Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase Shut Down thread: (Archived version found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1526572-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-consolidated.html]
There is a general Shut Down thread in the Manufactured Spend forum, found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1948543-2019-shutdown-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What happened?
When someone reports an account closure here, people are curious as to both the background on the Chase relationship and any/all potential shut down triggers. Please answer any relevant questions to give details. This could help figure out what happened or how you could proceed:
  1. Background: Do you have both Credit Cards and Banking accounts with Chase? Tell us your history at Chase. What do you feel the trigger could have been? Does anything unusual (from the bankers perspective) go on in your accounts? How long have you had a banking relationship with Chase? Please explain.
  2. Ultimate Rewards: Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last names? Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Potentially suspicious activities: Do you use multiple sources to pay your credit card bills, such as Walmart Bill Pay? Do you ACH using multiple accounts? Did you recently wire transfer large amounts into or out of your Chase accounts?
  4. Bonus Earnings: Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  5. Other possible Triggers:
  6. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  7. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line or cycling the credit lines on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  8. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  9. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit recently? Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? Do you mimic a "bust out" profile? (Someone maxing out credit prior to filing bankruptcy)
  10. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  11. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  12. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  13. Did you abuse the Chase Refer a Friend system?
  14. Did you use/abuse Chase's new checking/savings sign up bonus incentives?
  15. Did you bounce a check for a credit card payment?
  16. DId someone at your address get shut down also?
  17. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other accounts at Chase? Are they in good standing?
  18. Did you dispute or return items on your credit cards? How many times?
  19. Have you recently needed back office help on your accounts, which may have triggered a review or called attention to something?
Print Wikipost

Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 6:37 pm

How long should you wait to apply for Chase cards again after shutdown/reinstate incident?
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: none
wondering the same... its been about 2 yrs since being shut down, and I am under 5/24 now. its been less than 48months since earning bonus on a saphire card...
only option would be going for a CIP bonus...
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
if Chase close all my cards, do I have time to transfer points out after the closing or all the points will be confiscated?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:36 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by coolguy100
if Chase close all my cards, do I have time to transfer points out after the closing or all the points will be confiscated?
Past reports suggest you will have time to transfer your points.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RNE
Past reports suggest you will have time to transfer your points.
Thirty days, IIRC.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:16 pm

Chase not allowing to open accounts

I was shut down 5 years ago. Went overboard to rack airline miles. Checking/Saving/Credit Cards accounts where shutdown. Tried to open a checking/savings account with 1200$ bonus a few weeks back but was denied. Told I can never open an account with chase anymore. Sucks to be me. Anybody know when and if I will ever be able to open a account?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:41 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by wildcat1313
I was shut down 5 years ago. Went overboard to rack airline miles. Checking/Saving/Credit Cards accounts where shutdown. Tried to open a checking/savings account with 1200$ bonus a few weeks back but was denied. Told I can never open an account with chase anymore. Sucks to be me. Anybody know when and if I will ever be able to open a account?
Nobody knows, but congratulations on the bonus.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jamesssss
Thanks. I’ll wait and see what happens. Hope everything works out.
Did you ever find out what the reasons for shutdown were?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:32 pm

Angry Prior misuse of the credit card rewards program

Got this reason (prior misuse of the credit card rewards program) for Chase credit card application. How to fix it? What to do? About 10 years ago I unintentionally of rules transfer some points to couple my friends
xfisgsm likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:07 pm

It would be helpful to know how you “unintentionally” transferred miles to a “couple” of friends. How many miles, how many friends, etc. What made it “unintentional”?
msp3 and cuthroat like this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe more importantly, was the OP paid in any form for the "unintentional" transfers of points?
Steve in Olympia and cuthroat like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:53 am

Couple friends

Just couple friends. We travel together and they where short few K miles
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Without further details it's hard to give sensible information, but I don't think this is going to go in your favour. Chase has decided that it does not want to have you as a customer and has retained records of that reason. You could write in, but I doubt it will do much.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 9:31 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by edulik
About 10 years ago I unintentionally of rules transfer some points to couple my friends
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
. What made it “unintentional”?
The transfers were intentional, but edulik did not intend to break the rules. In the beginning Chase's software permitted Combining between unrelated UR accounts, and Transfers to anyone's airline or hotel accounts. It was not until 2015 that they explicitly limited Transfers. I do not recall when they formally restricted Combining, but I can probably find it if it is important.

Here is a discussion from 2012:

Chase closed my Sapphire Preferred account due to transfers to other UR accounts.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:07 am

Thanks. What I can do to fix it? Or it is forever. Even some one who kill some one exiting prison at some point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.