Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase Shut Down thread: (Archived version found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-consolidated.html]
There is a general Shut Down thread in the Manufactured Spend forum, found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
When someone reports an account closure here, people are curious as to both the background on the Chase relationship and any/all potential shut down triggers. Please answer any relevant questions to give details. This could help figure out what happened or how you could proceed:
  1. Background: Do you have both Credit Cards and Banking accounts with Chase? Tell us your history at Chase. What do you feel the trigger could have been? Does anything unusual (from the bankers perspective) go on in your accounts? How long have you had a banking relationship with Chase? Please explain.
  2. Ultimate Rewards: Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last names? Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Potentially suspicious activities: Do you use multiple sources to pay your credit card bills, such as Walmart Bill Pay? Do you ACH using multiple accounts? Did you recently wire transfer large amounts into or out of your Chase accounts?
  4. Bonus Earnings: Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  5. Other possible Triggers:
  6. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  7. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line or cycling the credit lines on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  8. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  9. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit recently? Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? Do you mimic a "bust out" profile? (Someone maxing out credit prior to filing bankruptcy)
  10. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  11. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  12. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  13. Did you abuse the Chase Refer a Friend system?
  14. Did you use/abuse Chase's new checking/savings sign up bonus incentives?
  15. Did you bounce a check for a credit card payment?
  16. DId someone at your address get shut down also?
  17. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other accounts at Chase? Are they in good standing?
  18. Did you dispute or return items on your credit cards? How many times?
  19. Have you recently needed back office help on your accounts, which may have triggered a review or called attention to something?
Print Wikipost

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:52 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
That would be a strong move on Chase's part? To shutdown someone for opening a couple business cards ? or are you stating the switcharoo with the business checking account is what did him in?
Chase may shut down the CC accounts opened solely for the purpose of obtaining rewards. Worse if opened in rapid fashion. This is targeting the churners.

Not sure about the checking since it was not part of the reward. But if new account bonus was earned on the checking account, then it can be targeted too.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fanatic
Thank you! What can I do with all the points earn? Can I still keep them? I assume that I will no longer be able to get either a Chase personal or biz card, right?
You should be able to keep the points. You can still call them to see if you can sort it out. It may not be ban or blacklist.
fanatic likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
Chase may shut down the CC accounts opened solely for the purpose of obtaining rewards. Worse if opened in rapid fashion. This is targeting the churners.

Not sure about the checking since it was not part of the reward. But if new account bonus was earned on the checking account, then it can be targeted too.
This isn’t how it usually works, though. Chase doesn’t ordinarily shut down one credit card because of suspected bonus abuse; it shuts down all of one’s cards. Generally speaking, the only time individual Chase cards get shut down is for lack of use for 6 months to a year.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe_miami
This isn’t how it usually works, though. Chase doesn’t ordinarily shut down one credit card because of suspected bonus abuse; it shuts down all of one’s cards. Generally speaking, the only time individual Chase cards get shut down is for lack of use for 6 months to a year.
OP only has two Chase (Ink) cards and applied for the 3rd business CC, which was denied. The 2nd card may be closed too.

In Chase T&C, it says, it can "shut down" the card if the card is:

by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the purpose of generating rewards

This is exactly what OP was doing. And OP wanted to open another Ink card within the same year. The 3rd application was the trigger.

Give Chase a call and find out the reasons. Then pls report back.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

OP only has two Chase (Ink) cards and applied for the 3rd business CC, which was denied. The 2nd card may be closed too.

In Chase T&C, it says, it can "shut down" the card if the card is:

by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the purpose of generating rewards

This is exactly what OP was doing. And OP wanted to open another Ink card within the same year. The 3rd application was the trigger.

Give Chase a call and find out the reasons. Then pls report back.
Again, there have been no examples of individual cards being shut down by Chase for abuse, nor would it make any sense.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:16 am
Suspended

Again, there have been no examples of individual cards being shut down by Chase for abuse, nor would it make any sense.
We'll just let OP figure out and report back. No point to fight this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:24 am

You should be able to keep the points. You can still call them to see if you can sort it out. It may not be ban or blacklist.
I'll transfer the points out then call them. Which of these numbers would be the best to call? Thank you

877-781-3109 (CLI requests & account closures)
888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst – Reconsideration)
888-622-7547 (Chase Executive Office in IL)
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fanatic
I'll transfer the points out then call them. Which of these numbers would be the best to call? Thank you

877-781-3109 (CLI requests & account closures)
888-245-0625 (Credit Analyst – Reconsideration)
888-622-7547 (Chase Executive Office in IL)
Call the phone # of the back of the card and ask to speak with a supervisor. Find out the fact first.
fanatic likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:00 am
Suspended

The point is simply that it's no punishment to shut down an individual card after an alleged churner has already received the bonus. Such people rarely use the cards again anyway.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:21 am

Chase just closed all my accounts. Two ink business cards open for about seven years and one personal. It's actually the second time I've had my accounts with them closed, but last time they didn't hit my business cards. Looks like I get to keep the points, which is probably related to the check I got for a lawsuit last year when they had closed accounts and kept the points.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 11:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tedfor
Chase just closed all my accounts. Two ink business cards open for about seven years and one personal. It's actually the second time I've had my accounts with them closed, but last time they didn't hit my business cards. Looks like I get to keep the points, which is probably related to the check I got for a lawsuit last year when they had closed accounts and kept the points.
Any idea why?
RNE and nwflyboy like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:08 pm

Any idea why?
Start with OP's prior posts.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Troopers
Start with OP's prior posts.
Ah. Looks like a lot of MS.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:35 am

Thumbs up

I called Chase Fraud dept asking for reinstatement but the CSR shut me down. I then asked if I could speak to a supervisor who was very helpful. Eventually she agreed to reinstate all accounts.
Thank you all for the help!
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:41 am
Suspended

All accounts? I thought only one card was closed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.