Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Dispute Resolution - Tips and Tales [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Dispute Resolution - Tips and Tales [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Does the local jurisdiction require a signature? Many don't and it's only relevant in any event if you are disputing the service or the charge. OP isn't. He is disputing the way the charge is classified.

Where the lack of a signature matters is when you state that you never were at the hospital or did not authorize the treatment.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gnomey
I chose to keep Ink+ over CSP that I signed up many years ago, since I didnt want to pay 2 AFs. But if I am ever pre-approved for CSP, I think I will have another go at it.

Never understand why people rave and rave about CSR. It's good card with fantastic 100K offer, no doubt, but not goddess-like like how many people make it to be on Reddit. Herd mentality? Given the chance, I would also get it but only for the sign-up bonus and will ditch it after a year, as just like you, all the extra benefits I get all come from Amex Plat, or award flights in premium cabin. Plus, Amex is more generous with retention offers than Chase.

But the downside of Amex, is itself. Amex is not widely accepted once outside of US. This is why I am thinking abt signing it up for CSP again or to get a Citi Prestige. But I havent seen Citi Prestige offering 100K again - perhaps never?

Yes, I think it is possible to have 2 Ink Cash.
The CSR without the bonus is only good in theory, i.e. with those perks which in reality do not work for a majority of people.

Of all the faults AMEX, one thing it is far superior than Chase - the handling of dispute. A recent dispute on a DCC in Dubai this past January, has dragged on till TODAY, with NONE of the resolution proposed by the Chase rep (accepted by me over a phone call in Mid April) has EVER gone thru my card. I had to place at lease 5 to 6 phone calls to the dispute handler to eventually got a call back on the initial contact. Then upon returning from a long trip last week, to follow up on the NON-happening of the resolution agreed upon / confirmed by a letter from the Chase rep, I have made 6 phone calls since Friday and still not receiving a call back.

So fed up I called the different number that is the general dispute dept number that got me to Philippines. Then I asked to speak to a US-based manager but got a supervisor. Upon telling him the lengthy story of the whole damx thing, the supervisor decided to issue a full credit and ended the case. I would need to still monitor the account for the next 5 biz days to see if that credit would go thru.... Today is May 31st, the dispute filed in first week of Feb, to give you an idea. And this is on Chase so-called Premier card, or the "TOP Card" of its line up. What a disappointment.

Based on what I have read so far, dealing with Chase on a dispute item is a very frustrating experience.

Chase has lost 300 millions on CSR. I guess it has to cut corner on each and every aspect of Customer Services to recoup a tiny portion of it.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Often1
Does the local jurisdiction require a signature? Many don't and it's only relevant in any event if you are disputing the service or the charge. OP isn't. He is disputing the way the charge is classified.

Where the lack of a signature matters is when you state that you never were at the hospital or did not authorize the treatment.
Well Chase is claiming the transaction was not an "in person" transaction.

But in this case, I didn't consent to either an in person or a CNP transaction. Chase person said they had your credit card on file.

Well if they did, I didn't know about it. In fact, what they did was to key in my card number manually on one of those portable credit card terminals and propose that they send it.

I refused and left. Even if I have a liability to the hospital, that doesn't mean they should be able to choose when or how I pay that liability.

Again, I asked why a restaurant whose bill I paid couldn't again use my card later to add additional charges after I'd left. It seems like signature verification is meaningless, though they have merchants collect them but apparently even Chase won't consider the signature as absolutely necessary.

I'd planned to keep this CSR card because I have no problems using the $300 travel credit to offset the $450 annual fee.

But now, I'm not so sure I would be that eager to pay the annual fee, despite the benefits, knowing that Chase will side with the merchant over their customer in disputes such as these.

Maybe the FTers who maximize churning -- getting the promos and canceling before the end of the first year -- have the right idea all along.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
I fully concur with that, based on an issue that I had in the past month and have not mentioned here.
As of now the once again promised credit this time by a US-Based supervisor at the Chase dispute dept has not been reflected in the available credit balance yet. He did say he had notated the account so in case the credit not showing up in 5 biz days I could call back and tell a US-based rep to read the latest notes so I would not need to repeat the whole story again.

I will report back how long it would take Chase to post the credit if it indeed posts.

UPDATE: The credit of the full disputed amount showed up on 06/02. Reason is "Adjustment". Hope this time it will stick!

With AMEX, a dispute is handled swiftly. In several cases with Avis overseas billings the credits became permanent the next day they were issued. All I needed to do was filed the disputes online. No follow up ever needed.

With Chase, this is the ONLY dispute I have ever had over the years owning Chase cards. It dragged on for 4 long months and inappropriately being closed without promised resolution. The written communication reached me 3 weeks after it is dated, with only 1 day left to sign back a form. I had to call more than a doz times before getting a call back. Then the promised resolution never comes thru so another 1/2 doz calls still no call back. Escalation seems to finally get me somewhere but until I see the final posting of the credit I am not hopeful that this is finally it.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed to say the least.

Originally Posted by wco81
I'd planned to keep this CSR card because I have no problems using the $300 travel credit to offset the $450 annual fee.

But now, I'm not so sure I would be that eager to pay the annual fee, despite the benefits, knowing that Chase will side with the merchant over their customer in disputes such as these.

Maybe the FTers who maximize churning -- getting the promos and canceling before the end of the first year -- have the right idea all along.
This is exactly how I feel. The benefits only look good on paper but difficult to use, the customer services have been deteriorating, security and dispute handling are outsourced to Philippines/India. The fraud dept in Philippines is horrible. My banker was appalled when I told her about how a linked external account was handled by the Philippines call center rep.

The net $150 fee is NOT justifiable based on my experiences. With such a high fee card you would expect a better than usual customer service. Yet, it seems this is the exact opposite.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 3, 2017 at 8:51 am Reason: added important missing word
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

I spoke to someone's in OH.

Initial dispute, I did it online and in a couple of days I got a call. Can't recall if that person had an accent. They initially credited my account.

After about 6 weeks, I got the call from this woman in OH, whose position is that they were authorized to charge my card after keying in my card number in their terminal but not getting my consent or signature to charge almost $2200 at inflated DCC rate.

She said I would have to produce a credit slip from the hospital or else my account would be charged back the amount they had credited during the dispute case.

Of course the hospital had this money all this time, almost 2 months, and I'd left the country so I had no recourse, since they were ignoring my emails.

But this Chase agent is giving a lot more weight to my securing a credit slip from the merchant than the merchant proving that I agreed to the transaction by producing a signed receipt.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I spoke to someone's in OH.

Initial dispute, I did it online and in a couple of days I got a call. Can't recall if that person had an accent. They initially credited my account.

After about 6 weeks, I got the call from this woman in OH, whose position is that they were authorized to charge my card after keying in my card number in their terminal but not getting my consent or signature to charge almost $2200 at inflated DCC rate.

She said I would have to produce a credit slip from the hospital or else my account would be charged back the amount they had credited during the dispute case.

Of course the hospital had this money all this time, almost 2 months, and I'd left the country so I had no recourse, since they were ignoring my emails.

But this Chase agent is giving a lot more weight to my securing a credit slip from the merchant than the merchant proving that I agreed to the transaction by producing a signed receipt.
Are you disputing $2200 unauthorized charge or are you disputing the DCC amount on the $2200?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Both.

I estimate it's about $150-200 more over the prevailing rates.

So I signed whatever papers assuming responsibility for the bill.

But that still doesn't give them the right to use my card number without my consent.

The thing I'm learning is that my signature isn't required, even for a large transaction.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by Happy
The CSR without the bonus is only good in theory, i.e. with those perks which in reality do not work for a majority of people.

Of all the faults AMEX, one thing it is far superior than Chase - the handling of dispute. A recent dispute on a DCC in Dubai this past January, has dragged on till TODAY, with NONE of the resolution proposed by the Chase rep (accepted by me over a phone call in Mid April) has EVER gone thru my card. I had to place at lease 5 to 6 phone calls to the dispute handler to eventually got a call back on the initial contact. Then upon returning from a long trip last week, to follow up on the NON-happening of the resolution agreed upon / confirmed by a letter from the Chase rep, I have made 6 phone calls since Friday and still not receiving a call back.

So fed up I called the different number that is the general dispute dept number that got me to Philippines. Then I asked to speak to a US-based manager but got a supervisor. Upon telling him the lengthy story of the whole damx thing, the supervisor decided to issue a full credit and ended the case. I would need to still monitor the account for the next 5 biz days to see if that credit would go thru.... Today is May 31st, the dispute filed in first week of Feb, to give you an idea. And this is on Chase so-called Premier card, or the "TOP Card" of its line up. What a disappointment.

Based on what I have read so far, dealing with Chase on a dispute item is a very frustrating experience.

Chase has lost 300 millions on CSR. I guess it has to cut corner on each and every aspect of Customer Services to recoup a tiny portion of it.
Happy, I can one up you on this. I have had a dispute going on since December 2016 with Chase that is still not resolved and it is June now. I had proof of the merchant committing fraud and told them I would submit the documentation but Chase refused to accept it, and instead the girl from an outsourced dispute call center in Asia told me that the credit I received would be permanent but then was reversed about a month later when Chase found in the merchants favor because they refused to provide me with a fax number or address to mail the documentation to.

Then when I reached out to Chase again they still refused to accept my proof and told me that the merchant's documentation is all they could accept. This was a representative in the Indian call center. Then I received 2 phone calls from an Indian dispute department representative that I missed which instructed me to call him back but each time I called he never answered I left a message and never received a call back. Once I got the CFPB involved then they finally reopened the case and accepted my documentation, but still have not concluded the case and that was back in February 2017. To add insult to injury, the merchant told Chase's dispute department on a recorded call with me that if I disputed the charge they would refund it and then when I told the representative at the merchant that I had already disputed the transaction with Chase and the merchant denied the claim she still said that I needed to dispute it and that they would refund it.

So Chase's dispute department is absolutely horrible. I have never had issues with American Express or Citibank for that matter. Not sure why their dispute department is so horrible but it is. Even worse with this dragging out my annual fee has posted and Chase says they will continue to investigate if I close the card based on this experience but based on the experience so far I highly doubt it. So now my options are keeping the card open and paying the fee just so Chase can possibly resolve my issue or close the card and have Chase continue to investigate which likely means they will do nothing and just close the case out. As such, I will then need to get a lawyer involved to sue the merchant. I am likely to just close the card and sue the merchant and call it a day with Chase since they have been so unaccommodating. Have to laugh because their marketing team is begging me to open up new credit cards with them and become a private banking client meanwhile they can't resolve a simple dispute of fraud from an online merchant.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Joe1690
they refused to provide me with a fax number or address to mail the documentation to..
I wish I knew about this earlier, because I'm sure I or someone could provide you with that address. It should be printed on the back of your statement (or in the terms and conditions of your card, which you can request). Even if I file a dispute by phone, I send my dispute by certified mail with documentation. The reps who refused your documentation obviously don't know what they're talking about.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by rrgg
I wish I knew about this earlier, because I'm sure I or someone could provide you with that address. It should be printed on the back of your statement (or in the terms and conditions of your card, which you can request). Even if I file a dispute by phone, I send my dispute by certified mail with documentation. The reps who refused your documentation obviously don't know what they're talking about.
I have never had an issue in the past with disputing by phone. I disputed the transaction the 1st day it posted to my account because I knew it was an error and that is why when 30 days had past and I didn't hear from Chase I called to find out where I could mail my documentation since I had explicitly stated in the dispute that I had documentation supporting my case and I was refused. I forgot to mention that I did escalate the issue to the executive office as well at Chase right around when I filed a CFPB complaint so not sure how helpful the executive office is if this has been dragging on for about 3 months with them as well. Also one of the reps who refused my documentation and stated that the merchant's documentation is all that Chase could accept was a manager who I had escalated the call to when the first rep gave me the same response. As such, this wasn't an isolated incident and leads me to believe that Chase has a systemic issue in their disputes department of incorrect information on the actual disputes process.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:08 am

OK. I agree that disputing by phone is usually fine. I had a bad dispute a long time ago that got me to start mailing things. In that particular case I received a call from the office of the president of Chase to resolve it. The whole thing was ridiculous.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Joe1690
I have never had an issue in the past with disputing by phone....
Issuers encourage filing disputes online or by telephone, perhaps because that doesn't trigger the legal protections which impose very specific performance requirements.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DONT deal with either Philippines or Indian Call Centers on ANYTHING that is importan

The outsourcing centers are worthless.

I never understand WHY Chase would outsource IMPORTANT functions such as Security / Fraud Prevention and Dispute handling to Philippines/Indian call centers.

ALWAYS request to be transferred to a US based supervisor as soon as you hear the accents. It is a total waste of time to talk to the outsourced center reps as they only go by the printed rules, have NO discretionary powers to do anything.

This also applies to AMEX but much less frustrating as AMEX Indian call centers have been established MANY years ago and the reps there seem to be well-trained and have a little bit of power.

Finally, if the dispute item amount is large, make sure you follow up with a formal letter after submitting the dispute either online or over the phone. This is the ONLY WAY to protect your right, with any bank, stated by the regulations.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Issuers encourage filing disputes online or by telephone, perhaps because that doesn't trigger the legal protections which impose very specific performance requirements.
MIA, thanks for the advice. Until this dispute I never realized that disputing by phone or online has different legal repercussions to disputing by mail. This is excellent advice and I will definitely use going forward. I did wind up faxing over a statement to Chase's dispute department that I believe did fall within the required 60 day time frame for a dispute but unfortunately they had already found in the merchant's favor so all they could do was to reopen the dispute which is still ongoing. The annoying thing is this dispute is for a supposed purchase in the four figure range and the receipt I have documents the purchase amount should have been in the 2 figure range so quite a difference. This is why I am highly considering legal action at this point because Chase doesn't seem reliable with disputes.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:26 pm

Edreams stole my money and Chase sided with merchant!

Hey guys, here's my situation, hopefully someone smart can help me with some ideas on how to proceed. On may 20th, i bought a plane ticket for my friend and his family of 4 for travel on May 28 via the online travel agency Edreams. Upon checkin with Malindo Air (an indonesian airline), he found out that Edreams never remitted payment to the airline to confirm the booking. I got an email from the airline that states such and filed a chargeback with Chase. Got a letter today that chase sided with the merchant and that the service was performed.......??? did they blatantly disregard the email that I had sent from the airline? What options do I have now other than the fact that I am out $475? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.