Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
In April 2020 Chase criteria for approving BUSINESS card applications have become more stringent. All Chase INK products are business cards. Chase also issues co-branded business cards for United Airlines and Southwest Airlines.

Chase business cards are subject to the 5/24 restriction. Approval of a Chase business application has not increased the N/24 count, but there are a few reports in the 4th quarter of 2022 that this may have changed, review THIS thread. There will always be some uncertainty, because 5/24 is an unpublished rule which Chase can modify without notice or explanation.

For general information about applying for Chase cards, including explanation of the unpublished 5/24 rule, please review the Wikipost of the PERSONAL card thread: HERE

Anyone can apply for a business card as a sole proprietor. If your business has a registered company name, which Chase can verify, you may use the name to apply. Otherwise, use your legal First and Last name as the business name. Do not add any extra words, do not use a made up name. If Chase cannot verify the name the application will fail.

Useful Chase telephone numbers
(888) 269-8690 - Business Credit Card Application Status Line, automated
(800) 453-9719 – Business Credit Card Reconsideration Line with live rep
(800) 453-9719 – Credit Reallocation Office (Business cards)
(888) 622-7547 – Executive Offices

Twitter: @ChaseSupport

Note: In the past, automated telephone status reports stating that Chase would notify you in 2 weeks often resulted in an approval, whereas the "7-10 days" telephone recording often indicated imminent denial. In 2016, this pattern became increasingly unpredictable, with many applicants receiving approval despite an earlier "7-10 days" automated telephone message. As a result, automated telephone responses should not be regarded as reliable indicators of an application's likely outcome.

?? Chase business credit cards [must / may] use [the same / a different] user name [as / from] personal cards. The same [applies / does not apply] to the e-mail address used. ??

Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase BUSINESS Cards (April 2020 - 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
the other day i foolishly added proposed business name to application and it promptly got stuck - eventually i managed to get through to fraud folks who confirmed that with added business name there is no way to push this through without docs that link business name with address.. they indicated that applying just with my name would have avoided such issue and suggested reapplying...
do i need to wait to reapply or just do it right away even though the ill fated one is still stuck in the system? my last business app was in the fun days of this game 4-5 yrs ago an i am clearly not up to speed here..
You should wait at least 30 days. There is a soft, but often used, Chase rule for business card applications: No other Chase card applications in the last 30 days.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Well it got put into the pending file this weekend and still has not shown up in my business profile.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
I am not mia but I will contribute my own personal theory, that I can only back up with vague anecdotal conjecture. I subscribe to the idea that Chase has a model for if they will approve or not, and then a model for total credit line once that decision has been made.

Before the pandemic, those models were very similar so far fewer people noticed the difference. Fundamentally, I suspect Chase considers total personal income (regardless of source) and FICO factors and how close you are to already being allocated your total allowed credit in the personal OR business bucket very highly. Based on those factors, there were separate credit line pools for personal vs. business, but both of those were high enough that we saw many more instant approvals.

As the pandemic changed risk profiles, Chase changed the calculations used to set the business bucket of credit line to be much smaller. So now, you have applicants who would have been instantly approved based on total income and FICO but who are suddenly already at the limit for total business credit. So you see more manual reviews, leading to the reviewer's discretion to, say, go over the business bucket limit by $5k to approve what would have otherwise been an instant approval if the credit limit guidance were higher.

(EDIT: I also suspect there was a temporary rule change to make it much more difficult for sole proprietor businesses to be approved, specifically based on business structure, from roughly April 2020-November 2021. There seems to be plenty of evidence to say that was a temporary change that has been taken out of the model at this point.)
I had two apps denied in 2021 (pre Nov). I haven’t tried again. Sole proprietor and SSN, 30 years, and reason was not long enough in business. I hope you’re right re model has changed.

Originally Posted by mia
Is there any public record, such as a business license or fictitious name registration that Chase could have found to verify 30 years? Did you discuss with Chase that the reason for denial seems inaccurate?
mia I didn’t see this reply until now. No, no license or fictitious registration. It’s a side business that involves occasional contracts and annual royalties. I did not call Chase to discuss. They’ve approved for business cards for about 10 years now for this same kind of application. May try again in a few months after I slog through the 15k spend for the plat.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
I've been having no issues getting biz cards from Chase since August '21, and SO, who has always had to jump through more hoops than me, (only sent in nursing license and ID for last biz app) got approved also. We both apply strictly as Sole Prop's.

My only issue (just an inconvenience, really) is the low CLs...my CIP got a $5K one (raised to $10K 3 days after making bonus spend) and $3K on all our other biz cards. Since I now have 2 biz cards, I just put some of that $10K on my CIU until I get the signup bonus done.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Based on some posts above regarding rules being relaxed for sole props, I applied for a Chase Ink Preferred for my mom. Got this message: "We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision as soon as possible." Is this the usual message for a decline? When Covid first hit I tried to apply for other Chase business cards and she got rejected for business structure.

When I call the status line, they say no application has been filed under her SSN. She applied on Jan 21.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Based on some posts above regarding rules being relaxed for sole props, I applied for a Chase Ink Preferred for my mom. Got this message: "We have received your request for a Chase credit card. We'll let you know our decision as soon as possible." Is this the usual message for a decline? When Covid first hit I tried to apply for other Chase business cards and she got rejected for business structure.

When I call the status line, they say no application has been filed under her SSN. She applied on Jan 21.
Don't worry about that. I've had the exact same message and nothing on the status line for every Chase biz app, but we still got all three of our business cards.
You can just call and talk to a live person to get an answer, or just wait for the mail, whichever you are comfortable with.

Last edited by fredc84; Jan 25, 2022 at 7:58 am
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:43 am

No issues getting Ink Cash w/DBA SP

Some people have recommended only applying for a sole proprietorship card under your own name only. Data point, yesterday I applied for an Ink Cash card using the existing profile information for my other Ink card, which is <my name> DBA <my name> Consulting, and was approved within 24 hours. By no means am I saying that's bad advice, just that in my case, it wasn't an issue. N.b. this is a DBA which includes my own name, not a fictitious business name which is a somewhat more formal regulatory concept - in CA, requires registering and publishing the FBN in an approved newspaper.

(I thought about changing the business name to just my own name, but figured that might also be likely to raise a flag with their systems, since my existing Ink card is using the DBA name. Just speculation though.)

Last edited by oddhack; Jan 25, 2022 at 5:02 am
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Don't worry about that. I've had the exact same message and nothing on the status line for every Chase biz app, but we still got all three of our business cards.
You can just call and talk to a live person to get an answer, or just wait for the mail, whichever you are comfortable with.
Interesting, I got a very similar but not identical message, it said something like "We need more time than usual." Haven't heard from them since, confirmation email said they'd let me know their decision via mail in 30 days. I feel like I got that same message once applying for a personal card that was then denied. What did your confirmation email say?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mb752
Interesting, I got a very similar but not identical message, it said something like "We need more time than usual." Haven't heard from them since, confirmation email said they'd let me know their decision via mail in 30 days. I feel like I got that same message once applying for a personal card that was then denied. What did your confirmation email say?
I never got an email confirmation. For the first biz card app I finally called in after about 2 weeks and was told I got approved 2 days after I applied. For SO's first one, I got a request for documentation, which I provided, then called in about a week later and was told we got approved. My 2nd biz card (the last app), it actually showed up in my account before I got any other notification...possibly since I already had one business card already. That's about the extent of our experience...so far
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:34 am

I never got an email confirmation. For the first biz card app I finally called in after about 2 weeks and was told I got approved 2 days after I applied. For SO's first one, I got a request for documentation, which I provided, then called in about a week later and was told we got approved. My 2nd biz card (the last app), it actually showed up in my account before I got any other notification...possibly since I already had one business card already. That's about the extent of our experience...so far
Curious, I just got an email saying my card application was approved! 😀 But it's not showing up in my accounts yet. 😂
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: Mom got an email saying she was approved.
RNE, fredc84 and tstauck like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:25 am

Curious, I just got an email saying my card application was approved! 😀 But it's not showing up in my accounts yet. 😂
If this is your first business card, it won't show up in your personal account. There's a quirk (or it's WAI) where you can't add Chase business cards to a personal card account, but you can do it the other way around.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:02 am

If this is your first business card, it won't show up in your personal account. There's a quirk (or it's WAI) where you can't add Chase business cards to a personal card account, but you can do it the other way around.
Oh interesting. So how does it work, I wait for the card in the mail, and then I create a separate online account for it? Can I still pay the card bill from my chase checking account with a single click?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh interesting. So how does it work, I wait for the card in the mail, and then I create a separate online account for it? Can I still pay the card bill from my chase checking account with a single click?
I had to call Chase to get them to set up a new business profile and bring in personal accounts.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
I had to call Chase to get them to set up a new business profile and bring in personal accounts.
FWIW, I did the same thing years ago. However, when I subsequently closed my Chase business cards a year or 2 later, I lost access to ALL my Chase accounts (personal savings, personal checking, personal credit cards). Significant hassle to reestablish on-line access. When I reopened some Chase business cards 2-3 years ago, I choose to maintain 2 different Chase on-line profiles (UsernameB and UsernameP).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.