Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 3:19 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Some of us are trying to separate the multiple reasons for denials.
The wiki should not include speculation. And if it does, it should be identified as such.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, AA peon
A while back, when I logged into my Chase credit card account, a Chase ad exhorted me to apply for the Freedom, promising nice rewards. I thought Chase specifically wanted my business with that card, followed through with the application, and was promptly denied for the too many cards in 24 months reason. I then belatedly found and started following this thread. It helped to know that it was not just I who had encountered this problem.

I have learned much, but I am disturbed by how contentious this thread becomes and how personal and disrespectful the commentary gets at times. Can we not all get along? Are we not all on the same side? No matter your personal perspective and whether you write in the first person or third person, it's all just speculation and educated guesswork, presuming no Chase insider is here violating his company's presumed policies by publicly sharing his company's proprietary and confidential practices.

I love that I have found this forum full of bright and passionate people with shared interests. The level of personal sniping is increasingly disheartening.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by goldgirl

I have learned much, but I am disturbed by how contentious this thread becomes and how personal and disrespectful the commentary gets at times. Can we not all get along? Are we not all on the same side? No matter your personal perspective and whether you write in the first person or third person, it's all just speculation and educated guesswork, presuming no Chase insider is here violating his company's presumed policies by publicly sharing his company's proprietary and confidential practices.

I love that I have found this forum full of bright and passionate people with shared interests. The level of personal sniping is increasingly disheartening.
Well said. And, if you haven't heard this yet: "Welcome to Flyertalk".

Sadly, I was just turned down for the Hyatt Card. Chase is our regular bank and I do have IHG, WN, Freedom, and Slate with them already. Inquiries was the reason given. Said he could not speak to number of cards. I also advised I could rearrange CLs. Declined me anyway.

I tell ya, when there is a rejection, there is a strange feeling that comes over oneself. Got that feelin' now. Will give it a few days and will call the reconsideration line.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by barschools
It seems to me that anyone who has reached their max overall CL with Chase would need to reduce their credit lines in order to get approved for a new card regardless of whether they are rewards seekers or not.

Correct as this was the best way to get auto approval in the past.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconY

If the OP is correct and absolutely everything else was completely identical then this must have been the likely thing that made him stand out as more of a risk than his wife.

No, I was just pointing out that with our similar apps for both my wife and I then odds are the results should have been similar. Meaning we should MOST likely either both get auto approved or both sent to pending.
The credit line had nothing to do with my denial as I had pointed out in my previous post. I had specifically asked about the credit line perhaps being over the limit and willing to shift it around. Rep said my CL was fine and ONLY reason I will not get the Chase BA card was because I had too many cards applied and issued to me within the past year. He didn't say how many was too many though.
That's the reason I said getting a Chase co branded card is most likely YMMV. Not only will it depend on the Chase rules, but also a little bit of luck.
If you could afford a hard pull, I would still go for it though.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
Sharka may have typed the same info into the app, but they are not the same applicant with the same credit report.. kind of funny to think that sharka seems to think that.

There are and always will be other factors that go into a credit decision but specifically the 5 app rule doesn't apply for co-brand cards and I don't see any evidence pointed out that that is untrue.

Sorry but No, I never said the apps for both of us were the same app. This would only be true if wife and I had applied for a joint card. I only said Most of the info were same as we share same house, same phone , total household income, etc
Difference is name, SSN, DOB and email and these are the most important info on any app.

As to the co branded cards not being affected well, my data and at least 1 or 2 others just in the past few weeks have reported otherwise. It's still a small number based on people who have bothered reporting it. Who really knows how many others got declined but didn't bother to report it. Remember some people just don't like posting negative news especially if it's about themselves.

Can't really blame them now as some just like to jump on them if they report it.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:25 pm

First Post because I'm usually just a lurker on here. However, here is my tale of Chase woe.

Just started the "card hobby" this year but I've been a Chase cardholder since 2006. I opened up a Marriott card in November of last year and a Ritz in early February...that's it, a total of 3 Chase credit cards, one of which I cancelled when I opened the Ritz.

I attempted to apply for the Hyatt card this past week and was given the "Thank you for applying..." response. Called in for an immediate review, told the rep that I travel a lot for work and wanted to start staying at Hyatt on certain trips. She asked me why I was seeking credit right now, and that I had just opened a card in February with them. I explained again that I have to expense work trips and this would be a great card for travel. She took another long break to review, then came back and responded that she could not give me anymore credit at this time. I asked if we could reallocate funds from my other Chase cards so that I could open this card. She again said that they were not willing to open any more accounts with me right now.

I applied for a Citi ThankYou card the next day, then a Citi HHonors card two days later...was approved for both.

When I received my "rejection letter" from Chase in the mail, it stated that I had "too many credit inquiries" on record and "too many accounts". I have a total of seven credit cards (including the two new Citi cards) and they had my FICO at 760.

For me, I'll not be wasting anymore hard pulls on Chase.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by BrownChickenBrownCow
I applied for a Citi ThankYou card the next day, then a Citi HHonors card two days later...was approved for both.
2 Citi cards in 2 days...highly unlikely. Only allowed 1 in a 7 day window
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes
I tell ya, when there is a rejection, there is a strange feeling that comes over oneself. Got that feelin' now.
Second that, its like being told to go sit in the quiet chair when you didn't actually do anything wrong
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Really? That's news to me...seeing how I just did it last week. Already received my Premier ThankYou card (had it expedited), my Hilton card should be here in a few days (HHonors was already updated with Silver status).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:44 am
RNE

Just started the "card hobby" this year but I've been a Chase cardholder since 2006. I opened up a Marriott card in November of last year and a Ritz in early February...that's it, a total of 3 Chase credit cards, one of which I cancelled when I opened the Ritz.

I attempted to apply for the Hyatt card this past week and was given the "Thank you for applying..." response...I asked if we could reallocate funds from my other Chase cards so that I could open this card. She again said that they were not willing to open any more accounts with me right now...I received my "rejection letter" from Chase in the mail, it stated that I had "too many credit inquiries" on record and "too many accounts".
That's odd. The dogma clearly states the limit is 5 cards in 24 months.

More dogma.

Really? That's news to me...seeing how I just did it last week. Already received my Premier ThankYou card (had it expedited), my Hilton card should be here in a few days (HHonors was already updated with Silver status).
That's dogma for you.

RNE, congratulating BrownChickenBrownCow for his Citi success.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was the case for years and years (yes, there used to be "2 on the same day" exception, but that was the only exception for years and years, and that exception went away some time back). The 7 days was mentioned in Citi denial letters.

Something seems to possibly have changed at Citi recently. Yours is not the only report of "accidental" success with shorter spacing, but there are not yet enough data points to be sure that everyone can get by with 1 day apart of whatever.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNE
That's odd. The dogma clearly states the limit is 5 cards in 24 months.
Once again, you're accusing others of "dogma", but you yourself keep mixing rejection reasons when it's convenient for your bashing of other people, and then separating them when it's convenient for a point you want to make.

Since when is it news that Chase can deny someone for "too many inquires"? AFAIK, every bank has a limit of inquiries beyond which it won't approve you (though the actual limit at most banks is hard to discern, and in any case it may vary from one person to another or even over time for the same person). At Citi the most common limit is 6 hard inquiries (on which bureau they checked) in the past 6 months (though the number may vary for some people). That comes from Citi rejection letter wording. I'm not aware of any other bank putting the specifics in rejection letters, which is why it's hard to be as specific about other banks.

This was a Hyatt card, so the fact that was denied for another reason doesn't conflict with the 5 (or so) cards opened in 24 (or so) months theory for UR cards. It was actually therefore just another piece of evidence for the theory that non-UR cards are typically denied for some other treason, only UR cards are denied specifically for the 5 (or so) cards opened in 24 (or so) months reason.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 am

When I received my "rejection letter" from Chase in the mail, it stated that I had "too many credit inquiries" on record and "too many accounts". I have a total of seven credit cards (including the two new Citi cards) and they had my FICO at 760.
How many inquiries in 6 months / 2 years on the bureau they pulled?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:05 pm

Data Point: Applied for Marriott card on 7/27. Checked automated line daily and always got "2 weeks" response other than one time getting a "30 days" response. Currently have 5 personal and 2 business Chase accounts. Within the last 24 months, I have opened Chase United, Chase SW Pers Prem, Chase SW Bus Prem, Amex PRG, Amex Everyday Pref, Amex Gold Bus, 5 of the 6 having been opened since January of this year. I have also been added as an AU on just as many accounts that my wife has opened in the past 24 months. I intended to avoid calling recon this time around because I figured it may hurt my chances with the new policies in effect and seeing other people's experiences, but since it kept indicating 2 weeks on the automated line, I couldn't resist the temptation and called recon today. The rep was very nice and just asked me to verify home ownership status, mortgage payment, employment and income. He asked if I was requesting that they extend my credit lines or not and if I would be willing to consider lowering the limit of one of my other cards that is not being utilized much. I told him I would be fine with that (tried to play down my enthusiasm, ). He put me on hold briefly to look things over and do a "judgmental review" and came back with an approval after shifting credit around. Probably one of the most pleasant recon calls I have ever had to be honest. My recon call to get my Ink Plus in 2012 was absolutely brutal.... So there is definitely not a hard cap at 5 new accounts in the last 24 months for the Marriott card although I feel like I was just barely getting by for approval. I do have low 800s scores though and sufficient income, so I thought they would at least give it some consideration. Glad I bit the bullet and applied and glad I got impatient and called recon. Hope this helps someone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.