Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dadofsix
...saying that his account doesn't have that offer (which makes absolutely no sense anyway since it's a new cardholder offer, not something that current cardholders would even have access to)...
Perhaps they are referring to his IHG account.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Perhaps they are referring to his IHG account.
I doubt that's what they were referring to, as from my experience Chase and IHG seem to do minimal information sharing (maybe due to privacy issues). However, if they did mean his IHG account, then they would be mistaken since the mail offer was sent from IHG Rewards Club itself and it was good through 8/31/17 (and he even provided a copy of the offer). Oh well, 80k points still isn't bad....
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
I'm in the same boat. Did your welcome bonus actually show up on your Chase statement? I see the welcome bonus points on the Chase statement (along with monthly spend and AU bonus), but the welcome bonus has not shown up in my IHG account -- just the monthly spend and AU bonus.
I'm in a similar situation. The statement indicates that the AU 5k points and 100k bonus points were transferred to IHG. But only the AU 5k points and the regular spend points transferred. The 100k wasn't transferred to my IHG account. I SM'd Chase and the response just said it can take up to 30 days. I had never had this happen before. I would expect that since it is on the statement, it would arrive with all the other points. Have you received the bonus points yet?

Update: the 100k bonus points posted 2 days later!

Last edited by druryvanek26; Aug 18, 2017 at 6:04 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: MR Platinum, HH Gold
I applied using the 80k link for 1k spend, and THREE days later, I received a targeted e-mail for 100k for 2k spend. I already purchased a ticket for 1k for my trip in October, and I was about to spend the remaining 1k on flights. I SM'd Chase and they told me my original offer only had 80k points, and they would not be able to upgrade it to my offer. I asked them the recourse, should I just close the card and then reopen? There's no guarantee that I'll get the 100k bonus, if they are going to count my previous card. I asked for the supervisor, who reiterated my terms that I had applied for 80k and that she apologizes that I got my targeted e-mail. She said she would pass on my feedback. I guess I'll use the other 1k on my CSP, so at least I can get double points.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:02 pm

Thought I missed the 80K offer again for this card since public links are now dead, but I managed to find a targeted email offer.

Last edited by mrstraveler; Aug 21, 2017 at 1:10 pm
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Orion_1
Points from credit card spend DOES count towards Elite Status, signup bonus does not however. From my account:

Elite Qualifying Points Earned: 2,720 of 75,000 for Spire Elite

Description Total Earned Elite Qualifying Points
RC DINING 440 pts. 0 pts.
IHG REWARDS CLUB CREDIT CARD 2X BNS PTS 1,482 pts. 1,482 pts.
IHG REWARDS CLUB CREDIT CARD BASE PTS 1,238 pts. 1,238 pts.
That is correct. In my case, even the 20k match counts toward elite status.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:53 pm

I was approved for the card on August 18. How long before my status updates from Club to Platinum Elite.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by harwich
I was approved for the card on August 18. How long before my status updates from Club to Platinum Elite.
It usually gets done within a couple of weeks.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by vgtest1980
It usually gets done within a couple of weeks.
It took months in my case. Chase tried to help to no avail, saying there was nothing they could do unless it still hadn't happened after 12 weeks (which was about how long it took). Talking with IHG is never recommended unless you really want to cry. All customer contact seems offshored. I've just learned you have to be very patient with everything related to this company. They're nothing like the other lodging groups.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Carl
Talking with IHG is never recommended unless you really want to cry.
Thanks. I can't stand company's that think they're doing you a favor by letting you do business with them.
Tony300S likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by harwich
Just one week. I received the card today(8/25) and my status also updated to Platinum Elite this morning.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:10 am

I've had my IHG card for 2 yrs now and thinking of applying for it again. I've paid AF after the first year, but have yet to bet billed for AF for the second year. Free night had already showed up in my IHG account.

Here's my plan:
1. Cancel my current IHG card before AF is billed. I believe the free night will stay in the account.
2. Apply for a new card in a couple of weeks with an 80k bonus.

Are there any potential problems with the plan?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
I've had my IHG card for 2 yrs now and thinking of applying for it again. I've paid AF after the first year, but have yet to bet billed for AF for the second year. Free night had already showed up in my IHG account.

Here's my plan:
1. Cancel my current IHG card before AF is billed. I believe the free night will stay in the account.

Looks good.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:31 am
RNE

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684

Here's my plan:

Since you said "any," yes, the potential problem is that Chase will deny your application. They don't state or need any reason to make that denial (quote below). I'm not saying this is likely, simply a "potential" outcome.

Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program.
Source: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe..._type=appterms
That wouldn't stop me from reapplying.

Please let us know how it goes.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
So I signed up for the 60k offer, and had them match the 80k. They deposited the 20k difference in my account. What I was not expecting was for those points to be elite qualifying points. Spire, here I come!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.