Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion continues HERE.

This card is under 5/24. You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24) pre-approval, or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days) is now live:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests.

Schumer box on 8/15/2016:
https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...g.do?card=FL3P

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The purchases made that you receive the $300 travel credit (or $85/$100 trusted traveler program credits) for do count towards the minimum spend, but the annual fee does not.

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air Saver to everyone after production (currently (8/26) appears to have about a 3-day delay after approval before shipping.)
Print Wikipost

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Why go through all that work and move them back?
Also good luck finding a JPMorgan advisor willing to waste their time on that.

Originally Posted by STS-134
If you are over 5/24, it seems like you should be able to in-kind transfer some brokerage assets to Chase, become a CPC, apply, then transfer them back. I haven't heard of Chase ever canceling a card that someone acquired as a CPC, simply because that person ceased to be a CPC...at least not yet. Only annoying thing about that plan: your current brokerage would lose your cost basis information.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I personally think that even FTers who "churn this card" in the strictest sense and "close before year two" are really stupid imo. Yes, you are correct in thinking that most of us likely have plans to extract $300 from this card. Thus, those who wouldn't want to keep CSR at $150 per year vs CSP or ink plus at $95 are really dumb in my opinion and don't deserve to be playing this game
Explain. Why do you see value in this card in year 2?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I personally think that even FTers who "churn this card" in the strictest sense and "close before year two" are really stupid imo. Yes, you are correct in thinking that most of us likely have plans to extract $300 from this card. Thus, those who wouldn't want to keep CSR at $150 per year vs CSP or ink plus at $95 are really dumb in my opinion and don't deserve to be playing this game
It is true however that this card is still missing that one defining benefit similar to amex centurion lounge access or citi 4th night free hotel, independent of $300 travel credit.. I hope they fix this gap by giving us united club access with this card or hotel status or something...... this is my personal view and analysis
Any hidden Chase marketing execs here, feel free to hire me, as I'm looking for work..😊
Totally disagree. That extra point may just not be worth it for many of us. I am switching my loyalty to DAL or AS next year. In either case, their branded cards are pretty awesome and I will have to put very good spending on DAL cards to get the MQMs.

Also, you can easily get 3x points and more on Amex for airlines spending and more on hotel spending -- I was recently targeted 10,000 MR for spending $500 or more in a single booking via Amex Travel. You start adding these benefits up and all of a sudden that extra point is totally meaningless. I also have hotel loyalty cards for free nights (IHG, Hyatt, Freemont, SPG, Hilton) where I get way more hotel points, so I don't care for the extra point

For Infiniti benefits, I have City Crystal and get the $100 discount that won't be offered with this product, and 12 GoGo passes per AU and $250 airline fee reimbursement per AU and the same car rental insurance coverage that comes with CSR.

For everyday spend, it's hard to beat EDP and for travel insurance, fourth night free, Citi Rewind, restaurants without Amex Offers of restaurant gift cards, I have the Prestige.

Bottom line, people who really know how to optimize spending for points and status will be canceling this card in 12 months or so after getting it.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:52 am

My biggest use for this card: getting it for my wife.

While happy to enjoy miles & points perks I accumulate she jeers at bonus categories; new card applications; keeping track of minimum spends to maximize rewards across cards, etc etc (basically anything involved with this 'hobby').

So, finding 1 card for her wallet to use for all spending that's at least close to maximizing value makes me feel better
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ukyank
My biggest use for this card: getting it for my wife.

While happy to enjoy miles & points perks I accumulate she jeers at bonus categories; new card applications; keeping track of minimum spends to maximize rewards across cards, etc etc (basically anything involved with this 'hobby').

So, finding 1 card for her wallet to use for all spending that's at least close to maximizing value makes me feel better
Haha, I'm in the same exact boat. This is the perfect excuse to convince her to get a new card. She's travels much more than me for work, so that 3 points is going to make a huge difference.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Haha, I'm in the same exact boat. This is the perfect excuse to convince her to get a new card. She's travels much more than me for work, so that 3 points is going to make a huge difference.
Me, too. Impossible to get the wife's head around which card to use, this month, for gas, grocery, etc.

I should just get her $200 Visas and Amazon GCs from Officemax @5x UR for almost everything.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
with CPC, isn't your money really sitting idle? any good interest rates on the cash we hold with them?
Assets in a brokerage account count toward your $250k CPC total too, as do actively managed Chase funds (which, let's face it, is what Chase really wants you to do with your money).

Originally Posted by Jalen500
Why go through all that work and move them back?
Also good luck finding a JPMorgan advisor willing to waste their time on that.
Well presumably you wouldn't tell the advisor your true plans until after you were approved for and received the card.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Anyone planning on having themselves and their spouse/partner/significant other apply next week? My husband and I are considering applying at the same time and I'm wondering if other couples are too.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:15 am

Yes, I plan to do that.
Both are over 5/24, will try to get the card for the both of us if indeed 5/24 does not apply on the first day(s).
After 1st year we'll keep mine (or downgrade to CSP) and dump hers.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by Tpa-flyer
Anyone planning on having themselves and their spouse/partner/significant other apply next week? My husband and I are considering applying at the same time and I'm wondering if other couples are too.
208,000 (or more) URP * 1 HGP/1 URP * 1 Nght/30,000 HGP = 7 Nights is tempting
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by highops
208,000 (or more) URP * 1 HGP/1 URP * 1 Nght/30,000 HGP = 7 Nights is tempting
7 Nights at a category 7 Hyatt does sound pretty amazing. Especially with Diamond status.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: Whatever you have, I have too.
Originally Posted by Nehawk
7 Nights at a category 7 Hyatt does sound pretty amazing. Especially with Diamond status.
Precisely!
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
It is true however that this card is still missing that one defining benefit similar to amex centurion lounge access or citi 4th night free hotel, independent of $300 travel credit.. I hope they fix this gap by giving us united club access with this card or hotel status or something...... this is my personal view and analysis
Any hidden Chase marketing execs here, feel free to hire me, as I'm looking for work..😊
Originally Posted by jediwho
Totally disagree. That extra point may just not be worth it for many of us. I am switching my loyalty to DAL or AS next year. In either case, their branded cards are pretty awesome and I will have to put very good spending on DAL cards to get the MQMs.

Also, you can easily get 3x points and more on Amex for airlines spending and more on hotel spending -- I was recently targeted 10,000 MR for spending $500 or more in a single booking via Amex Travel. You start adding these benefits up and all of a sudden that extra point is totally meaningless. I also have hotel loyalty cards for free nights (IHG, Hyatt, Freemont, SPG, Hilton) where I get way more hotel points, so I don't care for the extra point

For Infiniti benefits, I have City Crystal and get the $100 discount that won't be offered with this product, and 12 GoGo passes per AU and $250 airline fee reimbursement per AU and the same car rental insurance coverage that comes with CSR.

For everyday spend, it's hard to beat EDP and for travel insurance, fourth night free, Citi Rewind, restaurants without Amex Offers of restaurant gift cards, I have the Prestige.

Bottom line, people who really know how to optimize spending for points and status will be canceling this card in 12 months or so after getting it.
Well, seems like a YMMV type of thing. Personally, I could definitely see keeping it beyond the first year for the $300 travel credit and the 3X spending for travel and dining, especially since the Citi Prestige is losing its AA lounge access perk and UR offers better travel partners for me than TY and Amex. Also, the alternative option of getting the expensive AA Citi card that includes lounge access is going away since Citi is about to limit access to cards within the same affiliate families of cc's (e.g., AA, Hilton) unless you wait for two years (I know I'm not stating it quite correctly, but it's something like that).

Given the $450 price and since Chase is making this an appealing card that's supposed to compete with other high-end cards, I'm hoping that the 5/24 rule will be waived on the theory that lots of folks are like me and will hold onto it. But I should know better than to hope for such favors from the cc gods...
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by cslovacek
I'm really really wishing/wanting for Chase (or Citibank) to come out with very premium card -- Annual Fee in the $750-$1,000 range, have mind blowing benefits...

Have Chase or Citibank ever studied such a card?
Apparently the answer is yes...
Originally Posted by dlesin
There will be a card tiered above palladium to release same day as CS(R) that will actually require private bank relationship and will not have loophole to allow app through CPC or over the phone as Palladium did. I'm told that will have the features of the speculated Palladium overhaul that never came to be. Will have details this coming week when I get mine.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ratamacue
Apparently the answer is yes...

Most of that sounds what I'd ultimately be looking for, but with one big caveat -- I don't want to have a "business relationship" with Chase other than the credit card. Not into being a Private Client of theirs, etc.

Darn, looks like it would be close to what I'm after though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.