through the portal at the link above. Viewing an offer automatically registers your card for it.
  • Offers are individually targeted. You may receive a different offer, or none at all, on a card type for which another FTer reports a bonus.
  • A given card will have, at most, one applicable bonus offer at a time.
  • Offers are typically for higher multiples of miles/points per dollar spent. Note that when an offer is for “10x on gas spend,” that means 10 points or miles per dollar total, including any category bonus native to the relevant card.
    • If you downgrade a qualifying card during an offer period, the offer will still apply, but you will receive only the incremental benefit relative to the new card’s built-in category bonus, if any. For example, the Chase IHG Premier card always earns 5x on dining, so a 10x quarterly offer is worth an extra 5 points/dollar. If you downgrade to the IHG Traveler card (native 3x dining bonus), you will receive 8 total points per dollar (native 3x plus the promotional 5 points/dollar) for spending during the offer period.
    • On very rare occasions, an offer may be for a fixed bonus contingent on the cardholder making a certain number of transactions of a minimum value. (For an early 2022 instance of this—5,000 UR for making 15 purchases of at least $2 each—see this post.)
  • Most offers are for generic categories (gas, grocery, dining, etc.). On occasion, however, an offer may be for purchases with a specific Chase partner using the applicable co-branded card (e.g., United Airlines, Hyatt, IHG) or for a large merchant such as Amazon (Q422).
  • Offers are usually capped at $1500 in spend. In some cases, however, the cap may be higher, e.g., extra miles on up to $6,000 in purchases from United Airlines on a United card.
  • Bonuses are typically for standard quarterly periods, but offers may also run for other three-month periods (e.g., June/July/August). It is generally worth checking on, or even shortly before, the first of each month for any card that doesn’t currently have an associated offer.
    • If you have a Q3 offer, you won’t be able to see any Q4 offer on that card until the Q3 offer expires. That said, Chase may send you an email notification a few days before the cutoff allowing you to view & pre-register for the upcoming offer.
For discussion of “Chase Offers”—short-term (usually <30 days) percentage discounts with specific merchants (not categories)—see "Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards), including the wiki at the top of each page.

Print Wikipost

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eajusa
Doctor of Credit states $450 renewal annual fee. Chase site lists AF as $550 for new apps.
And to be clear, that is only through the end of the year, so if your renewal is in say January, then no luck (unless they modify)

Regards
Old May 28, 2020, 6:20 pm

Is a PC a new app or a renewal?
Old May 28, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Chase announced today more limited time benefits for CSP/CSR holders.

- The annual fee is going back down to $450 through the end of the year
- A limited time "pay your self back" purchase eraser type tool at 1.25 (CSP)/1.5 (CSR) cpp for purchases in select categories (grocery, dining, home improvement)
- $300 travel credit will be valid at grocery stores and gas stations through year end

https://thepointsguy.com/news/chase-...e-covid-perks/
Good news. But for those of us who are still sheltering in place, does anyone know of a way to utilize the $300 travel credit without leaving home ?

Most of our groceries come from places that don't code as groceries, such as Costco and Wal-Mart. My husband still goes to Costco in person. Our Wal-Mart store has always been a zoo even pre-COVID, so I only order online.

Is there any site coding as supermarket that sells gift cards online ? Safeway.com codes as supermarket, but does not sell gift cards.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
- $300 travel credit will be valid at grocery stores and gas stations through year end
Originally Posted by madbrain
Good news. But for those of us who are still sheltering in place, does anyone know of a way to utilize the $300 travel credit without leaving home? .
Do you expect to shelter in place through the end of the year? I daresay one could easily spend $300 in a single trip to a supermarket, anytime in the next seven months.
Old May 28, 2020, 8:58 pm

At least for the extra points promo, Chase is coding Walmart as groceries if the store has a deli counter.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you expect to shelter in place through the end of the year?
Yes. Currently, there is no end in sight to SF bay area shelter in place orders. My employer, which is a major tech company, has also said most employees would work from home through the calendar end of the year due to COVID-19.

I daresay one could easily spend $300 in a single trip to a supermarket, anytime in the next seven months.
The key is what is considered "supermarket".

We spent $8,979.92 on groceries in 2019 according to my meticulously categorized Quicken data from over 40 active credit cards ... We have many, many >$300 transactions from Costco.

I exported to an Excel file. I deleted all Costco, Wal-Mart, Target, Amazon (rotten, not Fresh), and CVS transactions. I'm left with $1301.37 .

Most of it is from some stores in France and Vietnam, that I'm not sure would code as groceries. I see some convenience stores, too. I decided to exclude them too because they are for specialty items we brought back home that we wouldn't otherwise purchase without traveling.

If I delete all but our local stores that I know for sure would code as supermarkets, I'm left with $574.24 in 26 transactions between Food Maxx, Lion, Lucky, Safeway, a local Vietnamese supermarket, and Trader Joe's.
The median transaction is $18.79 from Safeway. The highest is $53.23 from Trader Joe's. The $574.24 is for an entire calendar year. Chase is only extending the $300 travel credit from May 1 to September 30. So, I would normally have less than $300 of "supermarket" purchases within that period. Gas purchases were $204.18 for all of 2019 (pre-COVID) but are likely going to $0. for this May - September period.

So yes, I can confidently say that with our spending patterns, it still doesn't look like we can utilize the $300 CSR credit without changing where we shop for groceries, or buying gift cards of some sort.

Or just "cheating", such as buying a flight and then getting a refund. But I bought a refundable flight last year (not with the intention of claiming the credit, but because I wasn't certain about travel plans), and then the airline went bankrupt, and I lost $700. So I'm loathe to even do that.

Originally Posted by rove312
At least for the extra points promo, Chase is coding Walmart as groceries if the store has a deli counter.
Not the case for our local store, but it would involve going there in person to be able to order from it.

Last edited by mia; May 29, 2020 at 6:11 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old May 29, 2020, 1:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes. Currently, there is no end in sight to SF bay area shelter in place orders. My employer, which is a major tech company, has also said most employees would work from home through the calendar end of the year due to COVID-19.

The key is what is considered "supermarket".
Maybe venture to a local grocery store and see if they have Costco gift cards. Then do a test purchase to see if it codes as grocery on your Chase card. If it does, go nuts on COstco gift cards which can then be used at the store you shop at? Alternatively if you buy other stuff online, buy a giftcard for that online store from the local grocery store. I've been stocking up on Amazon gift cards at my local grocery store...
Old May 29, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Kind of off topic, but the Bay Area shelter in place orders seem likely to be relaxed on June 15. This is obviously different from going back to the office - my firm stated that most employees probably will work from home through the fall. Nevertheless my firm is encouraging employees to take summer vacations, and business travel is scheduled to start coming back in the fall - so oddly enough I will likely be traveling for business and for vacation before returning tot he office full time

Also check to see if Amazon Prime Now codes as grocery for Chase - you get all sorts of household goods via that service (not just grocery)
Old May 29, 2020, 6:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... according to my meticulously categorized Quicken data from over 40 active credit cards ...
If I delete all but our local stores that I know for sure would code as supermarkets, I'm left with $574.24....
Does the fact that you did not buy groceries at conventional supermarkets in 2019 preclude doing so in 2020? Sapphire Reserve is a travel card, but for card issuers "travel" is a proxy for a demographic which they have targeted. Chase has temporarily broadened the scope of the card features to accommodate the reality that travel is interrupted. Chase has made it very easy to use the annual credit, but if even one trip to Safeway or Whole Foods is still a poor fit for your preferences I would close the card and not give it another thought.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by mia; May 29, 2020 at 6:28 am
Old May 29, 2020, 7:13 am

So yes, I can confidently say that with our spending patterns, it still doesn't look like we can utilize the $300 CSR credit without changing where we shop for groceries, or buying gift cards of some sort.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but is it really that much of a hardship for you to go to a grocery store, just one time, to take advantage of this opportunity? What purpose does looking at last year's spending patterns serve? This benefit didn't exist, and wasn't necessary, last year.
christianj and notquiteaff like this.
Old May 29, 2020, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by time_stamp
The $100 credit and the $450 fee are only for renewals, as far as I've heard. I assume you'd be charged $550.
There is a data point on DoC that says they PC'd from Freedom to CSR and received $100 credit, and another saying Chase rep says the credit applies to renewal, PC, and new app (which contradicts other comments saying new app gets no credit).

Update: sent a secure message and was told that either new application or PC will have the $550 fee, while "the annual fee increase from $450 to $550 for existing Sapphire Reserve and J.P. Morgan Reserve customers has been postponed until 2021."

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; May 29, 2020 at 9:33 am
Old May 29, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Perhaps I'm missing something, but is it really that much of a hardship for you to go to a grocery store, just one time, to take advantage of this opportunity? What purpose does looking at last year's spending patterns serve? This benefit didn't exist, and wasn't necessary, last year.
Agreed, its almost like the poster doesn't want this to work...

Regards
Old May 29, 2020, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Agreed, its almost like the poster doesn't want this to work...

Regards
I've been to all the places mentioned, Walmart, Target, Safeway, Wholefoods, Costco, in the last month and everywhere is very empty. It's probably safer to go now than when they lift the quarantine. I also go out to pick up take out everyday. Everyone is wearing masks and distancing (and side-eyeing each other), but other than that no one seems super paranoid.

If you watch too much news though, you might get a different impression. Headline today "pack of monkeys steals coronavirus vials" The uprising has started!
Negma likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My household's grocery spend at Costco vs. regular grocery stores has gone way up due to the lockdown. Even though there are just two of us it now makes sense to buy Costco's larger packages as we are cooking at home all but 1-2 meals per month. Still, we shop at stores like Safeway, Lucky, and TJs, too, and easily spend $150-200/month at them. Even if these stores were foreign to us I know we could gin up a few trips worth $300 on food we enjoy between now and EOY.

Thanks, Chase, for making this easy.
Old May 31, 2020, 11:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

The wiki includes this information.

Beginning May 31st

[...]

2) The Sapphire Reserve card gets an annual $300 travel credit which offsets travel purchases.
From June through December 31, they’ve added other categories whose purchases get offset as well, up to $300:
  • Grocery Store
  • Gas Stations
You’ll also earn points on these purchases
I read that as saying that grocery store and gas station purchases, unlike the normal travel credit, will earn points (presumably 1 point per dollar after June 30). In other words, after my annual travel credit becomes available (I've used it for the current year), if I charge $300 in travel, then I get a $300 statement credit. But if I charge $300 at the grocery store, I get $300 statement credit plus 300 UR points. Did I read that correctly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.