Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by roundtree
There's a correction required in the wiki (and I can't edit yet!):
[...]
Hope that helps someone...
Fixed. Thanks for flagging it.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
We have a great advantage in this. One of our oldest cards has been bought and sold by several banks and is a Chase Freedom right now. It is a joint account. While Chase will not create new joint accounts it kept it a joint account when they bought it.

So, we can move all the points onto the Freedom and then whoever has a travel partner eligible card at that time can move them to that card and onward to other programs.

(I know it is not that hard to recreate a link whenever you change cards, or Chase changes rules, but we don't have to do that.)
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards
Is it worth taking out an additional card such as the Freedom Unlimited to earn 1.5% on everything I wouldn't use my Sapphire Reserve for? The FU can be transferred 1:1 to UR correct? And then with the SR, you can redeem at 1.5x... Or I accept the cash back directly from the FU. Are the points interchange in each direction?

I consider the FU to replace my SWA Chase card since it only earns 1 point per dollar unless it's SWA airfare - which my SR earns 3 points for. The UR redemption is also much more lucrative than SWA Rapid Rewards in terms of the points needed to say book a hotel room or car.

I also know I will take another credit hit for applying for another card - but would I be better as keeping the SWA as an open line of credit to lower my utilization (it's 0% anyways since I dont carry a balance), or should I just close it to keep my card count at 3 instead of 4. I carry a useless Citi Diamond Preferred since the rate is 6% if I need to rely on credit in an emergency and it's my longest running account at 8 years.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by kdersch
The FU can be transferred 1:1 to UR correct?
To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, UR is UR is UR. If you are the primary cardholder on multiple Chase UR cards, you can move those points freely across the different card-specific UR silos.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
  1. The FU can be transferred 1:1 to UR correct?
  2. And then with the SR, you can redeem at 1.5x...
  3. Or I accept the cash back directly from the FU.
  4. Are the points interchange in each direction?
  5. .. my utilization (it's 0% anyways since I dont carry a balance),
  1. Yes, Freedom Unlimited is marketed as a cash back card, but earns Ultimate Rewards points
  2. Probably. Cardholders should be able to move UR points earned with other cards to their Sapphire Reserve UR account and redeem all of them at the Sapphire Reserve rate. No one has had the card long enough to have received a statement to verify this.
  3. You can redeem UR points from any card for cash. The rate is always $0.01 per point. Freedom Unlimited earns more points per dollar, but the points have the same value as any other UR card.
  4. Yes. See (2).
  5. Utilization is calculated based on the balance reported by the card issuer to a credit bureau. This is usually the balance which appears on your statement. The only way to have 0% utilization is the pay the bill in full before the statement is generated. The fact that you pay the bill in full before the next statement is invisible to the credit bureau.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Probably. Cardholders should be able to move UR points earned with other cards to their Sapphire Reserve UR account and redeem all of them at the Sapphire Reserve rate. No one has had the card long enough to have received a statement to verify this.[/LIST]
Answer is definitely yes. I have consolidated my Freedom and Ink Business Plus points to my new CSR card. The Ultimate Rewards webpage shows that my 300,000 points are worth $4500. toward travel.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by mia
  1. Yes, Freedom Unlimited is marketed as a cash back card, but earns Ultimate Rewards points
  2. Probably. Cardholders should be able to move UR points earned with other cards to their Sapphire Reserve UR account and redeem all of them at the Sapphire Reserve rate. No one has had the card long enough to have received a statement to verify this.
  3. You can redeem UR points from any card for cash. The rate is always $0.01 per point. Freedom Unlimited earns more points per dollar, but the points have the same value as any other UR card.
  4. Yes. See (2).
  5. Utilization is calculated based on the balance reported by the card issuer to a credit bureau. This is usually the balance which appears on your statement. The only way to have 0% utilization is the pay the bill in full before the statement is generated. The fact that you pay the bill in full before the next statement is invisible to the credit bureau.
Knowing this...it seems like it would be ignorant of me not to ditch my SWA Chase card in favor of the Freedom Unlimited since it has better earning potential and better redemption rates.

I just wonder what impact it'll have on my credit score and whether I'm better off just keeping the SWA and not using it, or closing the account completely...
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Knowing this...it seems like it would be ignorant of me not to ditch my SWA Chase card in favor of the Freedom Unlimited since it has better earning potential and better redemption rates.

I just wonder what impact it'll have on my credit score and whether I'm better off just keeping the SWA and not using it, or closing the account completely...
Nada. Cards remain on your report whether open or close, for 10 years.

There would be some short term impact if you lose a CL by cancelling a card if that card accounts for some meaningful portion of the total CL. However if your overall utilization is still very low, the impact is hardly noticed.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Nada. Cards remain on your report whether open or close, for 10 years.

There would be some short term impact if you lose a CL by cancelling a card if that card accounts for some meaningful portion of the total CL. However if your overall utilization is still very low, the impact is hardly noticed.
I have something like 20k under Citi (never use the card) and 16k on my SWA card (I spend 3-4k a month on it) and that is all being switched to my CSR with 17k. I would plan on opening a CFU card for any spending not counted under 3x on my CSR and transferring the points over. I would essentially be replacing the SWA with another card. I just don't know what effect that amounts to.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:23 pm

I'm concerned with the language stating "one member" of my household. I'm planning on transferring points from my sister's account to mine. We live at the same address.

When I move out in the next year or two however, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend. At that point, I want to be able to transfer points between her and my account.

Does the language regarding transferring points mean that you're 100% committed to one AU to transfer points to? What if someone gets a divorce, moves out??
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:20 pm

I am assuming this works the same with all Chase cards. Say get CSR, earn the bonus, transfer the points to CSP, then cancel the card without losing any of the points?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:02 pm

Yes!!!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:36 am

If I combine UR points from my wife's account to mine, do those points ever expire?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nick521
If I combine UR points from my wife's account to mine, do those points ever expire?
Points expire only if you close the card for the account they're in (i.e., if you don't transfer them to a partner or to another UR account).
Old Dec 14, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Are there recent data of Chase cracking down on any FTer for transfering to someone not living in the same place? A cousin owes me 100K and am debating which is safer - get him to add me as an AU and then transfer to my airline account or to Chase Ink account. The latter does not require one to be an AU which saves $85 and I get flexibility of Sapphire points.

Is Chase strict about household or can family be ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.