Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Chase regularly offers 3-month spending bonuses at chase.com/mybonus.
Chase Spend and Get Offers | My Bonus | Chase.com

These bonuses have the following characteristics:
  • Offers are not visible in your Chase online account. You can view them only through the portal at the link above. Viewing an offer automatically registers your card for it.
  • Offers are individually targeted. You may receive a different offer, or none at all, on a card type for which another FTer reports a bonus.
  • A given card will have, at most, one applicable bonus offer at a time.
  • Offers are typically for higher multiples of miles/points per dollar spent. Note that when an offer is for “10x on gas spend,” that means 10 points or miles per dollar total, including any category bonus native to the relevant card.
    • If you downgrade a qualifying card during an offer period, the offer will still apply, but you will receive only the incremental benefit relative to the new card’s built-in category bonus, if any. For example, the Chase IHG Premier card always earns 5x on dining, so a 10x quarterly offer is worth an extra 5 points/dollar. If you downgrade to the IHG Traveler card (native 3x dining bonus), you will receive 8 total points per dollar (native 3x plus the promotional 5 points/dollar) for spending during the offer period.
    • On very rare occasions, an offer may be for a fixed bonus contingent on the cardholder making a certain number of transactions of a minimum value. (For an early 2022 instance of this—5,000 UR for making 15 purchases of at least $2 each—see this post.)
  • Most offers are for generic categories (gas, grocery, dining, etc.). On occasion, however, an offer may be for purchases with a specific Chase partner using the applicable co-branded card (e.g., United Airlines, Hyatt, IHG) or for a large merchant such as Amazon (Q422).
  • Offers are usually capped at $1500 in spend. In some cases, however, the cap may be higher, e.g., extra miles on up to $6,000 in purchases from United Airlines on a United card.
  • Bonuses are typically for standard quarterly periods, but offers may also run for other three-month periods (e.g., June/July/August). It is generally worth checking on, or even shortly before, the first of each month for any card that doesn’t currently have an associated offer.
    • If you have a Q3 offer, you won’t be able to see any Q4 offer on that card until the Q3 offer expires. That said, Chase may send you an email notification a few days before the cutoff allowing you to view & pre-register for the upcoming offer.
For discussion of “Chase Offers”—short-term (usually <30 days) percentage discounts with specific merchants (not categories)—see "Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards), including the wiki at the top of each page.

Print Wikipost

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Just as an additional DP, I used my CSR at my local Walmart Superstore (it's definitely a Superstore and not a Neighborhood Market) on Sunday as a test to see how it coded and it coded as grocery and I received the 5x.

Negma likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Weird that they are not promoting this to CSR card members...
Old May 6, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Even for Chase Freedom holders, the Sapphire bonus is useful. I hope to be able to buy some fitness classes in June, which will obviously eat into the $1,500 quarterly limit (the categories are fitness and grocery this quarter). So the Chase Sapphire Grocery benefit will come in handy next month. I will also mix on various Amex grocery bonuses (Delta, Marriott, maybe Hilton)
Old May 6, 2020, 6:55 am

This also applies to anything you buy online that might code as groceries. My main workout supplement manufacturer codes as groceries if I buy it directly from their website and after testing it, I do get the 5x.
Old May 6, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My local brewery (ordering online through Square) is coding as groceries/5x on the CSR. Bit peculiar but I'm not going to complain...
Old May 6, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Weird that they are not promoting this to CSR card members...
I just got the email from Chase about it:

notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I just got the email from Chase about it:
Same here. For once, the (IT?) folks implementing it were faster than the marketing people sending out the announcement email, it seems
Old May 6, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
On that note, the fixed 500's that are US bank, what exactly is the PIN(?), i didn't see it in the packaging and the POS kept promoting me for the PIN after I typed in the last 4, I assumed it was the last 4 but I don't use USB GC's very often obviously?
IIRC, it's on a slip of paper in the package, that's easy to miss. But you can call the phone # and pick a new PIN. I tend to do that anyway.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Just as an additional DP, I used my CSR at my local Walmart Superstore (it's definitely a Superstore and not a Neighborhood Market) on Sunday as a test to see how it coded and it coded as grocery and I received the 5x.
I recommend doing a small test too, especially if you're going to purchase a lot of "groceries". I have a diet of 3 $500 visa gift cards per month. I made purchases at three different Walmarts: 2 supercenters and 1 neighborhood market. Only 1 of the 2 supercenters coded as groceries though. The NM coded as groceries (not a surprise). Anyway, until next month...
Drwaz99 likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I have a diet of 3 $500 visa gift cards per month.
Don't you pay a couple % on Visa gift cards at the time of purchase?
Old May 12, 2020, 12:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
My grocery purchases (including the occasional gift card ) here in Germany are nicely posting with the bonus. ^
Old May 12, 2020, 8:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

[...] I made purchases at three different Walmarts: 2 supercenters and 1 neighborhood market. Only 1 of the 2 supercenters coded as groceries though. [...]
Did the Walmart charge that did not get the bonus show category "Groceries" when you looked the list of charges on the Chase web site? For that matter, did the Walmart charge that did get the bonus show category "Groceries" on the list?
Old May 12, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by serpens
Did the Walmart charge that did not get the bonus show category "Groceries" when you looked the list of charges on the Chase web site? For that matter, did the Walmart charge that did get the bonus show category "Groceries" on the list?
The one that didn't get the bonus showed as "shopping" category. The one that got the bonus showed "groceries". Interestingly, both merchant names were "Wal-mart #xxxx ", and the neighborhood market showed up as "WM Supercenter #xxxx "
Old May 12, 2020, 9:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

The one that didn't get the bonus showed as "shopping" category. The one that got the bonus showed "groceries". Interestingly, both merchant names were "Wal-mart #xxxx ", and the neighborhood market showed up as "WM Supercenter #xxxx "
Thank you! I went to Walmart yesterday for some necessary shopping, and I used Sapphire Reserve rather than Freedom Unlimited because I had noted on an earlier visit that the local Walmart showed "Groceries" as the category. You have given me hope that I will get 5x. Of course, I plan to report the result after I have seen the charge post.
Old May 12, 2020, 9:47 am

You didn't pay at a location other than the front checkout, by chance? I know my local Albertsons codes as groceries when I pay at the front checkout but if I pick up at their pharmacy it's still noted as "Albertsons xxxx" but it's in the Health and Wellness category. I'm wondering if you pay at, for example, the electronics section of Walmart if it changes the coding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.