Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Chase regularly offers 3-month spending bonuses at chase.com/mybonus.
Chase Spend and Get Offers | My Bonus | Chase.com

These bonuses have the following characteristics:
  • Offers are not visible in your Chase online account. You can view them only through the portal at the link above. Viewing an offer automatically registers your card for it.
  • Offers are individually targeted. You may receive a different offer, or none at all, on a card type for which another FTer reports a bonus.
  • A given card will have, at most, one applicable bonus offer at a time.
  • Offers are typically for higher multiples of miles/points per dollar spent. Note that when an offer is for “10x on gas spend,” that means 10 points or miles per dollar total, including any category bonus native to the relevant card.
    • If you downgrade a qualifying card during an offer period, the offer will still apply, but you will receive only the incremental benefit relative to the new card’s built-in category bonus, if any. For example, the Chase IHG Premier card always earns 5x on dining, so a 10x quarterly offer is worth an extra 5 points/dollar. If you downgrade to the IHG Traveler card (native 3x dining bonus), you will receive 8 total points per dollar (native 3x plus the promotional 5 points/dollar) for spending during the offer period.
    • On very rare occasions, an offer may be for a fixed bonus contingent on the cardholder making a certain number of transactions of a minimum value. (For an early 2022 instance of this—5,000 UR for making 15 purchases of at least $2 each—see this post.)
  • Most offers are for generic categories (gas, grocery, dining, etc.). On occasion, however, an offer may be for purchases with a specific Chase partner using the applicable co-branded card (e.g., United Airlines, Hyatt, IHG) or for a large merchant such as Amazon (Q422).
  • Offers are usually capped at $1500 in spend. In some cases, however, the cap may be higher, e.g., extra miles on up to $6,000 in purchases from United Airlines on a United card.
  • Bonuses are typically for standard quarterly periods, but offers may also run for other three-month periods (e.g., June/July/August). It is generally worth checking on, or even shortly before, the first of each month for any card that doesn’t currently have an associated offer.
    • If you have a Q3 offer, you won’t be able to see any Q4 offer on that card until the Q3 offer expires. That said, Chase may send you an email notification a few days before the cutoff allowing you to view & pre-register for the upcoming offer.
For discussion of “Chase Offers”—short-term (usually <30 days) percentage discounts with specific merchants (not categories)—see "Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards), including the wiki at the top of each page.

Print Wikipost

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the follow-up, notquiteaff. It does make sense that Hyatt would not know the total spend on the card, so Chase would need to issue the cert. Still, it does seem like Hyatt needed to be involved and should have known the expiration of the cert. Ah, well, the machinations of corporate America are largely beyond my ken.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Spend $4k Oct27-Dec 31 on Hyatt card, get a cat 1-4 free night cert.

That might actually make it worth shifting some spend to the Hyatt card considering that I also get 5X on Amazon and 3X on Groceries during that time.

T&C don’t seem to include expiration date of cert, though.

-snip-
FYI this looks to be only on the legacy version, not the currently available card
Old Oct 28, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by serpens
Thanks for the follow-up, notquiteaff. It does make sense that Hyatt would not know the total spend on the card, so Chase would need to issue the cert. Still, it does seem like Hyatt needed to be involved and should have known the expiration of the cert. Ah, well, the machinations of corporate America are largely beyond my ken.
Yeah, I am pretty sure Chase didn’t hack into Hyatt’s website and put up the page to register for the promo

Someone just forgot to tell the customer service people about it, I would guess. Oh well.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:09 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by steveman518
FYI this looks to be only on the legacy version, not the currently available card
If that is the case, I wonder if it's a "parting gift" given the rumor of it going away. It was previously rumored to happen in Nov and that's obviously not happening, for the time being.

LAX
Old Oct 29, 2020, 9:39 am

kma ibj

Last edited by beltway; Apr 15, 2024 at 2:22 pm
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
"You'll earn 5 total miles for every $1 you spend on up to $1,500 per month in combined purchases at Amazon.com and grocery stores from Nov. 1 through Dec. 31, 2020 with your United MileagePlus® Credit Card."

Seems like an easy 15k UA miles. Targeted or broad offer?
Old Oct 29, 2020, 7:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
"You'll earn 5 total miles for every $1 you spend on up to $1,500 per month in combined purchases at Amazon.com and grocery stores from Nov. 1 through Dec. 31, 2020 with your United MileagePlus® Credit Card."

I got it on my Hyatt card.
Old Oct 29, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI

I think offers are fairly broadly targeted. I got

Amazon 5X, groceries 3X on old IHG and old Hyatt cards
Amazon + Groceries 5X on UA Explorer
Amazon + Groceries 5X, Marriott Hotels 10X on Bonvoy card

That said, my wife got nothing on her BA Visa.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I got it on my Hyatt card.
Did you get 5X groceries or 3X (and 5X on Amazon)?
Old Oct 30, 2020, 10:37 am
Community Director Emerita

Frequent Miler has a good article about how to add offers to your Chase cards:

https://frequentmiler.com/targeted-3...%20%28Daily%29
JapanFlyerT and EkekoBWI like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you for that, SanDiego1K.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
A generous way to max the monthly 5x grocery bonus would be to look for a grocery store that are dollar-for-dollar matching donations in November for food insecurity causes. Donate $500: Charity gets $1000, and you get a good feeling, the $500 write-off, and 5x 500 points (which are then PYB-eligible). Or, for J4U points, buy VGCs and donate the GCs and reimburse the points.
Rare, notquiteaff and abaheti like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:40 am

And now, the count that the United States has been waiting for...

A CSP charge at my area Walmart Supercenter with a grocery section was classed as Groceries and got 2x points.
gregorius likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I received the Amazon Prime Visa offer of 5x points to pay my utilities. Does anyone know if streaming services like YouTube TV count as a utility? I believe Visa tends to code it as a utility, but I wonder if anyone had a DP.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
I got this offer: Earn 5x total points, activate this offer and get 5x total points on up to $2,000 in combined purchases made with your Chase Sapphire Preferred® card from Nov. 1, 2020, through Dec. 31, 2020, in select categories:*

Phone service
Cellular, wireless data and landline services

Internet
Internet services

Cable
Cable and satellite television services

Utilities
Electric, household fuel and water

Insurance
Health, automobile, homeowners, medical and life insurance

Weirdly, spouse's Sapphire Reserve did not get this offer. We got all the general offers all Sapphire cardholders are getting, so I'm guessing this is targeted? What's the best way to go about it, just prepay bills?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by msp3
[...] get 5x total points on up to $2,000 in combined purchases made with your Chase Sapphire Preferred® card from Nov. 1, 2020, through Dec. 31, 2020, in select categories:*
[...]
Weirdly, spouse's Sapphire Reserve did not get this offer. We got all the general offers all Sapphire cardholders are getting, so I'm guessing this is targeted? What's the best way to go about it, just prepay bills?
I have not received the offer on my SR.

Short of being lucky enough to have an annual insurance payment come due by the end of the year and be payable by credit card, I think I would have trouble using half the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.