Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Ritz-Carlton Rewards card

The new VISA Infinite version is discussed HERE.
In August 2016 Chase refreshed this card.
This thread is a continuation of discussion archived here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...idated-71.html

Best public available offer:
Two free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect

Three free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $5k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ritzcarlton/aep3CN
I edited link and replaced "2CN" with "3CN" and now it shows offer of 3 free nights, $450 AF and $5K spend.
__________________________________________________ _____________

$300 Annual Travel Credit
"Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more. Simply use your card for these expenses and call us at 1-855-896-2222, and we will refund the charges after your flight."

Actual T&C language, as of 08.22.15:"Only the following types of non-ticket Net Purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees."

As of 1/2/2015, Credit for these charges are based on TRANSACTION (purchase) date, not posting date. If you made an eligible purchase before the end of the year, even if it doesn't post until the following year, you can still receive credit for the previous year. See post #1268

DO NOT attempt to get all $300 in one transaction. Most CSRs will question what incidental charge would be so high. Instead, get multiple smaller gift cards which line up with fees that airline charges. Make sure that whatever amounts you choose, you have an explanation ready for each. For example, AA overweight baggage fee is $150. $50 is first checked bag for 2 ppl. $75 is in the range of upgrade fees, etc.

Please start a list of what charges have and have not been reimbursed.

Reimbursed:
F9 Award Fees $33.60
Admirals Lounge Meal $26
B6 Flight $96.20 x 2
Volaris Flight $82 x 4 (reimbursed for $300)
WN gift card $25
Seat upgrade to first- it was a bit of a challenge because they showed up as new tickets. I offered to have them look at another Chase card that had the original tickets, but the agent admitted, "$2xx.xx seems low for a round trip on United," and processed the refund.
Reimbursed for the $200 reactivation fee for expired AAdvantage miles. Oops... I mean I got reimbursed for $200 in AA seat upgrade fees
AY bag fees. Paid to AY in EUR, reimbursed in USD at amount shown on stmt.
AA seat upgrade fees. NOTE: these were oddball amounts, not even numbers.

Not Reimbursed:
AA Gift Cards
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card (2016 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
With my CL being only $1000, I want to still meet the 4k spend asap. Will Chase raise my CL or shut my account down if I charge $500 or so, pay it off, then repeat? I know in the past Chase has shut down accounts for large amounts charged at the beginning of a cycle and paid off before the statement posts. I wonder if smaller $500 charges would be an issue.
When I first got my CSP, my limit was just a tad over $5,000 and I recycled it at least once in the first month (non MS, a lot of abnormal expenses that month). They then doubled my limit the next month.

I guess I'm trying to say that there is a chance they will auto CLI you to something more in line with your spending. I also don't really see a problem with recycling the credit line. As long as you pif, I don't think they care.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by United747
When I first got my CSP, my limit was just a tad over $5,000 and I recycled it at least once in the first month (non MS, a lot of abnormal expenses that month). They then doubled my limit the next month.

I guess I'm trying to say that there is a chance they will auto CLI you to something more in line with your spending. I also don't really see a problem with recycling the credit line. As long as you pif, I don't think they care.
Thank you for the info! I really don't care if they raise my CL as long as they don't then charge me the AF. My first statement already posted so I'm hoping I'm out of the woods on that.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
this chart is only relevant if you redeem for hotel nights in addition to flights, right? if that's the case the transfer ratio has a large hurdle for folks who are looking for pure play convertibility similar to what we enjoy with SPG right now.
Yes, I did start my post with "when you're in the right range for the travel packages", for this to make sense you need:
  • to be in the range for travel packages (so at least 200k),
  • to want to redeem your points for a travel package in the first place (which in my opinion is a no brainer as far as value goes, but I realize staying 7 consecutive nights in the same hotel may not fit everyone's travel plans).

Originally Posted by blitzen
After the original 200k + for 7 nights and 55k miles maybe but it still doesn't make it 1 : 1 ( unless you work for the government creating budgets)
It does. As mia pointed out, a travel package that is 20k Marriott points more expensive yields 20k more airline miles (22k if United).

And actually, if you break down any of the travel packages, you'll see that the formula they use to calculate the price is:

Award redemption price (if booking hotel separately) + number of airline miles = price of the travel package

For example, let's take the cheapest one: 200k for 7 nights at a cat 1-5 hotel and 20k airline miles. If you book 7 nights at a cat 5 hotel it would cost you 7 x 30k - 30k (5th night is always free) = 180k + 20k miles = 200k. Same math can be done with any of the packages.

Worded another way: if you plan on redeeming your points for a 7+ night stay at a Marriott / Ritz property, any excess points (between 20k and 90k, with thresholds) can be transferred to most airlines at 1:1 (with a 10% bonus for United).

So as I said, at least for me (and others sharing my goal), the Ritz card is currently my best card for restaurant spend thanks to its 2x earning rate. It's the only reason it's been used a lot these past few months, which I hope will also increase my chances of getting a retention offer when I cancel next month.

Last edited by mk712; Jan 16, 2016 at 1:57 am
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Called in and got a $1000 flight ticket credit the full amount. The guy didn't even ask me details. Just "would you like to use the full $300?" I thought he was being sarcastic for a minute there.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 2:43 am

CL auto increased from $1000 to $2000 on Jan. statement cut.

weird, AF still didn't posted yet.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
AA Award Taxes were denied reimbursement. Might be an isolated incident? THis is what they sent:

One of the many benefits of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card
is to receive a statement credit for airline incidentals
up to $300 per calendar year (January 1 - December 31).
Only the following types of non-ticket purchases qualify
to receive credit for the Airline Incidental Credit
benefit offered on this card:

? Airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge
membership of your choice
? Airline seat upgrades
? Airline baggage fees
? In-flight internet/entertainment
? In-flight meals
? Global Entry fees

The credit cannot be applied to:

? Taxis/subway/car rental/airport parking
? Airline gift card purchase
? Airline ticket purchases, including award booking fees,
taxes related to a ticket purchase or pet cabin/flight
fees
? Ticket cancellation fees
? Duty free shops
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by airb330
AA Award Taxes were denied reimbursement. Might be an isolated incident? THis is what they sent:

One of the many benefits of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card
is to receive a statement credit for airline incidentals
up to $300 per calendar year (January 1 - December 31).
Only the following types of non-ticket purchases qualify
to receive credit for the Airline Incidental Credit
benefit offered on this card:

? Airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge
membership of your choice
? Airline seat upgrades
? Airline baggage fees
? In-flight internet/entertainment
? In-flight meals
? Global Entry fees

The credit cannot be applied to:

? Taxis/subway/car rental/airport parking
? Airline gift card purchase
? Airline ticket purchases, including award booking fees,
taxes related to a ticket purchase or pet cabin/flight
fees
? Ticket cancellation fees
? Duty free shops
Just call in. There is absolutely no wait time. Just call them airline fees and 95% of the time they'll reimburse it.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by st0ne
CL auto increased from $1000 to $2000 on Jan. statement cut.

weird, AF still didn't posted yet.
I'm still hoping my CL doesn't auto increase. My card was opened in December. First statement posted on Jan 12 with no CL increase. I'm hoping that they won't charge the AF past the first statement.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
I'm still hoping my CL doesn't auto increase. My card was opened in December. First statement posted on Jan 12 with no CL increase. I'm hoping that they won't charge the AF past the first statement.

My first statement just cut with the AF posted on it. I haven't downgraded it yet as I've had purchases that were pending (+travel). Once that's cleared I'll get it lowered to $1500.

Here's to hoping that the AF is refunded even though the first statement already closed.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by hiima
Just call in. There is absolutely no wait time. Just call them airline fees and 95% of the time they'll reimburse it.
+1

I SM'ed for 2 $100 change fees, Chase did not reimburse. Called in, was reimbursed immediately.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by IronWolf
+1

I SM'ed for 2 $100 change fees, Chase did not reimburse. Called in, was reimbursed immediately.
The SM reps are sometimes useless, one time they thought I wanted to dispute a transaction for airline fee reimbursement.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/Marriott Gold/RCCL D+/Celebrity Elite/Princess Elite
Looks like Gift Card purchases from Delta are now being coded as such... called in for reimbursement and was told purchase was coded as gift card and that they couldn't reimburse.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs
Looks like Gift Card purchases from Delta are now being coded as such... called in for reimbursement and was told purchase was coded as gift card and that they couldn't reimburse.
Sucks, but at least you're proving wrong to those who say Chase will never deny a reimbursement if you call in, so thanks for the data point.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
The SM reps are sometimes useless, one time they thought I wanted to dispute a transaction for airline fee reimbursement.
it happend to me, too.....
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by terresawang
it happend to me, too.....
Haha, I outlined exactly what I wanted done and they responded back asking me for the information I already gave them. That's when I started call in and never looked back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.