Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed, for example by weather, mechanical, or missed connection. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my inbound. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Need more data on this.

Experiences:

• 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:
Print Wikipost

CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stan1162
You just put it exactly as what I have been trying to ask!! That's the answer I'm looking for. That is what trip insurance I have purchased in the past does. Covers all the parts.
The answer that I was given when I called them is in post #920 but we really need to hear from someone who has made a successful claim.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:29 pm

You're right.

[QUOTE=MADPhil;30933017]The answer that I was given when I called them is in post #920 but we really need to hear from someone who has made a successful claim.[/QUOTE

You're right, I missed that.

I usually purchase trip insurance for large, expensive trips. I have successfully filed claims in the past, and have never been declined a claim. I like to think it's because I have tried to pay particular attention to details and T's & C's and exactly followed the rules. That's what I'm trying to do here. I am booking either Galapagos or Antartica cruise this fall. Trip insurance is between $500.00 and 1,000.00 for those trips. I will pay for the cruise with my CSR. I will be covered up to $10,000 per person, trip cancellation/interuption.( final payment 120 days out). I will purchase pre/post cruise hotels with another card. And maybe the air with the CSR.

If my CSR covers these things, up to 40K max benefit per year, then no separate trip insurance needed anymore.

If anything goes awry, I guess I might be the 1st to post the answer to this question. If all non-refundable parts are covered, if only one part of the trip is paid for with the CSR.

But hoping nothing goes sideways.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Caveat Emptor

Just two reminders.

1, There is no official representative from Chase's Card Benefit Services who is providing definitive answers to questions. There are only presumably reasonably informed and well-meaning random internet guys/girls responding. Before making decisions that could affect your financial health, it really pays to call Chase's Card Benefit Services and get an unambiguous answer to questions.

2. When it comes to insuring for a claim due to health conditions, remember that pre-existing conditions are excluded in these card-supplied insurance packages.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I used to buy insurance then I decided to self insure but once I had the CSR it seemed as if it would cover a trip where the stay is paid for in cash when I paid for the flight with the card. I asked them this specific question and was told that it would. Since I have not had occasion to claim I can't confirm this from experience. I hope not to, and that you don't either!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:59 am

I started a claim in December, and they claimed it went to final review Jan 23. They just got back to me 3/26 claiming they need info I already emailed to a rep personally (my mistake knowing what I know now). I've uploaded the redundant info, wondering if they will try and tell me I have some 100 day clock to deny my entire claim even though they went over 60 days without responding?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I started a claim in December, and they claimed it went to final review Jan 23. They just got back to me 3/26 claiming they need info I already emailed to a rep personally (my mistake knowing what I know now). I've uploaded the redundant info, wondering if they will try and tell me I have some 100 day clock to deny my entire claim even though they went over 60 days without responding?
Was the email you sent to [email protected]?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by hightide
Was the email you sent to [email protected]?
All in all, I have uploaded all the info they've asked. I had emailed a rep earlier in January (rep@eclaimsline) as the uploading process they said could take a week and that personally emailing them would be faster (that was a lie) and different reps have told me several times since Jan that the claim is in final review with no further info required of me. Now, as of this week, two entire months later, they are saying they need a legible receipt for an expense of $5.xx and another one other under $50. So I uploaded those as well, thank goodness I saved them as they might try to use that as a reason to deny the entire claim, I have no idea as this is my first go round but the process isn't just slow, it's dishonest. They basically are holding up my $470 claim over less than $50 worth of expenses that they originally said they don't require receipts for as long as they can cross reference it with my CSR's monthly billing statement, which I provided back in December. They essentially wasted two months of time on items I've already sent in. I have no idea if they plan on doing the right thing.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:43 pm

I have an upcoming award flight and paid the taxes using my CSR card but the mileage program is not one Chase transfers to. I have seen conflicting information on whether I am covered or not when looking at the Chase website it says I may not be covered but on the Wiki here it says I am.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
I have an upcoming award flight and paid the taxes using my CSR card but the mileage program is not one Chase transfers to. I have seen conflicting information on whether I am covered or not when looking at the Chase website it says I may not be covered but on the Wiki here it says I am.
The rules are different for Trip Delay vs. Trip Cancellation/Interruption.

For Trip Delay, I can confirm that I booked an American Airlines ticket with AA miles, paid the taxes/fees on my CSR, and was covered by Trip Delay without any hassle.

Hope that helps!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hightide
I have read all the posts on this thread with regards to trip cancellation and interruption.

I looked at: https://www.eclaimsline.com/faq/ and would love to hear your input.

Under documents required for trip cancellation/interruption:

1. "Copy of the detailed original travel itinerary and/or the common carrier tickets (must reflect the total amount charged for the claimed trip)."

For instance, I'm flying JFK-BKK (stay for a few days)-LHR (stay for a few days)-JFK and my trip got interrupted in BKK for a covered reason. I bought one way JFK-BKK and one way BKK-LHR on non-Chase cards while LHR-JFK flight was booked using CSR. As I won't be claiming anything for the JFK-BKK and BKK-LHR flights, do I actually need to send my tickets and/or travel itinerary for these legs? (I imagine it might confuse the benefit rep) or would just sending the LHR-JFK flight itinerary suffice? -- I'm thinking the latter as total must reflect total amount charged for claimed trip but would love to hear your experiences.

2. "Copy of the updated travel itinerary and/or common carrier tickets"

What if we actually cancel the rest of the trip? In which case there would be no updated travel itinerary. Are we still required to submit anything for this statement?

So following my example above, if I cancel BKK-LHR-JFK travel, does the benefit administrator want me to prove how I'm going to get back from BKK-JFK?

Thank you everyone who wrote on this thread. I just got my claim approved so I would like to update.

1. The JFK-BKK and BKK-LHR tickets were never asked for. The LHR-JFK itinerary sufficed.
2. No and No.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
My Friend booked a chase UR trip for me and family, i need to cancel it due to medical reasons.
Is there anyway i can get it refunded?
AA & Jet Blue.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
My Friend booked a chase UR trip for me and family, i need to cancel it due to medical reasons.
AA & Jet Blue.
Unless you are related to the friend who bought the tickets (or they are travelling with you), I don't think so through Chase. The policy only covers family.

However, many airlines will waive (or refund) the change fee with a letter from a doctor and some refund the whole ticket if you can't travel within a whole year. With United it is policy with but JetBlue and AA it is not official, and there are mixed reports on FT of people getting the change fee refunded and people having no luck.

Worth a try through the airlines.
themicah and rocky_nnc like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
AA & Jet Blue.
I assume you mean the tickets were purchased using your friend's UR points? If it's a friend (and not a family member listed in the benefit guide) then I don't think Trip Cancellation would apply. If your friend helped you book the trip using your own UR points, however, you should be eligible.

From the airlines' perspective tickets bought with UR points are pretty much the same as those bought with cash, however. So if for some reason you booked refundable tickets (highly unlikely) the airlines should refund them (though I'm not sure exactly how refunds would work with UR points). And if they were nonrefundable, you may still be able to cancel and use any remaining credit (after deducting change fees, which can be pretty heavy) toward a different trip on the airline.
rocky_nnc likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:59 pm

Having a bit of a flight nightmare. I have come down with the stomach flu, but I'm still about a week out from a flight. I contacted a doctor and got a note excusing me from work for a few days on Sunday, but nothing more.

Through a miscommunication via FlightHub, they cancelled my flight instead of waiting to the last day - and now I am out of the flight as well as the cancellation fee. They are unable to restore the flight. I'm not sure what to do at the moment. The note only covers me until tomorrow, but I'm not feeling much better. I plan on seeing another doctor near the end of the week to re-evaluate my condition - if I will not be recovered by the time of the flight anyways, I will file a claim. Is there anything else that I can do?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by etcetc
Having a bit of a flight nightmare. I have come down with the stomach flu, but I'm still about a week out from a flight. I contacted a doctor and got a note excusing me from work for a few days on Sunday, but nothing more.

Through a miscommunication via FlightHub, they cancelled my flight instead of waiting to the last day - and now I am out of the flight as well as the cancellation fee. They are unable to restore the flight. I'm not sure what to do at the moment. The note only covers me until tomorrow, but I'm not feeling much better. I plan on seeing another doctor near the end of the week to re-evaluate my condition - if I will not be recovered by the time of the flight anyways, I will file a claim. Is there anything else that I can do?
If you are still sick and see a doctor again and get a second note, make sure it says they recommend that you don't fly.

You didn't say which airline, you might have luck with them too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.