Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Ritz-Carlton Rewards card

The new VISA Infinite version is discussed HERE.
In August 2016 Chase refreshed this card.
This thread is a continuation of discussion archived here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...idated-71.html

Best public available offer:
Two free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $4k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit...n/naepredirect

Three free nights at any tier 1-4 Ritz Carlton Hotel after $5k spent. Annual fee of $450 NOT waived.
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ritzcarlton/aep3CN
I edited link and replaced "2CN" with "3CN" and now it shows offer of 3 free nights, $450 AF and $5K spend.
__________________________________________________ _____________

$300 Annual Travel Credit
"Make the most of your trip with a $300 annual travel credit to use for baggage fees, Global Entry fees, seat upgrades, access to your preferred airport lounge and more. Simply use your card for these expenses and call us at 1-855-896-2222, and we will refund the charges after your flight."

Actual T&C language, as of 08.22.15:"Only the following types of non-ticket Net Purchases qualify for this offer: airline lounge day pass, or towards a yearly lounge membership of your choice; airline seat upgrades; airline baggage fees; in-flight internet/entertainment; in-flight meals; Global Entry fees."

As of 1/2/2015, Credit for these charges are based on TRANSACTION (purchase) date, not posting date. If you made an eligible purchase before the end of the year, even if it doesn't post until the following year, you can still receive credit for the previous year. See post #1268

DO NOT attempt to get all $300 in one transaction. Most CSRs will question what incidental charge would be so high. Instead, get multiple smaller gift cards which line up with fees that airline charges. Make sure that whatever amounts you choose, you have an explanation ready for each. For example, AA overweight baggage fee is $150. $50 is first checked bag for 2 ppl. $75 is in the range of upgrade fees, etc.

Please start a list of what charges have and have not been reimbursed.

Reimbursed:
F9 Award Fees $33.60
Admirals Lounge Meal $26
B6 Flight $96.20 x 2
Volaris Flight $82 x 4 (reimbursed for $300)
WN gift card $25
Seat upgrade to first- it was a bit of a challenge because they showed up as new tickets. I offered to have them look at another Chase card that had the original tickets, but the agent admitted, "$2xx.xx seems low for a round trip on United," and processed the refund.
Reimbursed for the $200 reactivation fee for expired AAdvantage miles. Oops... I mean I got reimbursed for $200 in AA seat upgrade fees
AY bag fees. Paid to AY in EUR, reimbursed in USD at amount shown on stmt.
AA seat upgrade fees. NOTE: these were oddball amounts, not even numbers.

Not Reimbursed:
AA Gift Cards
Print Wikipost

Ritz-Carlton Rewards Card (2016 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by gpen1827
You win at creative screennames. ^ Please tell me you're based in KIX/ITM.

Is there a difference between applying for this card first versus the Marriott one? (Trying to get in as many Chase cards as I can at this point.)
I got the 140k offer on ritz card in Jan 2015. I don't have Marriott card yet:-( Just signed up CSP on Feb 1st.

Honestly I've been using this screenname for over 15 years:-) Hattoriheiji is based on KIX/ITM, I am not:-) Tiny tiny difference makes it unique:-)
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum
Can someone explain the Credit Limit decrease request and effect on AF? I've had the card for just over 1YR and my AF posted and my payment is due on 3/1/16. What do I do about the CL and will it take my AF away? Or what options do I have to get the AF waived? Or do I just close it before the 3/1 date and not owe anything? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by maza918
Can someone explain the Credit Limit decrease request and effect on AF? I've had the card for just over 1YR and my AF posted and my payment is due on 3/1/16. What do I do about the CL and will it take my AF away? Or what options do I have to get the AF waived? Or do I just close it before the 3/1 date and not owe anything? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
There is legislation stating that the annual fee of a credit card cannot be above a certain percentage of the credit limit. You can search the exact wording of the legislation if you'd like. Chase had seemingly programmed their systems with extra margin to be in compliance with the law. So lowering the CL has resulted in a refund of the AF for many. However, mostly this have been for the first year of card membership. In that this is your second year of membership it will be YMMV. There have been mixed reports of 2nd year AF refunds.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
There is legislation stating that the annual fee of a credit card cannot be above a certain percentage of the credit limit. You can search the exact wording of the legislation if you'd like. Chase had seemingly programmed their systems with extra margin to be in compliance with the law. So lowering the CL has resulted in a refund of the AF for many. However, mostly this have been for the first year of card membership. In that this is your second year of membership it will be YMMV. There have been mixed reports of 2nd year AF refunds.
any idea of how low you have to go?

i had the annual fee due last week, and the CL was 10K, they wld only let met shift 8.6K to another card, leaving the RC at 1.4K.

i just paid the fee, and now on hold with Chase Executive line, the rep transferred the $400 for me, now leaving just 1K.

I can't imagine they'd let you go much lower than 1K?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
any idea of how low you have to go?

i had the annual fee due last week, and the CL was 10K, they wld only let met shift 8.6K to another card, leaving the RC at 1.4K.

i just paid the fee, and now on hold with Chase Executive line, the rep transferred the $400 for me, now leaving just 1K.

I can't imagine they'd let you go much lower than 1K?
1K will do it for sure. I believe someone said earlier that they weren't charged the AF on a $1500 CL.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner
1K will do it for sure. I believe someone said earlier that they weren't charged the AF on a $1500 CL.
Correct
$1500 did it for me

But beware. Reports are showing that the trick doesn't work in year two unless it's a carryover from year one.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Correct
$1500 did it for me

But beware. Reports are showing that the trick doesn't work in year two unless it's a carryover from year one.
Are there recent reports that show definitely the trick still works for the first year? I am new to the forum and have been following the thread (but a bit sporadically) and it seems there are conflicting evidences, so just wanted to confirm. Thank you!
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by wwhh85
Are there recent reports that show definitely the trick still works for the first year? I am new to the forum and have been following the thread (but a bit sporadically) and it seems there are conflicting evidences, so just wanted to confirm. Thank you!
I did it last month. Lowered to $1500. I had them transfer the limit to another chase card.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:08 pm

I did it last month. Lowered to $1500. I had them transfer the limit to another chase card.
Thanks for the DP! how long did it take for the annual fee to be refunded? And did you SM to ask about moving CL?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 4:13 pm

Looks like public offer is $4k spend instead of 3k spend now.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by wwhh85
Thanks for the DP! how long did it take for the annual fee to be refunded? And did you SM to ask about moving CL?
I called to move the limit. It took about a week to see the credit post.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:43 pm

Correct
$1500 did it for me

by year two, are you referring to the second time the fee is billed?

this is the first time the fee has been charged, so the commencement of year two, end of the first year?

what's the general consensus if the fee has been paid? mine was paid with a CL of $1,400, and i had the CL dropped further to 1K the day after the fee was paid.

any chance of a retrospective credit?

Last edited by Tim O'Brien; Feb 29, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:33 am

by year two, are you referring to the second time the fee is billed?

this is the first time the fee has been charged, so the commencement of year two, end of the first year?

what's the general consensus if the fee has been paid? mine was paid with a CL of $1,400, and i had the CL dropped further to 1K the day after the fee was paid.

any chance of a retrospective credit?

From what I've seen is that it's working when the limit drop is done in the first year, i.e. Before the first anniversary. I would speculate that this maybe linked to the card act and how certain things cannot be done in year one (for example with Amex you can't PC from a non AF card to an AF card in the first year).

In your situation, if your first year's AF was waived and you were just charged for year two I don't know if it will work but please keep us posted either way.

Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:18 am

From what I've seen is that it's working when the limit drop is done in the first year, i.e. Before the first anniversary. I would speculate that this maybe linked to the card act and how certain things cannot be done in year one (for example with Amex you can't PC from a non AF card to an AF card in the first year).

In your situation, if your first year's AF was waived and you were just charged for year two I don't know if it will work but please keep us posted either way.

Thanks
my annual fee was billed on Feb 1, i had the CL decreased to $1,400, during Feb prior to paying the account on the 28th.

i'm thinking it's unlikely i'll see a credit.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:16 pm

my annual fee was billed on Feb 1, i had the CL decreased to $1,400, during Feb prior to paying the account on the 28th.

i'm thinking it's unlikely i'll see a credit.

If that's the case I hope you had the opportunity to shift the limit. In rant case you can eventually get chase to move it back. Assuming that you're going to keep it with the AF intact

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.