Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
We Are Way Beyond Average

Ever wondered when you call a bank about your cc accounts, why they say something like "thanks for being such a good customer"?

Because this:

"Here's how much the average Amex, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover owners spend per month

Different credit-card holders spend differently.

People who use American Express as their primary card spend the most per month on average — around $1,687, according to a chart published by Morgan Stanley's Cheryl Pate.

Meanwhile, those using Visa, Discover, and MasterCard as their primary cards spend less than half that amount — at $843, $737, and $639 per month on average, respectively."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-...200912417.html

The average spend per year on a Visa is @$10K. I've spent that much on a AA EXEC card in a single week, over and over again.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
I've gotten somewhere around 25 ccs in the past 24 months, have 4 open cards with Chase, and just got approved for a Marriott without calling in. It did take @7 days to get the approval, but then they gave me a $25K CL. On the other hand, my DW, who has fewer HPs than myself, is in week 3 of waiting to find out if she will be approved. It's extremely YMMV....
Called the auto line today for DW's Marriott app. She was just cleared by the Fraud Dept 2 days ago, but despite the app having been done 2 weeks earlier, all she was told was it was now going to some other department to be considered for approval.

After 2 weeks of calling the auto line @every 3 days, and always getting the message of "we'll let you know in around 2 weeks", which the wiki says is the positive language, today it said "7 to 10 days", which the wiki indicates means she will probably be denied. If so, that's the end of us doing spend on her basically useless Chase cards ie IHG, where the spend will never be enough for a single free night.

We've been spending on every one of her Chase cards every month, just to keep getting approvals. If Chase isn't going to approve any more cards for her, I don't really see any point in spending anything on most of her current Chase cards. Citi TYPs Premier, SPG, $10K a year on her Citi HH Res, all are more lucrative cards for both everyday spend and MS than anything Chase offers. Other than INK, which despite her very real full time business, Chase refuses to give to her.

So if she is indeed not given the Marriott, which now seems likely, the only card she is keeping open when the AF comes due is the CSP, which we will both use to transfer our UR point to airline programs (I closed my CSP, before the new policy started, expecting to get another one). And she will keep her Freedom open, since there is no fee, but will only spend on quarterly bonus categories.

All of her business spend, that would have gone to an INK card, will now go to her new SPG business card. Everything that would have gone on her CSP will now go to the superior Citi Premier. IHG, UA, and BA, that would have gotten regular monthly spend to keep a good relationship with Chase won't get a penny of spend, and will be canceled as soon as the fee hits. If not sooner....
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:47 pm

So if she is indeed not given the Marriott, which now seems likely, the only (Chase) cc card she is keeping open when the AF comes due is the CSP, which we will both use to transfer our UR point to airline programs.
Upon further review, she will keep the IHG open, as the annual free night anywhere is well worth the $49 AF. But we're not going to be wasting any spend on it. I wonder if this is the result Chase was hoping for with this new policy.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:55 pm

Called the auto line today for DW's Marriott app. She was just cleared by the Fraud Dept 2 days ago, but despite the app having been done 2 weeks earlier, all she was told was it was now going to some other department to be considered for approval.

After 2 weeks of calling the auto line @every 3 days, and always getting the message of "we'll let you know in around 2 weeks", which the wiki says is the positive language, today it said "7 to 10 days", which the wiki indicates means she will probably be denied. If so, that's the end of us doing spend on her basically useless Chase cards ie IHG, where the spend will never be enough for a single free night.
Once you get a decision, please report on whether or not it conforms to the wiki speculation.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:24 pm

What is the earliest the first statement date could be after card approval with Chase?
I want to apply for SW cards to get the Companion Pass in early 2016. Ideally the closing date would be in early October so that I could complete the spend in Mid December and get all the points in 2016.
Worst case would be a statement date still in September which would foil the plan.
Of course if I wait too long the 50K offers may go away.
Thanks for any insight on timing this for an early October first closing date.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by AugustWest
What is the earliest the first statement date could be after card approval with Chase?
I want to apply for SW cards to get the Companion Pass in early 2016. Ideally the closing date would be in early October so that I could complete the spend in Mid December and get all the points in 2016.
Worst case would be a statement date still in September which would foil the plan.
Of course if I wait too long the 50K offers may go away.
Thanks for any insight on timing this for an early October first closing date.
Not always but most of the time in my experience, my first closing date for a new Chase card is one month minus one day from my approval date.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Once you get a decision, please report on whether or not it conforms to the wiki speculation.
Of course, and hopefully I will be able to report that it is occasionally wrong.

But right now I'm in a Star Wars "I've got a bad feeling about this" mood.

Not just the 7 to 10 days language, but waiting 2 weeks to even do the fraud id check, and now saying 'we'll let you know around a month after you applied'. Her last several Chase apps were simple "do you want to add your cell # to this?" type of easy Recon calls.

I just need to remember the wiki does say "usually", not "always".
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:44 pm

Data point: 4 new cards in the past 24 months, plus 1 AU account. I figured no guts no glory, and applied for a CSP. Received 7-10 day language and opted to phone in. I spoke with a perfectly cordial rep who told me that this is a "hard decline" for "too many applications in the last 2 years." When I asked about the AU, she told me that since I have access to that credit, it counts as a new account. No amount of explaining seemed to change this thinking.

Data point #2: Applied for the card for my husband, who held this card for 2 years and downgraded to a Freedom about 6 months ago, hoping to churn it when his 2 years hit. He only has 3 new accounts in 24 months, automatic approval with a significant credit line.

Both of us have high FICO scores, a banking relationship with Chase, respectable income, and were not bumping up against max credit lines (though I suspect he is now).
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:03 pm

Hi! I've been lurking for awhile but wanted to submit my data points:
In the past year I've opened (and not yet closed) 6 cards, last one was August 21. I then applied for the Hyatt 9/10, got the "we will contact you in writing" blah blah blah. Called automatic status line a few hours later, said the "two weeks" line, then a couple days ago it changed to "you should be receiving your card in the mail…" and I received my approval email today. My husband's Hyatt application was exactly the same process except he's only had 4 cards opened in the past year.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:32 pm

My mom was just automatically approved for a United card having nine inquiries on exp in the last two years and opening seven cc accounts. She had no history with Chase besides being an au on my dad's slate and csp.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:28 am

I got turned down for a United Business Card because they said my company revenue was too low as I just have a small sole proprietorship. Is there any way to contest this reasoning for the rejection?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:12 pm

At the end of August I applied for a Chase BA card. I got the "please call in" screen at the end of my application. I fell for it and called. I was ruthlessly grilled by the rep, placed on hold many times and ultimately denied for too many apps in the past 2 years. Even though my credit score is 815, no debt and I offered to move credit or close my SW card, she would have none of it and suggested I didn't use my SW card enough! (ouch!)

On Sept 10, 2015 I applied for the Chase UA card for my husband. At the end of the application it said he would receive notice by mail in 7-10 business days.

I just called the automated line for him and it said he will be notified within 2 weeks.

When I logged on to his Chase account, there is a credit card listed at the bottom with no info as to what card it is, other than the last 4 digits. There is no credit limit or name. No clue what that is. Maybe a new UA card that has yet to be given a CL?

I will let you know.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 6:33 pm

datapoints: all apps 9/17/15

Me, Chase BA Visa. Hard decline; too many inquiries. 21+ in 24 months, 6 in 6 months. 831 Fico (barclays). Currently have UA Explorer (low limit, no credit to move)and 2 Inks. $2000 in Chase checking.

Wife, Chase UA Explorer. Instant approval with $24,000 line! 13+ inquiries in 24 months, 7 in 6 months. Currently has only 1 Ink. No bank accounts. 765 Fico (barclays).

EDIT: Wife BA Visa. Instant Approval with $24,000 line! Figured she might as well hit that hard pull again!

EDIT #2: Me, Hyatt Visa. Instant Approval with $24,000 line! Second app of the day. Bizzarro world at Chase! Should I call back to reconsideration and request some of this silly line be used for the approval of declined BA card or would that be poking the bear?

Last edited by Denver Enzo; Sep 17, 2015 at 7:10 pm Reason: Did chase dual apps today.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
does two apps to Chase in one day combine as one Hard Pull?

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
datapoints: all apps 9/17/15

Me, Chase BA Visa. Hard decline; too many inquiries. 21+ in 24 months, 6 in 6 months. 831 Fico (barclays). Currently have UA Explorer (low limit, no credit to move)and 2 Inks. $2000 in Chase checking.

Wife, Chase UA Explorer. Instant approval with $24,000 line! 13+ inquiries in 24 months, 7 in 6 months. Currently has only 1 Ink. No bank accounts. 765 Fico (barclays).

EDIT: Wife BA Visa. Instant Approval with $24,000 line! Figured she might as well hit that hard pull again!

EDIT #2: Me, Hyatt Visa. Instant Approval with $24,000 line! Second app of the day. Bizzarro world at Chase! Should I call back to reconsideration and request some of this silly line be used for the approval of declined BA card or would that be poking the bear?
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tinker25
does two apps to Chase in one day combine as one Hard Pull?
It depends. Pulls are combined not by the bank, but instead by the CRA--but only if the pulls appear to come from the same entity. Even a slight difference in the names of the requesting entities, which is typical for personal vs. business card apps, will prevent the inquiries from being combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.