Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018 4th quarter 5% categories: Wholesale club, Dept store, Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by briang191
​​​​​​I wonder if you could double dip with points being added manually.
It looks like that may be the case now, as the manual points posted as an adjustment,but I would guess that Chase could go back a recalculate Costco.com purchases.
I am not sure I want to test it and risk losing the bonus points on the extra 1500 in spending if they do make corrections down the line
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by mroseman13
My transactions at Safeway and a local Cafe from a few days ago finally posted and gave 5x the long way using MST!
What is MST?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by snic
What is MST?
SAMSUNG pay

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043949/
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Has anyone seen Amazon GCs at any eligible stores this quarter? I see the earlier report for Best Buy, but would like to know if there's others. I can probably knock this quarter's out with one printer toner order alone.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Chase Freedom: Not quite feeling it

Hello Freedom afficionados, seeking some sage advice about whether to close or keep this card:
I acquired it as a downgrade from a CSP a bit over a year ago, primarily for some fee-free Chase points continuity. But even in good quarters, the bonus categories don't wow me (i.e. don't trigger more than a modest spend), and in the current quarter, not a single category is useful to me. I don't MS. As a holder of 2-3 other Chase cards (with fees), there's no need for me to keep the Freedom just to keep Chase points. Can you suggest other reasons why I might want to hold onto this card?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jcp3rd
Hello Freedom afficionados, seeking some sage advice about whether to close or keep this card:
I acquired it as a downgrade from a CSP a bit over a year ago, primarily for some fee-free Chase points continuity. But even in good quarters, the bonus categories don't wow me (i.e. don't trigger more than a modest spend), and in the current quarter, not a single category is useful to me. I don't MS. As a holder of 2-3 other Chase cards (with fees), there's no need for me to keep the Freedom just to keep Chase points. Can you suggest other reasons why I might want to hold onto this card?
It has no fee and you still earn more points for what bonus spending you do than with other cards?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:16 pm

get creative and find a way to max each quarter. I use to earn very little on my freedom cards. I now max out three cards each quarter.
RedSun likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:01 pm

Do Macy's or Nordstrom's sell VGC's? cant find any for this category.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by briang191
get creative and find a way to max each quarter. I use to earn very little on my freedom cards. I now max out three cards each quarter.
Yes, that's exactly the thing, I just haven't figured out how to be creative (without doing GCs). What are your top two tips for a non-MS person like me?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:18 am

Purely from a credit score perspective, closing any credit card can ONLY have a negative impact. This could range from negligible to significant depending on the rest of your credit file, but it's ALWAYS negative. For a no-AF card, you would need to give me a reason why keeping the card open is a detriment to you for me to recommend closing it.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:47 am

Yes, that's exactly the thing, I just haven't figured out how to be creative (without doing GCs). What are your top two tips for a non-MS person like me?
i would say money vgc to money order. Start slow buy a $500 money order then move up to two swipe money orders etc.

unless you have a business or travel for work it can be difficult to have max out the quarter without ms.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I don't do any MSing like buying money orders and all, but I do a bit of gift carding - so perhaps not exactly the answer you're seeking. I will do Visa Gift Cards though and use those for spend that's not getting me multiple points per dollar with another card - phone and utility bills, sports fees, doctor costs, etc.I might also get a few Amazon gift cards because you're not really locked to one minor retailer, they sell pretty much anything, including gift cards to my grocery store.The minor hassle is worth the additional discount/point gain to me.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta, IHG
Don't get caught up in the trap of thinking you need to max the rewards out each quarter, or even have to use it once during a quarter. Just use it when it makes sense to. If that's only one quarter a year then so be it.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:07 am

Today I am having chase pay woes. A few weeks back I purchased a dryer from Best Buy. I click on my chase pay app and pay but it turns out that it went through as a google wallet purchase. Looks like google wallet was my default set up on my phone. You would think if you manually select chase pay to make a purchase it would use the appropriate app to pay. I called chase to see if they can re-code the purchase, but I am not holding my breath.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:09 am

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm more likely to put the card away for a quarter than to buy GCs for now. And good point re: closing the card, my thinking was more motivated by reaching 5/24 and wanting some wiggle room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.