Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Any recent DPs on the length of time between card approval and the IHG account updating? I'd like to take advantage of the current 5k promo when paying for two nights with the IHG card, but I can't register for that until the system sees me as a cardholder. (And if the promo isn't available, I'll likely book elsewhere.) Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:23 am

Thinking I need to apply for this card. I just started the card game since I'm starting a biz travel job and will be flying nearly every week across the Western US. Since Feb I've got the CSR and MPE cards, wife got the CFU. We've already gotten the bonuses for each, so I'm looking for the next card/bonus to work on.

It seems I have a couple of different offers available to me. The 60k/5k/$50SC $1k/3mo spend public offer obviously, but I also have one slightly different if I do a dummy booking. That route I see a 50k/5k/$100SC for a $2k/3mo spend. Which do you think is more valuable? 10k pts difference, $50SC, $1k more spend?

I don't currently stay at many IHG, but I could work them in when convenient over Hilton, which is primarily where we stay for work. Stays will be paid by company AMEX, so I'm really only looking for the bonus points, status, and annv night for occasional work stay or personal travel. No benefit to spending on it after the bonus period, but it seems like a no-brainer to have.

What do you guys think? I'm 3/24 with CSR and MPE, AU on CFU. I may have to move some CL around, but I'm confident to be approved otherwise. Any other Chase cards I should consider before I get 5/24?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by madmike283; Apr 25, 2017 at 8:55 am Reason: change CSP to CFU
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by madmike283
Thinking I need to apply for this card. I just started the card game since I'm starting a biz travel job and will be flying nearly every week across the Western US. Since Feb I've got the CSR and MPE cards, wife got the CSP. We've already gotten the bonuses for each, so I'm looking for the next card/bonus to work on.

It seems I have a couple of different offers available to me. The 60k/5k/$50SC $1k/3mo spend public offer obviously, but I also have one slightly different if I do a dummy booking. That route I see a 50k/5k/$100SC for a $2k/3mo spend. Which do you think is more valuable? 10k pts difference, $50SC, $1k more spend?

I don't currently stay at many IHG, but I could work them in when convenient over Hilton, which is primarily where we stay for work. Stays will be paid by company AMEX, so I'm really only looking for the bonus points, status, and annv night for occasional work stay or personal travel. No benefit to spending on it after the bonus period, but it seems like a no-brainer to have.

What do you guys think? I'm 3/24 with CSR and MPE, AU on CSP. I may have to move some CL around, but I'm confident to be approved otherwise. Any other Chase cards I should consider before I get 5/24?

Thanks,
Mike
IHG isn't subject to 5/24, so definitely get more valuable Chase cards before you get this one.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by madmike283
Thinking I need to apply for this card. I just started the card game since I'm starting a biz travel job and will be flying nearly every week across the Western US. Since Feb I've got the CSR and MPE cards, wife got the CFU. We've already gotten the bonuses for each, so I'm looking for the next card/bonus to work on.

What do you guys think? I'm 3/24 with CSR and MPE, AU on CFU. I may have to move some CL around, but I'm confident to be approved otherwise. Any other Chase cards I should consider before I get 5/24?

Thanks,
Mike
IHG is a great card just for the annual "free" ($49) night, but it's not subject to 5/24, so make sure you're happy with the 5/24 cards you have before you get IHG.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:28 am

Newly observed links for 80K + 5K offer with first-year AF waiver:
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Newly observed links for 80K + 5K offer with first-year AF waiver:
App link is dead
Old May 1, 2017, 6:41 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by D_C_B
App link is dead
Link now redirects to new current offer...

60K Points + 5K offer with first-year AF waived.

Direct Link Here: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/aepdefault
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA
I am seeing 50k points + $100 credit at dummy booking, I have not seen any successful matching to 80k, is that something Chase may do? I know there is 60k ->80k reports.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:51 am

Any recent data points of getting matched to the 80k offer?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Call the IHG customer service and tell them that you want to apply for their credit card, they will transfer you to Chase. That leads to the 80k offer (+5k for an AU) after $2k of spending. First year AF waived. That's how I applied last week. Approved.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by the188
Any recent data points of getting matched to the 80k offer?
Got matched to 80k via SM today morning. Approved for 60k last month.

Last edited by farmerandy; Jun 20, 2017 at 10:33 am Reason: add
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by farmerandy
Got matched to 80k via SM today morning. Approved for 60k last month.
Thanks. I Secured Messaged and was matched as well. I had the 60k and 5k for AU offer before. Not sure if they will give me the 80k and 5k as well or just 80k. Either way a win.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:01 pm

If I apply for this card and the Chase Hyatt card at the same time, will that minimize my hard pulls?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Bonus Points Issue

At the beginning of this year, I signed up for the IHG Chase card. The promotion was to receive 60,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. I hit the requirements for this, but never received the bonus points. After contacting Chase, they told me the promotion was for 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in the first 3 months, which is not what it said when I signed up.

I've been trying to escalate this through their online customer service, but to no avail thus far.

Has anyone run into this or similar issues? Any suggestions on how to get a satisfactory result?

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:55 am

There's a 10x IHG purchase instead of 5x offer going on right now with 60k/$1k spend + 5k AU + free annual night cert + 1st year AF waived as before

Any other recent DPs on 80k/$2k match?

I'm thinking the best way to apply is get the 50k/$2k + $100 credit offer then try to get matched to 80k/$2k while retaining the $100 credit

or

Apply for the 10x offer above and try to retain the 10x while getting matched to 80k/$2k.

Tempting to get this and Hyatt at the same time, though I should hold out for better Hyatt offers.

Last edited by pstrider85; Jul 2, 2017 at 4:11 am Reason: Formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.