FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:31 am
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I personally think that even FTers who "churn this card" in the strictest sense and "close before year two" are really stupid imo. Yes, you are correct in thinking that most of us likely have plans to extract $300 from this card. Thus, those who wouldn't want to keep CSR at $150 per year vs CSP or ink plus at $95 are really dumb in my opinion and don't deserve to be playing this game
It is true however that this card is still missing that one defining benefit similar to amex centurion lounge access or citi 4th night free hotel, independent of $300 travel credit.. I hope they fix this gap by giving us united club access with this card or hotel status or something...... this is my personal view and analysis
Any hidden Chase marketing execs here, feel free to hire me, as I'm looking for work..😊
Originally Posted by jediwho
Totally disagree. That extra point may just not be worth it for many of us. I am switching my loyalty to DAL or AS next year. In either case, their branded cards are pretty awesome and I will have to put very good spending on DAL cards to get the MQMs.

Also, you can easily get 3x points and more on Amex for airlines spending and more on hotel spending -- I was recently targeted 10,000 MR for spending $500 or more in a single booking via Amex Travel. You start adding these benefits up and all of a sudden that extra point is totally meaningless. I also have hotel loyalty cards for free nights (IHG, Hyatt, Freemont, SPG, Hilton) where I get way more hotel points, so I don't care for the extra point

For Infiniti benefits, I have City Crystal and get the $100 discount that won't be offered with this product, and 12 GoGo passes per AU and $250 airline fee reimbursement per AU and the same car rental insurance coverage that comes with CSR.

For everyday spend, it's hard to beat EDP and for travel insurance, fourth night free, Citi Rewind, restaurants without Amex Offers of restaurant gift cards, I have the Prestige.

Bottom line, people who really know how to optimize spending for points and status will be canceling this card in 12 months or so after getting it.
Well, seems like a YMMV type of thing. Personally, I could definitely see keeping it beyond the first year for the $300 travel credit and the 3X spending for travel and dining, especially since the Citi Prestige is losing its AA lounge access perk and UR offers better travel partners for me than TY and Amex. Also, the alternative option of getting the expensive AA Citi card that includes lounge access is going away since Citi is about to limit access to cards within the same affiliate families of cc's (e.g., AA, Hilton) unless you wait for two years (I know I'm not stating it quite correctly, but it's something like that).

Given the $450 price and since Chase is making this an appealing card that's supposed to compete with other high-end cards, I'm hoping that the 5/24 rule will be waived on the theory that lots of folks are like me and will hold onto it. But I should know better than to hope for such favors from the cc gods...