Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ratamacue
Apparently the answer is yes...
I wouldn't mind seeing a $4000 AF card that has a $3700 travel credit and earns 5x UR points/$ on travel and dining. I think the "cost" of the card alone would turn away a lot of people, but it's not a true cost because of the travel credit.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
I wouldn't mind seeing a $4000 AF card that has a $3700 travel credit and earns 5x UR points/$ on travel and dining. I think the "cost" of the card alone would turn away a lot of people, but it's not a true cost because of the travel credit.
Why stop there?

I'm all in on the $100K annual fee card with $99,850 in travel "credits" and 25x UR points.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Why stop there?

I'm all in on the $100K annual fee card with $99,850 in travel "credits" and 25x UR points.
Not many people would agree as a lot of people don't travel that much or don't pay for their own travel.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Why would it matter since you do not have to renew it each year. Color me confused.

If its yearly then i can use it for my wife, kids and even gift it!!
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by nomorecoach
Let's say the app gets denied because of 5/24. Could you then become Private Client and get it approved via reconsideration within 30 days? Or, do you have to be a Private Client member before the initial application?
Anyone have experience with this kind of thing?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Not many people would agree as a lot of people don't travel that much or don't pay for their own travel.
But you could buy gift cards!
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Well, seems like a YMMV type of thing. Personally, I could definitely see keeping it beyond the first year for the $300 travel credit and the 3X spending for travel and dining, especially since the Citi Prestige is losing its AA lounge access perk and UR offers better travel partners for me than TY and Amex. Also, the alternative option of getting the expensive AA Citi card that includes lounge access is going away since Citi is about to limit access to cards within the same affiliate families of cc's (e.g., AA, Hilton) unless you wait for two years (I know I'm not stating it quite correctly, but it's something like that).

Given the $450 price and since Chase is making this an appealing card that's supposed to compete with other high-end cards, I'm hoping that the 5/24 rule will be waived on the theory that lots of folks are like me and will hold onto it. But I should know better than to hope for such favors from the cc gods...
Definitely YMMV. I have a hard time using fourth night free on Prestige because of hotel points, FHR, etc. So, 3x on hotels is meaningless for me. I also use hotel gift cards and get much better deals that way.

Regarding AA Exec and also writing off Amex Platinum, I would say it's way too early. Citi and Barclays just signed a new deal with AA and I am expecting some serious benefits to be rolled out soon, including more miles per $ spend, higher EQMs on spending vs. 25% (10K for 40K spending), etc. Right now, DAL has the best CC offering....way better than AA, UA and even better than AS.

Amex can do dozens of things to make sure its users keep spending money.

Overall, I am glad CSR will be launched soon. It would mean Amex and likely Citi would up its game. It is still a vast and open playing field and this could be just the start of the action.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by josephstern
Why stop there?

Now you guys are just being ridiculous haha
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Explain. Why do you see value in this card in year 2?

Just what I said, it's not that complicated......
But I guess different people have varying degrees of moral thresholds, and will see different value proposition for the same product................
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Explain. Why do you see value in this card in year 2?
Assuming you're going to have one of the following: CSP, CSR, or Ink+, the value proposition is pretty clear for CSR.

There is a $55/yr premium in having the CSR vs the others once you consider the travel credit.

That $55 premium turns your 1.5x FU from a 1.875% cash back card into a 2.25% cash back card via its 50% bonus. If you have $15000/yr of unbonused spend and occasionally use cash for points with UR (which at 1.5 cpp is a serious option now) then it pays to have the CSR over the others.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: SPG gold lifer
Anyone able to suggest the correct strategy and sequencing of moves for the following?

I have the CSP (and my wife is an authorized user.) I want to get the CSR. Don't have any 5/24 issues etc so should be approved.

I assume correct approach is to apply for CSR instead of upgrading CSP to grab the 100K UR sign up bonus. But then my CSP is useless and has the fee, so I should either cancel it or downgrade into Freedom Unlimited. Assume downgrading is better to keep my AoA up? So do I apply for the CSR first, then downgrade CSP, and then transfer credit line from CSP to CSR? Does that sequencing matter?

Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by jags86
Assuming you're going to have one of the following: CSP, CSR, or Ink+, the value proposition is pretty clear for CSR.

There is a $55/yr premium in having the CSR vs the others once you consider the travel credit.

That $55 premium turns your 1.5x FU from a 1.875% cash back card into a 2.25% cash back card via its 50% bonus. If you have $15000/yr of unbonused spend and occasionally use cash for points with UR (which at 1.5 cpp is a serious option now) then it pays to have the CSR over the others.
I have no problem with that explanation which is based on facts and assumptions that one can consider. But again it is only "pretty clear" based on your assumptions of spend. Nothing wrong with that of course, and it will work for a lot of people, under the same assumption - but it is far from universal truth.

I have a problem when someone has an "opinion" that is not based on any supporting facts or any assumptions.

Nothing is "better" or "worse" without knowing the comparison and what was the matrix used to make that determination.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jspector
Anyone able to suggest the correct strategy and sequencing of moves for the following?

I have the CSP (and my wife is an authorized user.) I want to get the CSR. Don't have any 5/24 issues etc so should be approved.

I assume correct approach is to apply for CSR instead of upgrading CSP to grab the 100K UR sign up bonus. But then my CSP is useless and has the fee, so I should either cancel it or downgrade into Freedom Unlimited. Assume downgrading is better to keep my AoA up? So do I apply for the CSR first, then downgrade CSP, and then transfer credit line from CSP to CSR? Does that sequencing matter?

Thanks!
I'm going to downgrade mine. I'll probably have to transfer credit too. Here's my sequence:
  1. App for CSR
  2. Assuming it goes pending, call customer service to downgrade CSP and transfer over some credit
  3. Spend away on CSR
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by jags86

Thank you
That's exactly my scenario
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Just what I said, it's not that complicated......
But I guess different people have varying degrees of moral thresholds, and will see different value proposition for the same product................
I assume by morals you are talking about reducing the credit limit to avoid any annual fee. Then yes, this is something I would not do. While technically "within the rules" it is a stretch too far for me.

Frankly I'm surprised Chase allows it to continue as much as it did. Maybe when this would move from the niche of the Ritz card to the CSR they would crack down harder on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.