FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card (2016 onward)
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:16 pm
FrenchLaundry

Programs: IC Spire Amb, RC Plat, Shangri-La GC, and more.
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
This is funny, my experience has been exactly the opposite. I was a SPG loyalist until I signed up for the 140k Ritz Card, now I channel my stays to Marriott/Ritz properties unless I'm trying to hit a bonus somewhere else. I also put most of my spend on this card unless I'm working towards another minimum spend. I originally got the card just for the bonus points, but I'm actually strongly considering keeping it for an extra year and paying the annual fee just because of how much I love this card.
I love all these stories. My loyalty was with the Intercontinental Ambassador program - but guaranteed suite point redemptions are not possible, and I found this frustrating. I've moved to Fairmont where suite (or gold a.k.a. club) upgrades are a large part of the rewards. And Ritz-Carlton. But - no more RC. After stays at some US properties, I feel it isn't even close to being a luxury hotel (I'm thinking of Four Seasons and Shangri-La as comparison, but Fairmont and IC as well). Some of the properties are mass market tourist factories (Half Moon Bay, scenic as it is) and Denver was a horrific experience. The dining (SF is an exception. Parallel 37 is outstanding!) is sub-par for the price point. I hope to burn through my Ritz points and move on.