Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Ritz-Carlton Rewards card

The new VISA Infinite version is discussed HERE.
In August 2016 Chase refreshed this card.
This thread is a continuation of discussion archived here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...idated-71.html

Best public available offer:
Two free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect

Three free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $5k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ritzcarlton/aep3CN
I edited link and replaced "2CN" with "3CN" and now it shows offer of 3 free nights, $450 AF and $5K spend.
__________________________________________________ _____________

$300 Annual Travel Credit
"Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more. Simply use your card for these expenses and call us at 1-855-896-2222, and we will refund the charges after your flight."

Actual T&C language, as of 08.22.15:"Only the following types of non-ticket Net Purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees."

As of 1/2/2015, Credit for these charges are based on TRANSACTION (purchase) date, not posting date. If you made an eligible purchase before the end of the year, even if it doesn't post until the following year, you can still receive credit for the previous year. See post #1268

DO NOT attempt to get all $300 in one transaction. Most CSRs will question what incidental charge would be so high. Instead, get multiple smaller gift cards which line up with fees that airline charges. Make sure that whatever amounts you choose, you have an explanation ready for each. For example, AA overweight baggage fee is $150. $50 is first checked bag for 2 ppl. $75 is in the range of upgrade fees, etc.

Please start a list of what charges have and have not been reimbursed.

Reimbursed:
F9 Award Fees $33.60
Admirals Lounge Meal $26
B6 Flight $96.20 x 2
Volaris Flight $82 x 4 (reimbursed for $300)
WN gift card $25
Seat upgrade to first- it was a bit of a challenge because they showed up as new tickets. I offered to have them look at another Chase card that had the original tickets, but the agent admitted, "$2xx.xx seems low for a round trip on United," and processed the refund.
Reimbursed for the $200 reactivation fee for expired AAdvantage miles. Oops... I mean I got reimbursed for $200 in AA seat upgrade fees
AY bag fees. Paid to AY in EUR, reimbursed in USD at amount shown on stmt.
AA seat upgrade fees. NOTE: these were oddball amounts, not even numbers.

Not Reimbursed:
AA Gift Cards
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card (2016 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
This is funny, my experience has been exactly the opposite. I was a SPG loyalist until I signed up for the 140k Ritz Card, now I channel my stays to Marriott/Ritz properties unless I'm trying to hit a bonus somewhere else. I also put most of my spend on this card unless I'm working towards another minimum spend. I originally got the card just for the bonus points, but I'm actually strongly considering keeping it for an extra year and paying the annual fee just because of how much I love this card.
I love all these stories. My loyalty was with the Intercontinental Ambassador program - but guaranteed suite point redemptions are not possible, and I found this frustrating. I've moved to Fairmont where suite (or gold a.k.a. club) upgrades are a large part of the rewards. And Ritz-Carlton. But - no more RC. After stays at some US properties, I feel it isn't even close to being a luxury hotel (I'm thinking of Four Seasons and Shangri-La as comparison, but Fairmont and IC as well). Some of the properties are mass market tourist factories (Half Moon Bay, scenic as it is) and Denver was a horrific experience. The dining (SF is an exception. Parallel 37 is outstanding!) is sub-par for the price point. I hope to burn through my Ritz points and move on.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I value points earned on this card at the value of a Rapid Rewards points since I'm just saving up to redeem for the Nights and Flights option. Each additional point I earn will just be towards getting the larger mileage package.
That's how I see it as well: when you're in the right range for the travel packages, 1 Marriott point = 1 airline mile. I plan on transferring to United so there's the 10% bonus too. And of course the 10% annual bonus as well.

So nowadays my Ritz card is my main card for restaurant spend: 2x Marriott miles + 10% annual bonus + 10% United transfer bonus = 2.42 United miles per dollar spent. No other credit card comes even close to that earning rate for United miles from restaurant spend (the next best would be the CSP at 2.00).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
All Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card offers [Consolidated]

How is one Marriott Point one United mile?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:08 pm

Data point: Chase reimbursed me full $300 for my airline elite status buy in. Requested via SM "other" category. I wasn't too specific when requesting it.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by mk712
That's how I see it as well: when you're in the right range for the travel packages, 1 Marriott point = 1 airline mile. I plan on transferring to United so there's the 10% bonus too. And of course the 10% annual bonus as well.

So nowadays my Ritz card is my main card for restaurant spend: 2x Marriott miles + 10% annual bonus + 10% United transfer bonus = 2.42 United miles per dollar spent. No other credit card comes even close to that earning rate for United miles from restaurant spend (the next best would be the CSP at 2.00).

I think you're quoting the inverse of the Marriott united ratio. It's 24,000 Marriott for 10,000. So effectively 0.42 united points per non category dollar spent. Do I ever wish the opposite to be true. I'd punt the United Club card in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... when you're in the right range for the travel packages, 1 Marriott point = 1 airline mile.
Originally Posted by blitzen
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
I think you're quoting the inverse of the Marriott united ratio.
Spend some time studying these charts:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Notice that as you move from left to right in any row redeeming 20,000 additional Marriott points returns 20,000 additional airline miles (22,000 if you choose UA).

Last edited by mia; Jan 14, 2016 at 12:49 pm
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:38 pm

hi mia

this chart is only relevant if you redeem for hotel nights in addition to flights, right? if that's the case the transfer ratio has a large hurdle for folks who are looking for pure play convertibility similar to what we enjoy with SPG right now.

I was looking at this:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:50 pm

Data point: Chase reimbursed me full $300 for my airline elite status buy in. Requested via SM "other" category. I wasn't too specific when requesting it.

SIAP, but has anyone had any luck using the $300 for 500-mile upgrades from American's website?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by mia
Quote:

... when you're in the right range for the travel packages, 1 Marriott point = 1 airline mile.

Quote:

Quote:

I think you're quoting the inverse of the Marriott united ratio.

Spend some time studying these charts:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

Notice that as you move from left to right in any row redeeming 20,000 additional Marriott points returns 20,000 additional airline miles (22,000 if you choose UA).
After the original 200k + for 7 nights and 55k miles maybe but it still doesn't make it 1 : 1 ( unless you work for the government creating budgets)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
this chart is only relevant if you redeem for hotel nights in addition to flights, right?
Correct, Marriott is a hotel company.

After the original 200k + for 7 nights and 55k miles
It depends whether you think the hotel week is worth 150,000 + points. If you don't think the hotel stay is fairly priced, or if you don't stay for an entire week at one location, it's not a strategy you would pursue. That doesn't invalidate others' arithmetic.

In any event, I am not advocating this strategy, merely explaining the context in which others (who do value the hotel redemption) see that incremental spending can generate miles at $1 => 1 mile with Marriott/Ritz cards. This is not the best forum in which to debate the value of Marriott hotel redemptions.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by imd102
SIAP, but has anyone had any luck using the $300 for 500-mile upgrades from American's website?
Yes, they're considered upgrade fees.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:45 am

Now 1 month past my anniversary date and no sign of an annual fee. CL is $1400 which got my initial annual fee refunded but I expected the annual fee with renewal. Will hold on to the card until the AF shows up.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:35 pm

Has anyone had experience getting a ticket purchase reimbursed. I am looking at using my $300 credit to help pay for a Qantas flight.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 1:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ND_Fan_470
Has anyone had experience getting a ticket purchase reimbursed. I am looking at using my $300 credit to help pay for a Qantas flight.
If the ticket is over $300, I'd say slim chance. A $45 WN flight, I'd say no problem.

I've gotten a UA ticket reimbursed, it was under $175 though.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:21 pm

With my CL being only $1000, I want to still meet the 4k spend asap. Will Chase raise my CL or shut my account down if I charge $500 or so, pay it off, then repeat? I know in the past Chase has shut down accounts for large amounts charged at the beginning of a cycle and paid off before the statement posts. I wonder if smaller $500 charges would be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.