Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:48 am

Data Point: Approved and Matched

Just adding I was approved for the IHG Card and matched to the 80K offer. Well over 5/24 and received an instant approval. the match was granted following the sending of a secured message. Relevant text from the response below:

We understand that you have received a new enrollment
bonus offer of 80,000 reward points. Please understand
that this offer does not include a $50.00 statement
credit. However, if you wish to have the $50.00 statement
credit re-billed to the account, we would then be able to
add the additional 20,000 reward points to match the
80,000 reward points offer.

Please contact us back once you have met the spending
requirement and to approve the statement credit re-bill
and we will be happy to process your request at that time.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by corpgator
What is IA?
Instant approval.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:35 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by flyer4512
A few months ago they were matching and you received Diamond until 3/2017.

I got Diamond for myself, my wife and my dad
Depends on when you matched as terms changed after they got flooded with requests.

I matched IHG Plat to Hilton Diamond back in May 2016 and my email states expiration of March 2018 with no strings (stays) attached. They never even asked for IHG stay activity at that time. ^
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:46 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by NewYork12126
Just adding I was approved for the IHG Card and matched to the 80K offer. Well over 5/24 and received an instant approval. the match was granted following the sending of a secured message. Relevant text from the response below:

Are you a 1st time IHG CC holder? Just wondering because for those looking to receive the bonus offer (60K-80K) multiple times (aka churning) the 24-month rule will still apply to the last time your bonus was received. You can surely get accepted for the IHG CC sooner but you'll be disappointed when the bonus doesn't come through as expected.

I received my 80K bonus on 11/19/15 so i'll probably close my account next year around Sept., reapply in Oct. and start in the running for another bonus. I won't need the CC status next year anyways since I earned Spire Elite through stays this year. Just be sure to have an active CC account if you are going to use Reward Nights so you get the 10% point rebate. :-:
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Tony300S
Depends on when you matched as terms changed after they got flooded with requests.

I matched IHG Plat to Hilton Diamond back in May 2016 and my email states expiration of March 2018 with no strings (stays) attached. They never even asked for IHG stay activity at that time. ^

I'm not sure of the exact date but it was around May 2016 that I received our matches. I think there was an earlier match that I missed, maybe that one gave 3/2018 ?

It's not really a big deal as I know the people at the Hotel we stay at in Florida ( I tip well) and they give us all the Diamond bennies as a gold going on a decade.

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 21, 2016 at 1:04 am
Old Sep 21, 2016, 1:00 am

Are you a 1st time IHG CC holder? Just wondering because for those looking to receive the bonus offer (60K-80K) multiple times (aka churning) the 24-month rule will still apply to the last time your bonus was received. You can surely get accepted for the IHG CC sooner but you'll be disappointed when the bonus doesn't come through as expected.

I received my 80K bonus on 11/19/15 so i'll probably close my account next year around Sept., reapply in Oct. and start in the running for another bonus. I won't need the CC status next year anyways since I earned Spire Elite through stays this year. Just be sure to have an active CC account if you are going to use Reward Nights so you get the 10% point rebate. :-:
It's 24 months from when you RECEIVE the bonus so if you apply again in 10/2017 you would be too early and Chase would deny you the card. If your bonus posted 11/19/205 I would wait until 12/20/2017 just to be sure as you never know how Chase calculates the date

My brother messed up his records the same way, his last IHG bonus posted 8/12/2014 but he went by the day he opened the card in June 2014. He was denied on his 7/2016 application and the letter said the reason was because he received the bonus within the past 24 months

He reapplied last week ( 9/13/16 , 25 months after the bonus posted) and was approved

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 21, 2016 at 1:09 am
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:00 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyer4512
It's 24 months from when you RECEIVE the bonus so if you apply again in 10/2017 you would be too early and Chase would deny you the card. If your bonus posted 11/19/205 I would wait until 12/20/2017 just to be sure as you never know how Chase calculates the date

My brother messed up his records the same way, his last IHG bonus posted 8/12/2014 but he went by the day he opened the card in June 2014. He was denied on his 7/2016 application and the letter said the reason was because he received the bonus within the past 24 months

He reapplied last week ( 9/13/16 , 25 months after the bonus posted) and was approved
I see what you're saying, I understood it as bonus to bonus date 24-months not bonus to new card app 24-months since you wouldn't qualify for the new bonus until you meet the spend limit. No big deal I guess, Thanks for the input. ^
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:49 am

I see what you're saying, I understood it as bonus to bonus date 24-months not bonus to new card app 24-months
It's important to read the actual T&C of the Chase offers, which are very clear on this point: you are ineligible for the bonus if you apply less than 24 months after receiving a bonus for the same card.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:29 pm

how soon does the IHG points (60K + 5K AU) post for you guys?

i have already met my $1K minimum spend, statement has already closed, and i have already paid off my first statement's balance. but i still dont see the 60K in my IHG rewards account?

i also did ask for the 20K match, and didnt see that being reflected either although Chase SM does acknowledge that i wanted that bc they have already reverse the $50 credit i got with my original offer
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by gnomey
how soon does the IHG points (60K + 5K AU) post for you guys?

i have already met my $1K minimum spend, statement has already closed, and i have already paid off my first statement's balance. but i still dont see the 60K in my IHG rewards account?

i also did ask for the 20K match, and didnt see that being reflected either although Chase SM does acknowledge that i wanted that bc they have already reverse the $50 credit i got with my original offer
You really have to meet the spending about 10 days before your billing cycle cut off otherwise the computers wont catch it and you'll get your points the next billing cycle. That's with my experience on several chase cards.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:34 am

My 20k matched a couple of days after my 60k hit. Chase asked me to reach out after I met the minimum spend, which I did and it posted rather quickly.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
You really have to meet the spending about 10 days before your billing cycle cut off otherwise the computers wont catch it and you'll get your points the next billing cycle. That's with my experience on several chase cards.
i see, thanks for explaining. that could be why then. i just checked - i hit the $1,000 spend goal one day before the statement cuts. maybe that is why the computer didnt catch it. i guess i will wait patiently for another month then

Originally Posted by brodielayne
My 20k matched a couple of days after my 60k hit. Chase asked me to reach out after I met the minimum spend, which I did and it posted rather quickly.
thanks - i guess it make sense that the +20K will not appear before the 60+5K appear, even though i already got SM confirmation. oh well, wait for another month...
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by NewYork12126

Please contact us back once you have met the spending
requirement and to approve the statement credit re-bill
and we will be happy to process your request at that time.

When did you apply for this card? I was approved around aug 25
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:04 am

I just logged into my account and see that I am listed as Platinum Elite now that the card was approved. I also see a link for the 80k offer, so I saved a pdf copy and sent it along to Chase for the upgrade.

The link looks pretty generic and opening it in an incognito window brings up the offer. Does anyone know if this is a personalized link? It's pretty similar to the 3rd listed landing page above: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...KX&F4SP=Y71UH0

If it's not personalized, I will add it here so it can be added to the wiki.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by corpgator
I just logged into my account and see that I am listed as Platinum Elite now that the card was approved. I also see a link for the 80k offer, so I saved a pdf copy and sent it along to Chase for the upgrade.

The link looks pretty generic and opening it in an incognito window brings up the offer. Does anyone know if this is a personalized link? It's pretty similar to the 3rd listed landing page above: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...KX&F4SP=Y71UH0

If it's not personalized, I will add it here so it can be added to the wiki.
The link isn't personalized--but the 80K offer is. You saw it only because you were logged in; I'm seeing a 60K offer, even when in Private Browsing mode.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.