Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:16 am

Just applied for the United Biz MileagePlus Explorer Card. It went pending. I called the number listed in the wiki and it said they will notify me in 2 weeks. Now is this part of the Wiki still hold true:

"note: automated line responses stating they will notify you in 2 weeks often result in an approval; automated lines responses stating they will notify you in 7-10 days often result in a denial."

Basically should I even bother calling into recon or let it take its due course?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by best
Any recent experiences with how to overcome the following: with 800 FICO and no prior Chase problem: apply for a Chase card; Chase pulls your credit; several days later they advise that due to "previous unsatisfactory experience " it was turned down. You call and Chase refuses to provide any reason. You ask your Chase branch Manager to call and Chase card refuses to give her any reason.
Is this what they call "black balling."
I just got this phrase (or something very similar) on a letter in the mail regarding a recent Chase card I applied for. Anyone ever find out what they may be referring to?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: SW,SPG,Hyatt
Originally Posted by DeaconY
So the only difference is the fact that you actively reduced your credit lines at some point before the application. Possible that Chase took note and viewed this negatively somehow; perhaps they consider it a trait of a a rewards seeker. Personally, I don't know of any non-churner/MSer that actively calls and asks to reduce their credit lines. In general a higher credit line is a good thing for a consumer who doesn't carry a balance.
It seems to me that anyone who has reached their max overall CL with Chase would need to reduce their credit lines in order to get approved for a new card regardless of whether they are rewards seekers or not.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:50 am
RNE

Originally Posted by sharka
Like I said, both our applications are nearly identical with the same income given on both our apps (we use the combine total household annual income) also like I said my total CL with chase is actually less than wife's by about $8000 as I had them reduce it 3 mths back. And my Fico score is better also. I was declined for a Chase co branded BA card while she was approved, so yes, it's definitely YMMV with Chase as logic would say I should be approved instead of her
Like I said both our apps were identical in every way except the , Name, DOB and SSN and email address were the only info that's different.
Yet the wiki prominently perpetuates that myth about co-branded cards: "but not United, Hyatt, IHG, etc." No mitigation whatsoever in that paragraph.

Starting in May 2015, Chase began denying applications for its own branded cards (e.g., Sapphire Preferred, Freedom; but not United, Hyatt, IHG, etc) if the applicant's credit report shows that she or he opened more than 5 credit cards in the past 24 months. [emphasis added]
This thread's wiki is a travesty.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:22 am

Data point:

Applied today for British Airways and Ink Cash. I have 2 new accounts in the last 60 days, 4 more within 90 days, and 4 more going out to 6 months. Experian credit score 790 and high 6 figure income. Chase gets most of our everyday non-bonus spend.

British Airways app said to call a number. After answering my security/ID questions (DOB, SSN) I was approved for $27k. No other questions asked.

Ink Cash was ultimately denied. App also said to call in. The analyst said he was trying to approve it, but couldn't find a way with business too new. No mention of recent applications or new account.

I'm happy. I didn't expect Ink approval, but I'm going to apply at every AOR. I figure at some point, they might be feeling generous.

Now my wife on the other hand...I'd love to get her a Freedom or CSP. Those look much tougher, but we will try on her next AOR.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
But therein lies the rub....

Originally Posted by barschools
It seems to me that anyone who has reached their max overall CL with Chase would need to reduce their credit lines in order to get approved for a new card regardless of whether they are rewards seekers or not.
Only someone within this hobby would understand maximum credit availability with a particular card company and understand the need to lower overall credit limits in order to get additional cards.

Also, most normal people don't apply for multiple cards with the same bank every year or two. You have to look at the situation from the perspective of the bank as they court typical credit card customers. I have to believe that it is a red flag when they run into a hyper-educated customer. I absolutely believe it is in everyone's best interest to be an educated consumer; but most people don't spend free time on credit card and frequent flyer forums/blogs to understand the nuance of credit card application procedures and tricks.

Most people apply for a new credit card when they need one...got a new job that will require some travel on United....maybe I should get a United card. Moved and changed banks, maybe I should get a credit card with my new bank.

We are the outliers in the spectrum of credit card users. I believe that the more you make yourself look like an outlier, the more likely you will stand out as a potential risk to the bank from a rewards seeking/abuse standpoint.

If the OP is correct and absolutely everything else was completely identical then this must have been the likely thing that made him stand out as more of a risk than his wife.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Nick311
I just got this phrase (or something very similar) on a letter in the mail regarding a recent Chase card I applied for. Anyone ever find out what they may be referring to?
my wife recent got this phrase for Marriott card. Calling chase went nowhere. I've no idea why this happened.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by RNE
Yet the wiki prominently perpetuates that myth about co-branded cards: "but not United, Hyatt, IHG, etc." No mitigation whatsoever in that paragraph.

Sharka may have typed the same info into the app, but they are not the same applicant with the same credit report.. kind of funny to think that sharka seems to think that.

There are and always will be other factors that go into a credit decision but specifically the 5 app rule doesn't apply for co-brand cards and I don't see any evidence pointed out that that is untrue.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
Very interesting thank you for the data point. Must be some other metric in the equation!
Some other metric, yes. Like the entirety of your credit report for the last 10 years or so... so more like dozens or hundreds of metrics.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:46 am
RNE

Originally Posted by starbuk
There are and always will be other factors that go into a credit decision but specifically the 5 app rule doesn't apply for co-brand cards and I don't see any evidence pointed out that that is untrue.
Huh? The wiki should contain statements that are found to be true—not ones yet to be found "untrue."

How about this? "Starting in May 2015, Chase began denying applications for its own branded cards (e.g., Sapphire Preferred, Freedom) and possibly cobranded cards (United, Hyatt, IHG, etc) if the applicant's credit report shows too many opened cards. This amount may be 5 credit cards in the past 24 months.

Will the Cabal allow even theses modest and entirely reasonable modifications? No. Every attempt to make changes is summarily undone. It is not a wiki. It's a manifesto!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:56 am

Yes the conventional wisdom of that in this thread and blogs I read is dead wrong. I tried to make that point a few days ago regarding my unexpected Marriott denial. I think clearly the new metrics now apply to other cards than the Chase branded ones, though it is not clear whether it is all of them yet. If you can manage an automatic approval (which I never get since I have a fraud alert on my credit report) you are fine but if you get flagged it looks like the too many cards open mantra will be applied to your decision and likely denial. Anyway I just received the dreaded letter and it noted three points (though in my phone conversation only the too many cards past two years was mentioned as the ultimate reason for denial and refusal to allow me to reallocate credit line): max CL reached, too many cards opened, Chase card opened recently (had gotten IHG a couple months prior). Other than than, FICO over 800, Freedom card open longer than I can remember and several other banks' cards for as long or longer, and several decades of perfect credit history. And first denial from Chase ever. So.... unless I remove my fraud alert, lower my CL and wait long enough to give it another whirl (assuming that the too many cards open last 24 months does not automatically trigger a denial unless there are other additional issues) I think more likely I am done with Chase other than my Freedom and IHG. And I am looking more closely at other banks now. I, like many others of you I assume, do actually spend significant money on my cards beyond bonuses and while I'm sure I am a much less profitable customer than say your average Joe who has a card or two and pays interest every month and maybe an annual fee. "Rewards seekers" spend more money on average on their credit cards than others I am sure. I do think the strategy could backfire if Chase overreaches and gets more stringent than other banks. Maybe they would do better with some carrots than sticks. Turning away and pissing off and alienating creditworthy customers (one example: I have a mortgage with them and this makes me less likely to want to choose them if I move or refi) might be less effective than say, offering some incentives for ongoing use of cards instead of just monster bonuses that incentivize people to move on to the Next Big Thing. Amex does a great job of this and Barclays also has offered some nice targeted bonuses that made me shift spend onto their cards. Chase has been good to me in the past but has made plenty off me too so if they want a divorce now there are plenty of other eligible candidates out there more worthy of my affection...

Originally Posted by RNE

Last edited by gil123; Jul 31, 2015 at 12:01 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by gil123
Yes the conventional wisdom of that in this thread and blogs I read is dead wrong. I tried to make that point a few days ago regarding my unexpected Marriott denial. I think clearly the new metrics now apply to other cards than the Chase branded ones, though it is not clear whether it is all of them yet. If you can manage an automatic approval (which I never get since I have a fraud alert on my credit report) you are fine but if you get flagged it looks like the too many cards open mantra will be applied to your decision and likely denial. Anyway I just received the dreaded letter and it noted three points (though in my phone conversation only the too many cards past two years was mentioned as the ultimate reason for denial and refusal to allow me to reallocate credit line): max CL reached, too many cards opened, Chase card opened recently (had gotten IHG a couple months prior). Other than than, FICO over 800, Freedom card open longer than I can remember and several other banks' cards for as long or longer, and several decades of perfect credit history. And first denial from Chase ever. So.... unless I remove my fraud alert, lower my CL and wait long enough to give it another whirl (assuming that the too many cards open last 24 months does not automatically trigger a denial unless there are other additional issues) I think more likely I am done with Chase other than my Freedom and IHG. And I am looking more closely at other banks now. I, like many others of you I assume, do actually spend significant money on my cards beyond bonuses and while I'm sure I am a much less profitable customer than say your average Joe who has a card or two and pays interest every month and maybe an annual fee. "Rewards seekers" spend more money on average on their credit cards than others I am sure. I do think the strategy could backfire if Chase overreaches and gets more stringent than other banks. Maybe they would do better with some carrots than sticks. Turning away and pissing off and alienating creditworthy customers (one example: I have a mortgage with them and this makes me less likely to want to choose them if I move or refi) might be less effective than say, offering some incentives for ongoing use of cards instead of just monster bonuses that incentivize people to move on to the Next Big Thing. Amex does a great job of this and Barclays also has offered some nice targeted bonuses that made me shift spend onto their cards. Chase has been good to me in the past but has made plenty off me too so if they want a divorce now there are plenty of other eligible candidates out there more worthy of my affection...
I completely agree with your sentiments and its exactly what has happened to me. I always was loyal to Chase in my spending because of their generosity in sign-up bonuses. People tend to favor people who favor them. I now rarely put any spending on Chase and have switched to Barclay + Amex as my primary place I put non-category bonus spend. I have rarely used those banks in the past even though I have several cards with each, but I am forced to out of loathing to do business with a bank that does not want to do business with me.

And Amex and Barclay are both pleased to get my business and as I am with them. Glad my mortgage was recently sold by Chase to another bank!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:27 pm

I applied for a Hyatt Card yesterday, and didn't get instant approval. My credit score is high, and I have two other Chase cards at the moment. One of them is a card I've had for several years. I've had the other for almost a year, and was hoping to cancel before the annual fee hits. I cancelled a third Chase card several months ago. All are/were co-branded cards.

After I hit submit, it told me to call to verify some information. I'm not going to. The email I received just said they would make a decision in 30 days.

I've gotten 3 new cards in the past year, and 3 in the year before that, so I agree that it might be difficult to get co-branded cards from Chase now too.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by mareh
I applied for a Hyatt Card yesterday, and didn't get instant approval. My credit score is high, and I have two other Chase cards at the moment. One of them is a card I've had for several years. I've had the other for almost a year, and was hoping to cancel before the annual fee hits. I cancelled a third Chase card several months ago. All are/were co-branded cards.

After I hit submit, it told me to call to verify some information. I'm not going to. The email I received just said they would make a decision in 30 days.

I've gotten 3 new cards in the past year, and 3 in the year before that, so I agree that it might be difficult to get co-branded cards from Chase now too.
See my post from earlier today. I also applied for a co-brand card and was told call in. It was painless and I was approved no problem. I'd go ahead and call.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Brewer20
See my post from earlier today. I also applied for a co-brand card and was told call in. It was painless and I was approved no problem. I'd go ahead and call.
Yes but that isn't the same for everyone. It's very much YMMV at the moment. I was told to call in for the Hyatt card and was denied with an 806 credit score! I had to call twice and escalate to a Senior Analyst who finally agreed to approve the card. Assuming the OP hasn't opened too many new cards recently he probably will be safe calling in; otherwise I would advise against it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.