Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by uinoka
My flight tomorrow NRT-ICN is cancelled due to severe weather (typhoon). The airline offered a refund and did not rebook me on a later flight (they are accepting refund requests through email and the reservation line is closed for the night).

Does trip delay benefits kick-in for this situation?

- The same airline has only one other flight that is more than 6 hours later (original flight booked with CSR).
- The later flight is not bookable for whatever reason (errors out on airline's own website).
- If I try, I can get another ticket tomorrow within 6 hours of my original departure time, with other airlines of course.
Yes, you're covered for the max $500 Trip Delay coverage (assuming of course that you don't live in NRT, your trip otherwise qualifies, etc.) to pay for hotels, meals, local taxis, etc. while you wait. The coverage does care whether you could have theoretically bought a $2k walk-up ticket on another airline or rented a sailboat or whatever; just be prepared to show your original itinerary and your rebooked itinerary.

Make sure you get a statement from the airline indicating why your flight was cancelled. They seem to be sticklers about that recently.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:34 pm

How about if I have purchased round trip air tickets through the chase travel portal (i.e. Expedia) and paid for using my CSR card, but everything else in between is a tour package and was paid for via international wire transfer to a touring agency? Would any of the travel benefits (trip interruption, delay, medical and emergency services, etc) apply or be reimbursed if something happened in between flying out and flying back? My initial reaction would have been no, but then I saw the bit below in the OP, so now I'm confused again:

Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.

The first condition should be OK for me since I did use my CSR card to pay for the tickets. Is the second condition only applied for example if a trip was delayed > 6 hrs and I need to pay for hotel/meals? Or does it also apply in my case of a tour package for the duration of my trip?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by manfurismojive
How about if I have purchased round trip air tickets through the chase travel portal (i.e. Expedia) and paid for using my CSR card, but everything else in between is a tour package and was paid for via international wire transfer to a touring agency? Would any of the travel benefits (trip interruption, delay, medical and emergency services, etc) apply or be reimbursed if something happened in between flying out and flying back? My initial reaction would have been no, but then I saw the bit below in the OP, so now I'm confused again:

The first condition should be OK for me since I did use my CSR card to pay for the tickets. Is the second condition only applied for example if a trip was delayed > 6 hrs and I need to pay for hotel/meals? Or does it also apply in my case of a tour package for the duration of my trip?
The part of the wiki you quoted is about Trip Delay, which covers meals/hotels if you're delayed by > 6 hours. I can say with great confidence you are covered if one of these flights you booked with the CSR is delayed or cancelled. You will not be covered if you are delayed while actually on your tour -- that would be the responsibility of the tour operator or you.

For Trip Cancellation/Interruption which covers the nonrefundable costs if you cancel your trip or leave early because of e.g. illness, I think you qualify but I'm not sure and have never used this coverage, perhaps others can chime in. "Trip Cancellation insurance reimburses you...up to ten thousand ($10,000.00) dollars for each Covered Trip if a Covered Loss prevents you...from traveling...Covered Trip means any pre-paid tour, trip or vacation when some portion of the cost for such travel arrangements...has been charged to your Account". I think as long as some of the travel arrangements are on the card, everything is covered. Note that this never pays for new tickets or medical expenses, it will just pay you the nonrefundable part of whatever you missed.

For Travel Accident Insurance, which is not the topic of this thread, there are two coverages for the CSR; one covers you while on a common carrier or on your way to/from the terminal (up to $1 million), the other covers you for up to 30 days on a 24-hour basis (up to $100k). They pay out cash in the event of loss of life, loss of limb, loss of eye, etc. according to a table. It doesn't cover normal medical problems.

For Travel and Emergency Assistance Services, also not the topic of this thread, you don't need to buy anything on the card, it's free for you as a cardholder 24/7. Note that while these assistant services are free, they are just referring you to local resources and you'll have to pay the provider directly. For example, they can give you the phone number of a local translator or an English-speaking doctor, or arrange for emergency transportation, but you're going to pay directly for all of those services.

Read the full guide from Chase: https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by manfurismojive

As noted above, the quote from the wiki relates specifically to Trip Delay, which pays for expenses incurred during a delay if you bought the plane ticket with your card. Your other tour package is irrelevant to that benefit since it's purely about Common Carrier delays.

For Trip Cancellation/Interruption (which mostly refunds prepaid nonrefundable expenses you can't use because of a cancellation or interruption), I'm 90% sure that as long as you paid part of the plane fare with your card, Chase will still cover prepaid nonrefundable hotels/tours/etc. even if you didn't pay for those with your card. There's nothing in the benefits guide that says you have to charge the expenses to the card, or that coverage is limited to the amount charged to the card. So, for example, if your flight gets canceled due to severe weather, I'm 90% sure Chase will cover your prepaid tour/hotel package (subject to applicable limits, proof of nonrefundability, etc.). There may be some outlier scenarios, though. For example, Chase covers financial insolvency of a tour operator, and I'm pretty sure if your airline went bankrupt they'd cover the whole trip. But if your hotel (which you didn't charge to the card) went bankrupt I'm not really sure if they'd cover it.

For Emergency Medical/Dental, you just have to charge the Common Carrier fare (i.e., plane ticket) to the card. The hotels and other stuff are irrelevant. Here's a thread I started on that: Chase Emergency Medical & Dental
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by themicah
As noted above, the quote from the wiki relates specifically to Trip Delay, which pays for expenses incurred during a delay if you bought the plane ticket with your card. Your other tour package is irrelevant to that benefit since it's purely about Common Carrier delays.

For Trip Cancellation/Interruption (which mostly refunds prepaid nonrefundable expenses you can't use because of a cancellation or interruption), I'm 90% sure that as long as you paid part of the plane fare with your card, Chase will still cover prepaid nonrefundable hotels/tours/etc. even if you didn't pay for those with your card. There's nothing in the benefits guide that says you have to charge the expenses to the card, or that coverage is limited to the amount charged to the card. So, for example, if your flight gets canceled due to severe weather, I'm 90% sure Chase will cover your prepaid tour/hotel package (subject to applicable limits, proof of nonrefundability, etc.). There may be some outlier scenarios, though. For example, Chase covers financial insolvency of a tour operator, and I'm pretty sure if your airline went bankrupt they'd cover the whole trip. But if your hotel (which you didn't charge to the card) went bankrupt I'm not really sure if they'd cover it.

For Emergency Medical/Dental, you just have to charge the Common Carrier fare (i.e., plane ticket) to the card. The hotels and other stuff are irrelevant. Here's a thread I started on that: Chase Emergency Medical & Dental
My understanding is that as long as part of one item on the same trip is paid with the card (and can be partially), that trip cancellation/interruption would apply.

I didn't need to teat this personally, but on my last trip, I paid for airfare with the wrong card instead of my CSR. In trying to find out if there was a way to get coverage (ie, Maybe by buying an ancillary from the airline like an economy plus seat) since the airline couldn’t change the card used, I was told, and supposedly confirmed with a supervisor, that because I had guaranteed the hotel on that same trip with my CSR card, the air travel would also be covered.

Again, I didn’t need it, so can’t test the theory with an actual claim, but that’s the information that was provided to me.
themicah and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Some reports on FB in EXP AA groups are suggesting applying for EU compensation and hotel reimbursements from airline and then claiming Hotel reimbursements from credit card too. Anyone tried that? Seems like that shouldn’t be allowed but not sure how much double checking they do behind the scenes?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
....Seems like that shouldn’t be allowed ....
It is not:

Trip Delay
Reimbursement is supplemental to, and excess of any valid and collectible avenue or recovery which is available to you, the eligible Cardholder. The Benefit Administrator will reimburse the excess amount once all other coverage has been exhausted up to the limit of liability. You shall do all things reasonable to avoid or diminish any loss covered by this benefit. This provision will not be unreasonably applied to avoid claims. If you make any claim knowing it to be false or fraudulent in any respect, no coverage shall exist for such claim and your benefits may be canceled. Each Cardholder agrees that representations regarding claims will be accurate and complete. Any and all relevant provisions shall be void in any case of fraud, intentional concealment, or misrepresentation of material fact by the Cardholder.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by mia
It is not:
However, sometimes it is inadvertent. I submitted for Chase reimbursement AND EU261 from Swiss. Chase came through, Swiss denied, but I pushed back on Swiss and they ultimately relented. But at that point the Chase claim had already been paid. Given the lethargy and uncertainty of EU261 compensation, I’m guessing this happens frequently.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:33 am

Yeah, it's called insurance fraud. If you got reimbursed for it, you didn't actually incur that expense. You probably won't get caught, but is it worth it for $100?

I agree it is a tricky situation when another party reimburses you months after the fact (and after the Chase window would have closed).

(N.B. the EUR 600 compensation part of EC261 wouldn't interfere, as that's just for your inconvenience. But if they reimburse you for hotel/meals and Chase does too, that would be double dipping.)
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Cancel flight due to work

Hi everyone, I’m sorry if this was already covered somewhere in this thread but I’d like to think I’ve done a fair amount of research on this before posting but unfortunately couldn’t find anything.

In short, I have a personal flight booked (non-refundable) on Delta, paid by my CSR and I have to cancel it due to work reasons. Essentially I have to be at another company location for a seminar at the same time and therefore won’t be able to take my trip as planned. Would this be considered a covered reason to request reimbursement for my flight?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ben21
.... I have to be at another company location for a seminar at the same time and therefore won’t be able to take my trip as planned. Would this be considered a covered reason to request reimbursement for my flight?....
No.

Click HERE See page 13:

What is not covered by Trip Cancellation insurance?
It does not apply to a Covered Loss caused directly or indirectly from:...

change in plans, financial circumstances, and any business or
contractual obligations applying to you, your Traveling Companion,
your Immediate Family Member, an Immediate Family Member of your
Traveling Companion
Bear in mind that your Delta ticket probably has some residual value for a year after the date it was purchased, even though it cannot be refunded. Ask Delta for the details of your specific fare.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Ah shucks. Oh well. Thanks though for the info! I will be calling Delta tomorrow.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
See if your employer will let you expense the change/cancellation fee.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Need Some Guidance

I skimmed through this thread and couldn't find the answer.

Booked a Condor flight on my Chase United Mileage Plus Card.

1) Due to fly out 09/12 8pm to FRA
2) Condor email me 09/12 9am to say flight pushed back 20 hours!
3) Called Condor and asked them to rebook me on a different carrier so I can get out on 09/12. Was told no.
4) Canceled ticket with Condor 09/12 11am and booked a more expensive flight on Turkish Airlines to MUC

Condor verbally said they will refund my ticket price, but the cancelation notice I received said $0 owing.

How should I proceed?

a) Should I claim the cost of the Condor ticket or the Turkish airlines ticket?
b) Can I claim the cost of the car rental to drive from FRA to MUC
c) I had to stay a night in MUC so paid for that as well.

I'm just trying to recoup some of my losts and looking for the path of least resistence.

Should I file an EC261 claim with Condor? I prefer not to as it will probably invalidate my trip insurance claim and they may take many months to reply if at all (their parent company filed for bankruptcy a few days ago!)

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:04 pm

Our return from Rome is delayed by two days because of a strike cancelling the first leg (flight) of our trip home. My scanning here has it look like we should have some trip delay coverage with CSP, correct? I have a screen shot of our flight on the list of cancelled flights: what else should I have in documentation of the reason? It's an Iberia mixed money-points award, the money paid on CSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.